General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

I sometimes think that games could use a smaller map that's packed full of buildings with content, rather than the massive worlds with huge empty spaces that you aren't meant to spend too much time looking at, lest the spell be broken. Cyberpunk 2077 springs instantly to mind.

Yeah, I don't think I'd realised that. Nine months.

Wonder if Rockstar were running 100+ hour weeks back then.

I kinda hated san andreas for that the cities were great, but if you fancied fucking about on the open roads and wrecked your car, you were miles from nowhere, especially if you dont pay attention and end up in the river, took ages to get back to civilisation lol

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2021/jan/28/cheating-open-world-games-assassins-creed-hitman
Just read this and I'm so bemused by this guys reaction to the fact you can play Assasins Creed stealthy. He thinks he's exploiting when turning down the difficulty. 
Aye that is a bit strange. Has the guy never played a AC game before? The stealth is what drew me to the games in the first place. I haven't played Valhalla and I expect folk will think a game about Vikings is going to be a battle royale style but ffs it's an AC game, you have to expect a stealth approach.

Talking about open world games, wonder why they haven't tried a resident evil open world game, done right i think an open world raccoob city game would be fucking tremendous 
It would probably be a bit like Days Gone with zombies scattered around. Though DG was a lot of wasteland, if Resi managed a vast OW in a metropolis city it could be interesting.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
27 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:
Talking about open world games, wonder why they haven't tried a resident evil open world game, done right i think an open world raccoob city game would be fucking tremendous 

It would probably be a bit like Days Gone with zombies scattered around. Though DG was a lot of wasteland, if Resi managed a vast OW in a metropolis city it could be interesting.

Thats what i was thinking, not an open plain, wilderness type game, but lots of buildings, lots of alleys, streets, shops, etc, 

Obviously raccoon city isn't a metropolis, but in the game it had a population of 100k so it could easily be big enough to give variety of play styles

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2021/jan/28/cheating-open-world-games-assassins-creed-hitman
Just read this and I'm so bemused by this guys reaction to the fact you can play Assasins Creed stealthy. He thinks he's exploiting when turning down the difficulty. 

Is there any narrative tension between stealthing your way through Valhalla versus raiding? Ghost of Tsushima tried to force it with flashbacks of your uncle slagging you off for being “dishonourable” if you stealth killed Mongols. What he failed to realise is that leaping off a cliff edge and running a sword through an unsuspecting soldier’s head is sick as shit.

Also that’s absolutely how you play Hitman. It’s impossible to play that game or MGS without being aware of how much dissonance exists between what everyone says about the player character versus how they actually go about their business.

29 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Is there any narrative tension between stealthing your way through Valhalla versus raiding? Ghost of Tsushima tried to force it with flashbacks of your uncle slagging you off for being “dishonourable” if you stealth killed Mongols. What he failed to realise is that leaping off a cliff edge and running a sword through an unsuspecting soldier’s head is sick as shit.

Also that’s absolutely how you play Hitman. It’s impossible to play that game or MGS without being aware of how much dissonance exists between what everyone says about the player character versus how they actually go about their business.

Not any that I've noticed other than dialogue, was doing a mission earlier where I went to bash in the front door and the guy said "do you not think a stealthy approach would be better" so nothing extreme just mild negging now and again. They have plenty of missions and side quests where you can go stealthy then they have a separate thing where you can raid places, I do think it'd be rather strange to do raids stealthily like the guy in the article was saying he did but it's not exactly the twist that I think he thought it was.

Absolutley, i couldn't trust anyone that can play Hitman without a pure off the cuff panick play style. Never been a massive fan personally but I recall enjoying some of the earlier ones, i only ever played it the optimum hitman way one time to get a perfect score and i had to YouTube how to do it, it was a china town style mission and there was two targets but to complete the mission you had to effectively kill them both with 1 sniper bullet. Took me so long, pretty sure this was pre broadband too so might have even been reading a guide to doing it rather than YouTube, never again.

6 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

I think there's been a few attempts that never came out. I seem to remember something that George Romero was involved in before he died. I'm guessing that the people who've tried it have struggled to make it work.

I've seen the point made that horror requires structure in order to work, which would be difficult to do in an open world, where you're free to choose where you want to go next. If you look at games like Dead Rising and Dead Island, they have the trappings of a horror game, but you'd never say that you were in any way scared or creeped out by them; they're more action games with a bit of gore. It's hard to maintain tension when the player can choose to f**k about on side missions for a while, or whatever.

Probably the old Resident Evil games are about as close as you could get, with a limited location that you appear free to explore, although the game's creators are herding you through the narrative and set pieces. The problem is that, if you expand that to a larger area, a city or whatever, you're either going to end up with empty areas of down time and busy work between missions, or a huge amount of work to fill it, and I reckon that a lot of people would get bored way before the end.

Not any that I've noticed other than dialogue, was doing a mission earlier where I went to bash in the front door and the guy said "do you not think a stealthy approach would be better" so nothing extreme just mild negging now and again. They have plenty of missions and side quests where you can go stealthy then they have a separate thing where you can raid places, I do think it'd be rather strange to do raids stealthily like the guy in the article was saying he did but it's not exactly the twist that I think he thought it was.
Absolutley, i couldn't trust anyone that can play Hitman without a pure off the cuff panick play style. Never been a massive fan personally but I recall enjoying some of the earlier ones, i only ever played it the optimum hitman way one time to get a perfect score and i had to YouTube how to do it, it was a china town style mission and there was two targets but to complete the mission you had to effectively kill them both with 1 sniper bullet. Took me so long, pretty sure this was pre broadband too so might have even been reading a guide to doing it rather than YouTube, never again.

The thing is even the best speedruns and 100% suit only silent assassin runs are done with daft shite like flinging wrenches off five guards heads in a row etc the game is deliberately made for that. I don’t think the game devs expect a totally cool badass experience when you have a named objective to dress up as an armoured knight and kill your target with a battle axe

I just noticed that Ruggero Deodato, of Cannibal Holocaust infamy, has a video game coming out. Just thought I'd mention it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1286420/Borneo_A_Jungle_Nightmare/

Exactly how much Deodato has had to do with it, I've no idea, but he has been occasionally trying to get another cannibal movie made for about twenty years - it's had a few titles, but the last I can remember was the deeply imaginative 'Cannibals', and it was supposed to revolve around an outbreak of cannibalism in an urban area, which sounded pretty similar to Antonio Margheriti's Cannibal Apocalypse.

Judging by the limited information online, it seems like this game might be an adaption of his old script, but it's billed as an 'interactive horror graphic adventure' and, looking at what's been released so far, it looks like an old-school '90s adventure in every way. Doesn't mean it's necessarily going to be shit, but I'd suggest there's a good chance, if it even gets finished.

I think there's been a few attempts that never came out. I seem to remember something that George Romero was involved in before he died. I'm guessing that the people who've tried it have struggled to make it work.
I've seen the point made that horror requires structure in order to work, which would be difficult to do in an open world, where you're free to choose where you want to go next. If you look at games like Dead Rising and Dead Island, they have the trappings of a horror game, but you'd never say that you were in any way scared or creeped out by them; they're more action games with a bit of gore. It's hard to maintain tension when the player can choose to f**k about on side missions for a while, or whatever.
Probably the old Resident Evil games are about as close as you could get, with a limited location that you appear free to explore, although the game's creators are herding you through the narrative and set pieces. The problem is that, if you expand that to a larger area, a city or whatever, you're either going to end up with empty areas of down time and busy work between missions, or a huge amount of work to fill it, and I reckon that a lot of people would get bored way before the end.
Quite liked this thread on a similar note:

40 minutes ago, BFTD said:

All resi games end up with areas of downtime, once you clear an area of zombies its clear (aside from the hunters in resi 1,again when they are killed the place is empty) 

With regards to doing an OW resi, i was thinking more like a tight constricted city, with an insane number of zombies (pretty much unable to kill them all ever due to ammo limitations) and to deal with the areas that are cleared, if you kill zombies in an area, the gunshots, explosions or whatever attract other zombies to the same area, but give the player options, going from A to B you have the choice of 3 or 4 routes, each with different positives and negatives not just in the present but in the future (say you take the main street, kill most zombies and dodge the rest, easy enough, but later that street is back teeming with even more enemies, however if you take the shortcut through say an apartment block, you face a tougher first run but its much less enemy populated later on due to it being a closed off area as such) 

I do get what you are saying about downtime boring people, i agree with that, but surely the devs could come up with various ways to stifle the boredom, were talking about a franchise that literally created all sorts of monsters, zombie dogs could constantly hunt you, hell stick a nemesis into open world, bet that aint boring at all 😅😅

After sinking too much time into Horizon Zero Dawn, and finally finishing the last few hours of Spider-Man, I vowed never to touch an open world game for some time. Hence why I picked up and played through Jedi: Fallen Order, and got round to taking the wrap of Ratchet & Clank. No more 100+ hour time sinks for the foreseeable future!

So I installed The Witcher 3 today... ChMampY.png

8 hours ago, yoda said:

After sinking too much time into Horizon Zero Dawn, and finally finishing the last few hours of Spider-Man, I vowed never to touch an open world game for some time. Hence why I picked up and played through Jedi: Fallen Order, and got round to taking the wrap of Ratchet & Clank. No more 100+ hour time sinks for the foreseeable future!

So I installed The Witcher 3 today... ChMampY.png

Aye you'll have the witcher 3 done in a day or two 🙈🙈

So I installed The Witcher 3 today... ChMampY.png&key=cf224edaae4955acaea92a6f8bcb867e86c7026540c7282dd1dd379b78d30c79

With or without DLC?

So I installed The Witcher 3 today... ChMampY.png&key=cf224edaae4955acaea92a6f8bcb867e86c7026540c7282dd1dd379b78d30c79

Dial down your gameplay expectations in the context of those first two and you’ll have a whale of a time

All resi games end up with areas of downtime, once you clear an area of zombies its clear (aside from the hunters in resi 1,again when they are killed the place is empty) 
With regards to doing an OW resi, i was thinking more like a tight constricted city, with an insane number of zombies (pretty much unable to kill them all ever due to ammo limitations) and to deal with the areas that are cleared, if you kill zombies in an area, the gunshots, explosions or whatever attract other zombies to the same area, but give the player options, going from A to B you have the choice of 3 or 4 routes, each with different positives and negatives not just in the present but in the future (say you take the main street, kill most zombies and dodge the rest, easy enough, but later that street is back teeming with even more enemies, however if you take the shortcut through say an apartment block, you face a tougher first run but its much less enemy populated later on due to it being a closed off area as such) 
I do get what you are saying about downtime boring people, i agree with that, but surely the devs could come up with various ways to stifle the boredom, were talking about a franchise that literally created all sorts of monsters, zombie dogs could constantly hunt you, hell stick a nemesis into open world, bet that aint boring at all [emoji28][emoji28]
Did they not kind of try a similar thing with The Evil Within 2? It was a lot more OW than the first one and you're in a city infested with zombies and other creatures for a fair chunk of the game. Obviously ammo is at a premium so you don't want to explore too much and are directed to certain points in the map to continue the story, but it's the closest I can think of an OW resident evil style game. Shinji Mikami is involved in both too.