General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

5 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

No idea where to put this but here seems fine.

What age is okay for kids to say play games such as GTA and call of duty? Can name otherw but these are the games in question/ debate 

It completely depends on the kid. Same for any other form of media. It's important for parents to know their own weans and what's liable to upset them, or influence them negatively. Some children are able to watch things from an early age and think "this is entertaining, but it's fiction, and should stay there". Other kids will see fictional antisocial behaviours and want to bring it into the real world.

The parents who tend to have the biggest problems are the ones who don't really care and will let their kids see and do whatever they want for an easy life. On the other side, most of us probably knew a kid growing up who wouldn't be allowed to watch something like Raiders of the Lost Ark purely because it was a PG certificate, and their parents refused to allow them to see anything stronger than Universal rated films out of laziness. Everyone felt for those poor b*****ds.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

On the other side, most of us probably knew a kid growing up who wouldn't be allowed to watch something like Raiders of the Lost Ark purely because it was a PG certificate, and their parents refused to allow them to see anything stronger than Universal rated films out of laziness. Everyone felt for those poor b*****ds.

This happened today. Youngest was playing GTA and he is 9 and had his friend around. Didn't mind and they were happy enough. His friend then came downstairs and told me he isnt allowed to play this game. I felt bad at the time as I didn't think anything of it at first if he be allowed so got them to change game which he was fine with. But aye was a scenario I didn't think of 

Just now, Robin.Hood said:

This happened today. Youngest was playing GTA and he is 9 and had his friend around. Didn't mind and they were happy enough. His friend then came downstairs and told me he isnt allowed to play this game. I felt bad at the time as I didn't think anything of it at first if he be allowed so got them to change game which he was fine with. But aye was a scenario I didn't think of 

Yeah, you can understand with stuff like GTA, but it doesn't necessarily occur to you about other folks' kids if you're comfortable with what your own are doing.

Some parents are OK, but there are always some wallopers who'll arrive on your doorstep to tear a strip off you for corrupting the mind of their poor innocent. Thankfully hasn't happened to me, but I do remember some kids at my school whose mothers were notorious for it.

6 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

No idea where to put this but here seems fine.

What age is okay for kids to say play games such as GTA and call of duty? Can name otherw but these are the games in question/ debate 

I think it purely depends on the kid to be honest.  I don't think there's necessarily much wrong with the content in most of the games.  Nothing that would really screw kids up or anything.  It's about whether the kid can take the likes of the violence and just accept that it's a game.  That's difficult to tell of course, and not like you'll really know until he's got a prostitute in his car and heading to the airport.  I've got a 4 year old so a way off that kind of stuff yet, but it's hard to say personally when I'd do it. If his pals are playing those kinds of games, he'll likely either get to see them there or be left out. Difficult one.

I remember asking my dear old Da for one of two games for a Christmas or Birthday.  One of them was GTA, but having heard that it was full of questionable material, he baulked at that.  The other one was The Getaway, which of course didn't have any bad stuff in it at all.

45 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

A weirdo kid like this is almost definitely gonnae grass you in. 

Just to blow my credibility on this topic, my son used to love watching me play Serious Sam, and I built him his first PC when he was 4 so we could play in co-op mode.

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

A weirdo kid like this is almost definitely gonnae grass you in. 

Yeah, I never understood the kids who would tell their mates' parents that they weren't allowed to do things. I don't remember ever being in that position, but you can bet your arse that if a mate had produced a film/game that I thought I wouldn't be allowed to see, I'd have kept my mouth shut!

Kid at school once told me not to put on a Guns 'n' Roses album as his mum wouldn't let him listen to them. We were alone in the house  :mellow:

Edit: ...and we were both 12.

Edited by BFTD

As a teenager, my parents didn't want me playing games with an 18 rating to the extent that they called the parents of a mate to tell them I wasnt allowed to watch or play Duke Nukem 3d when I went over.

I must have been about 13 or 14. An utter riddy.

Or at one point, Metal Gear Solid!

Why?

My dad read a bullshit article somewhere that because Snake could use diazapam to steady his hands for the sniper rifle, it would turn me into a dribbling junky.

Raging doesn't cover what I felt at the time and I'm still annoyed thinking about it 20 odd years later.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

As a teenager, my parents didn't want me playing games with an 18 rating to the extent that they called the parents of a mate to tell them I wasnt allowed to watch or play Duke Nukem 3d when I went over.

Quite right. Your mate Baracus saw pixelated tits when he was that age, and look what happened to him.

Edited by BFTD
All fingers and thumbs today

I remember my older brother hiding a copy of GTA III he'd acquired from my other brother's brother-in-law; presumably under the guise that "you canny let a 9 year old play that"

I remember almost feeling a sense of betrayal given that I was a proud owner of GTA II. 

I'm sure there's a mission in GTA II where you turn people into hotdogs to be consumed by other people. 

...I wonder if I used this example to reason with them.

I'm sure there's a mission in GTA II where you turn people into hotdogs to be consumed by other people.

Might be thinking of 'Dead Meat' from Liberty City Stories where you kill an individual & then deliver them as meat.

In III there's a set of hidden phone missions where it's implied victims are turned into dog food.

17 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

My mum and dad were kinda similar, they didn't allow me to own a GTA game until I was 13, when San Andreas came out. Although I was allowed to play at a friends or borrow their copy.

19 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Might be thinking of 'Dead Meat' from Liberty City Stories where you kill an individual & then deliver them as meat.

In III there's a set of hidden phone missions where it's implied victims are turned into dog food.

Did a quick Google. Think it's "Hot Dog Homicide!" from GTA II. Watched it on YouTube there. Horrifying 😂

• 2 weeks later...