General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

It does feel like Todd Howard and Tetsuya Nomura are locked into a struggle for who can cause the most misery to their bizarrely devoted fanbase

Tetsuya Nomura: what if I take 15 years to release the conclusion to my trilogy and it turns out it was all a set up for a cancelled game nobody wanted and everyone forgot about?

Todd Howard: what if I released Skyrim on an Apple Watch instead of developing a sequel?

Edited by NotThePars

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

He did for a little bit because his friends played it. He quickly grew out of it ... hes 13.

I was thinking more the OF side of things  though

Yeah I got that I'm just conscious to the fact the two posts of mine that you've interacted with have been over games your 13 year old enjoys (I'm 27) 

Fortnite is overrated but it is literally one of the most popular games ever if not the most so that's to be expected and mechanically speaking it is extremely complicated and it definitely suits G Fuel addled children with never ending muscle memory, having said that I was quite good relatively speaking with a modded controller (back paddles) but now I'm on PS5 they don't have that yet and the backwards compatibility is fucked so I need to use the regular PS5 controller if I wanna play so I cba. 

Also I predicted that celtc would have the same deal but not want to post it and I was vindicated 2 hours later when they didnt even post it just merely RT'd an account that mentioned it, it still got tonnes of abuse. 

Yeah I got that I'm just conscious to the fact the two posts of mine that you've interacted with have been over games your 13 year old enjoys (I'm 27) 
Fortnite is overrated but it is literally one of the most popular games ever if not the most so that's to be expected and mechanically speaking it is extremely complicated and it definitely suits G Fuel addled children with never ending muscle memory, having said that I was quite good relatively speaking with a modded controller (back paddles) but now I'm on PS5 they don't have that yet and the backwards compatibility is fucked so I need to use the regular PS5 controller if I wanna play so I cba. 
Also I predicted that celtc would have the same deal but not want to post it and I was vindicated 2 hours later when they didnt even post it just merely RT'd an account that mentioned it, it still got tonnes of abuse. 

It's one of the most popular games down to it being free. It was a masterstroke by the developers. A simple game, make it free then fleece them with add ons in game. I'm skeptical it would have been so popular if there was a £50 price tag on it. Not everyone would be able to afford it/I doubt many folk would pay such a price for a game that's so repetitive.

49 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's one of the most popular games down to it being free. It was a masterstroke by the developers. A simple game, make it free then fleece them with add ons in game. I'm skeptical it would have been so popular if there was a £50 price tag on it. Not everyone would be able to afford it/I doubt many folk would pay such a price for a game that's so repetitive.

Yeah I agree mostly, I'm not going to complain about a free game. I wouldn't say the game is repetitive though, compared to almost every online pvp it changes lots regularly and has always been a pace setter in those terms. 

Warzone is free as well but I don’t think it has close to the same numbers or will have near the longevity or cultural impact as Fortnite has had. I do think it’s comfortably the best BR on the market as it’s lifted and refined the best aspects of PUBG, Apex and the other ones I can’t mind the name of.

Yeah I agree mostly, I'm not going to complain about a free game. I wouldn't say the game is repetitive though, compared to almost every online pvp it changes lots regularly and has always been a pace setter in those terms. 

I haven't played in years so can't really comment on what it's like now. But when I did play, you were dropped, you found weapons and wood, you moved into the circle every 3 min or so, you tried to be the last man standing by killing everyone/building to hide. Die. Repeat.

It may well have changed though but certainly that was very repetitive when I used to play it.

Warzone is free as well but I don’t think it has close to the same numbers or will have near the longevity or cultural impact as Fortnite has had. I do think it’s comfortably the best BR on the market as it’s lifted and refined the best aspects of PUBG, Apex and the other ones I can’t mind the name of.

I haven't played Warzone but know it was free. I don't know anything else about the game tbh. Fortnite was a fun game obviously and I can see why it's popular. I just think it's over-rated though, even objectively speaking, that's all.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I haven't played in years so can't really comment on what it's like now. But when I did play, you were dropped, you found weapons and wood, you moved into the circle every 3 min or so, you tried to be the last man standing by killing everyone/building to hide. Die. Repeat.

It may well have changed though but certainly that was very repetitive when I used to play it.

I haven't played Warzone but know it was free. I don't know anything else about the game tbh. Fortnite was a fun game obviously and I can see why it's popular. I just think it's over-rated though, even objectively speaking, that's all.

Well yeah it is a battle royale that's not going to change, I mean what you're saying you could apply to every single game. You could describe Call Of Duty as a game where you kill people for 5 mins then go again. 

In the field of BR's it has certainly evolved more than any other through map changes, weapon changes, different forms of movement.

Well yeah it is a battle royale that's not going to change, I mean what you're saying you could apply to every single game. You could describe Call Of Duty as a game where you kill people for 5 mins then go again. 
In the field of BR's it has certainly evolved more than any other through map changes, weapon changes, different forms of movement.

I would say that about CoD, another over-rated game [emoji38]

It point doesn't apply to story based games.

It's what folk enjoy is important. I just find BR in general boring after a few plays. It's maybe the wording of folk that annoys me more than anything. Folk who say they are "great" games rather than 'enjoyable' games. It's obviously a petty thing on my part.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

I would say that about CoD, another over-rated game emoji38.png

It's what folk enjoy is important. I just find BR in general boring after a few plays. It's maybe the wording of folk that annoys me more than anything. Folk who say they are "great" games rather than 'enjoyable' games. It's obviously a petty thing on my part.

Yeah I fully get that. I prefer offline games mostly but some people just aren't built for it. I am so over BRs in general.

37 minutes ago, G51 said:

Been bored as f**k recently so started replaying some classics. Bought Oblivion for 2 quid off Steam and it's thoroughly enjoyable.

I think we underrate just how good the classics are.

I used to spend like 5 hours just running around doing basically nothing in that game yet I couldn't even play any ES/ non-New Vegas Fallout game for 15 minutes anymore without taking Valium. I dunno when my love affair with Bethesda ended but it's been rough.

33 minutes ago, G51 said:

Been bored as f**k recently so started replaying some classics. Bought Oblivion for 2 quid off Steam and it's thoroughly enjoyable.

I think we underrate just how good the classics are.

The fun thing about replaying a lot of these old games is that people are still working on many of them in their spare time, whether it's just to improve the audiovisuals, or to add entirely new gameplay.

I like to go back to games like Quake and Doom every now and then, just to see what people have been doing with them. Very rarely does it not melt my mind. One of this year's aims is to build a new PC with one of those raytracing video cards and utterly waste it on twenty year old games.

12 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I used to spend like 5 hours just running around doing basically nothing in that game yet I couldn't even play any ES/ non-New Vegas Fallout game for 15 minutes anymore without taking Valium. I dunno when my love affair with Bethesda ended but it's been rough.

You never know mate, maybe Bethesda’s new Indiana  Jones game will kick some life back into that relationship!*

*almost certainly won’t 

Edited by G51

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The fun thing about replaying a lot of these old games is that people are still working on many of them in their spare time, whether it's just to improve the audiovisuals, or to add entirely new gameplay.

I like to go back to games like Quake and Doom every now and then, just to see what people have been doing with them. Very rarely does it not melt my mind. One of this year's aims is to build a new PC with one of those raytracing video cards and utterly waste it on twenty year old games.

Aye, I think I might go back and do Morrowind again after this - the OpenMW stuff looks absolutely incredible.

Im a bit jealous of the people who fall so hard for a game that you dedicate twenty years to f**k about with it.