General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

The best place to look is about 3 years ago before everything became hard to get and the prices shot up.
Seriously, though, if you want to buy something off the shelf you'll probably be ok, although you might still have to pay a little more, or wait a little longer. 
I would go for and AMD cpu over intel and and NVIDIA card over AMD but without knowing your budget its hard to give any more detail recommendations.
I've got a series x so I'm not desperate for a PC and didn't realise how hard it is and how expensive to acquire some of the components of a computer, after looking I could easily build myself but think I'll wait and see if prices start to fall after this covid shite blows over.

46 minutes ago, Empty It said:
3 hours ago, Mr X said:
The best place to look is about 3 years ago before everything became hard to get and the prices shot up.
Seriously, though, if you want to buy something off the shelf you'll probably be ok, although you might still have to pay a little more, or wait a little longer. 
I would go for and AMD cpu over intel and and NVIDIA card over AMD but without knowing your budget its hard to give any more detail recommendations.

I've got a series x so I'm not desperate for a PC and didn't realise how hard it is and how expensive to acquire some of the components of a computer, after looking I could easily build myself but think I'll wait and see if prices start to fall after this covid shite blows over.

Graphics cards are already showing signs of dropping in price. Nowhere near msrp or what they should but it's a step in the right direction. Other components are pretty much as they should be bar some niche stuff like sfx (small form factor) power supplies.

Is RAM still the one that's super expensive?  Was when I was trying to get it a while back. Although the extent of "gaming" that's done since it was built was Football Manager.  Basically been the wife's office for 18 months.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Is RAM still the one that's super expensive?  Was when I was trying to get it a while back. Although the extent of "gaming" that's done since it was built was Football Manager.  Basically been the wife's office for 18 months.

No idea at the moment, but RAM prices can flip up and down like yer maw's knickers. If it's expensive now, put the purchase off for a while and it'll be back to being cheap as chips soon enough.

There was a time in the Nineties when I bought (IIRC) a 128MB stick of memory and sold it again a few weeks later for the same price with an extra zero on the end. There'd been a massive fire at a plant in Asia that manufactured most of the chips, and that was enough to make prices skyrocket for a while.

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

As someone who has never played a Mass Effect game before, is the new Legendary Edition worth paying full price for?

RPGS are my favourite genre but I somehow missed out on the Mass Effect series.

I've got some free time upcoming and was looking to treat myself to a new game. Willing to pay the price of a 'new' game but can't decide on what to get.

do it!

On 24/06/2021 at 17:17, Stormzy said:

That's my YT queue sitting at 26 now for the night! 😂

I've watched a few funny XQC ones of late (he's a bit of a fanny but can be funny) and he basically shoots cops then gets triggered when they catch him, gets super salty accusing everyone of cheating and stream sniping etc then eventually getting banned from the server. He had a brilliant storyline where he would find out when the street races were taking place then he would go up the path and block the routes with lorries and other big vehicles. Absolutley hilarious to hear these guys clearly really pissed off but having to try and keep in character. 

I've probably learned 4 or 5 different nerdy RP terms today from him "maulding" alone. 

I would love to watch Limmy do this and try and keep it relativley serious, he's so funny at voice acting and improv he would be perfect at it but I can't imagine him enjoying it or playing by the rules. 

Being a fan of UK rap the in game music scene is fascinating. They have record labels and stuff, this song would actually make it to my playlist.

Since I've posted this the song has amassed over 1 million views on different platforms. 

Official music video is insane considering it's GTA. Mental how this song was born through RP and is now potentially making the artist a career in the music business. 

Been up a few hours and had a quarter of a million views.. 

Edited by Stormzy

I was playing Red Dead Online the other day and I was AFK and someone came along and dragged me with a lasso, I escaped and killed them numerous times then fled the area, they then sent me a message calling me a pussy, I replied calling them a wee c**t and now I've recieved a 3 day ban for abusive communications.

I'm actually kinda impressed with how they baited me in. 

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

As someone who has never played a Mass Effect game before, is the new Legendary Edition worth paying full price for?

RPGS are my favourite genre but I somehow missed out on the Mass Effect series.

I've got some free time upcoming and was looking to treat myself to a new game. Willing to pay the price of a 'new' game but can't decide on what to get.

If you already like RPGs, the only question is whether or not you like sci-fi. They lean more towards action after the first game, but you might not think that's necessarily a bad thing. There's literally hundreds of hours of gameplay in there, and most of it is fun too. Good storylines with engaging characters, and you might even find yourself wiping away the odd manly tear.

Personally, I'm of the belief that anyone who doesn't like them is for the watching, but YMMV.

48 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Thanks chaps, I'll probably go for it then.

I'll send you the bill if I don't like it.

We'll send you somewhere if you don't  :lol:

It's got huge replay value too, with the paragon/renegade and male/fem Shepherd options. After I'm done with my paragon Jon Shep playthrough right now, I'm starting a renegade Femshep intent on shagging as much of the galaxy as possible (except the Volus')

Finally slogged my way to the end of Dragon Age Inquisition. Started it plenty of times but never got very far until now.

I don't think the story is nearly as good as either of the first two games and they got carried away trying to make the game too big for the sake of it, with 95% of the side quests having no relation to the main story.

Too many returning characters didn't help either. A little overlap is nice but Varric, who is a truly brilliant character in DA2, just doesn't have the same impact here and should never have been a main companion again. To my surprise I quite liked Cassandra by the end and Cullen, Bull & Blackwall were all decent.

From stories online Dragon Age 4 seems to have changed direction umpteen times, including getting rid of many staff who've been involved in DA games for years, so I'm not holding out much hope of better in the next installment. 

I'm going to move on to either Final Fantasy 15 or Persona 5 next. Not sure which yet.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Finally slogged my way to the end of Dragon Age Inquisition. Started it plenty of times but never got very far until now.
I don't think the story is nearly as good as either of the first two games and they got carried away trying to make the game too big for the sake of it, with 95% of the side quests having no relation to the main story.
Too many returning characters didn't help either. A little overlap is nice but Varric, who is a truly brilliant character in DA2, just doesn't have the same impact here and should never have been a main companion again. To my surprise I quite liked Cassandra by the end and Cullen, Bull & Blackwall were all decent.
From stories online Dragon Age 4 seems to have changed direction umpteen times, including getting rid of many staff who've been involved in DA games for years, so I'm not holding out much hope of better in the next installment. 
I'm going to move on to either Final Fantasy 15 or Persona 5 next. Not sure which yet.

Persona 5 is better although the Royal edition is the way to play it given all the optimisations and additional semester of content.

20 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Persona 5 is better although the Royal edition is the way to play it given all the optimisations and additional semester of content.

I tried to get into that last week but I found it quite irritating and chucked it pretty quickly. Is it worth sticking with?

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

I tried to get into that last week but I found it quite irritating and chucked it pretty quickly. Is it worth sticking with?

If you've got the time to devote to completing the first major dungeon then it's worth doing that and if it's not clicking then chuck it because it mostly stays like that for the obscene run time. It did take me 3 attempts to get into it and even then I had upgraded to the definitive edition which added a ton of good shit.

25 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Was about to cancel my PS Now subscription when I noticed they added a few intriguing games this month.

Red Dead Redemption II was added and having never tried it I thought I might as well give it a bash.

Just the 110GB download then...

Enjoy the next 6 months. It really is a top drawer game.

I've been meaning to do this since NotThePars' FF7 statue. Blame him. I'm sorry. These pictures are all large so... sorry. Here's all my video game related shite

1.thumb.png.4e9043189b69891016d0216b1490ce9a.png

This is my Collector's Edition of Gran Turismo Sport. I got this from Amazon during their 2018 Black Friday sale. On the Thursday night it was £50 and I asked myself do I really want to spend £50 to get a game I already have, a big book, a model car, a copy of the game I already have in a steelbook case and some in-game credits? Do I really? On Friday at work I convinced myself yes, I did. Then I went online and it was £30. I've never clicked buy as quickly on anything in my life.

To celebrate 2021 (probably) being the last official seasons of GT Sport's FIA-certified Championships I started looking for a model of the Nissan GT-R I'd driven in the Manufacturer Series ever since I started doing the races regularly. I couldn't find the model that's in-game but I did find that one, which is very close to the livery I run on the car in terms of colours and design, so that's cool. The 787B and the R390 are the result of my just getting lots of suggestions for model cars on my Amazon home page and not having the will-power to say no. I'm not crazy about the Mazda though, the orange is too bright and there's a chip on the rear wing. You get what you pay for I guess, the GT-R was £40 from ebay and the other two were £16-17 each. 

2.thumb.png.c4b76e2c098c0b2e048a375d03479b4c.png

This is the GT Sport steelbook and my Batman Arkham games steelbook. I probably wouldn't have bought this one if I'd realised Arkham Knight wasn't on-disc.

3.thumb.png.fd6cfb7329654ec9b76362215c3efb5c.png

This is my steelbook of the Bayonetta/Vanquish collection, which was very reasonably priced when I got it.

Cl3eyDI.png

This is a close-up of it.

33T1M8B.png

Modern Warfare 2 and Tower of Guns steelbooks. I forgot to get the MW2 art book that came with it. Tower of Guns is a game I've played on PS4 and PS3 already. I got this version (which has a different trophy list) purely out of bemusement, I had no idea such a niche game would have a steelbook release.

MKBkSQq.png

This is my fancy version of Heavy Rain. When this game came out I made a bunch of those origami birds and dotted them around my school. A girl, who was that year awarded Rear of the Year in our yearbook and who the resident lecherous P.E. teacher tried to get fired into at the end of year party, recognised what they were. Perhaps I should have known her better.

On a related note, I recently discovered there's a 15th anniversary edition of David Cage's previous game, Faherenheit/Indigo Prophecy, on sale on Amazon for ~£25. Someone tell me I shouldn't buy it. Please.

xOApYGP.png

Here's my copy of the Annapurna Collection, a collection of eight games published by Annapurna Interactive. Each game is on disc, and has its own foreward from the studio responsible for them, like this:

NKyC1li.png

g0AwIvM.png

This is the special edition of BioShock 2, the poster advertisements not shown. I remember how annoyed I was they weren't actual posters that were in the first game:

ZTumkSQ.png

eyjnsRH.png

Here's my Mirror's Edge Catalyst collector's edition which I bought without looking at the size of it and expecting the statue to just sit on my PS4. Yeah. That's the box it came in and the steelbook for the game. I'm thinking about Catalyst right now and thinking of it much more fondly than I did when I finished it. I love the first Mirror's Edge. The second game ruined Faith as a character.

Fun fact: I got this for £15. According to the internet this apparently cost £150. The box it was shipped in says it's number 386 of 1000. Were they expecting £150,000 worth of sales?

jiehI7l.png

This is my assortment of strategy guides and art book. If I had anywhere proper to put them I'd have loads more art books. 

4Bmm2Yj.png

This is my PS4 and a pair of WipEout models, a Feisar and AG Systems ship. The Feisar is the wrong colour, the blue should be darker and the brown bit should be closer to grey. You can see now how hilariously over-sized the Mirror's Edge statue would have been. 

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

This is probably a shite place to put this but just with discussion of models and stuff...

One time I wrote a poem for the "Funday Times" IIRC it was an insert in the Sunday Times aimed at kids and had cartoons and competitions and stuff.... anyway, being the lyrical miracle spiritual individual that I am i actually won the letter of the week and was the top boi, they sent me a bunch of batman figures as a prize, had a wee batmobile and everything, I wasn't into that stuff anyway so just put them in the cupboard. Fast forward a bunch of years and me and my dad were doing a car boot sale for the first time (pretty much just me and my sister clearing out our childhood toys) bear in mind this is in the Scottish Borders in a town with less than 2k people living there... I had the unopened batman toys on offer and some fat sweaty b*****d came along and throughly examined the packaging and details and then offered to buy 2 of them at more than I had them for sale and 1 of them for less because it had some nerdy defect he had noticed. It obviously wasn't a lot of money, probably over a tenner for 3 figures I was selling for a fiver or some shit but it still blew my brain that there were actually people out there searching for these toys like they're gold. 

I finally completed Mass Effect Legendary edition. Never had the previous DLC before, some cracking moments. I completely messed up the Party DLC though and didn't have everyone there.

MaleShep
Paragon playthrough.
Kaiden dies
Everyone survives Suicide Mission
Genophage cured
Originally save Rachni queen
Save Tali but Legion dies, but get both fleets

The ending I also shat it. Needless to say, without spoilers (can't do it on my phone) I tried to shoot something at the end and it gave me a completely new, bad ending. Yikes!