General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

On 03/10/2020 at 13:01, 19QOS19 said:

Has anyone had issues with PS4 controllers? I have 4 and there is an issue with all of them. I bought one from Tesco a few months back and it had similar problems. I've bought one the other night and I'm not certain that isn't on the blink as well. Have I just been unlucky or could there be a problem with the actual console?

Dont know what issue you're having but I've had a couple controllers die and it turned out I had been using my phone charger (a samsung fast charge) to charge them and something about it being fast charge had been messing them up.

Dont know what issue you're having but I've had a couple controllers die and it turned out I had been using my phone charger (a samsung fast charge) to charge them and something about it being fast charge had been messing them up.
You could be playing football (or any game), going in one direction and then the player just stops. Or in a FPS the camera would just constantly rotate. Couldn't use headphones either as it was jumpy. Ended up having to slap the controller which usually worked.

I've since discovered it's a Bluetooth issue. Since disconnecting the Bluetooth and just using a wire on the controller I haven't had any problems. Good and bad as I forked out £150 for controllers ffs.

So... the new PS4 update requires you to opt in to use party chat and the condition is that it will be recorded for future usage and reports and such. 

Anarchy...

If this came out when I was younger it would be curtains, joke reporting your friends etc... 

Death Stranding is such a strange game. I find it difficult to motivate myself to turn it on but when I do I end up playing for several hours. The gameplay loop is hard to sell to myself let alone anyone else but it is really compulsive. I constantly come to what feels like a natural switching off point but I end up taking on some more orders so I can watch the numbers go up.

It's also a bit of a mess. I've played for upwards of 25 hours now and I still don't understand half the game's systems even after I've used them for most of the game time. It doesn't feel particularly challenging but I don't really feel any desire to up the difficulty. Yet. Any serious mistakes I make are either because I'm not paying attention and drive into deep water,  I take way too long in the timefall and don't keep my cargo safe, or my gammy controller leads me right into a BT.

It also has a lot of that Kojima nonsense. Everyone's name is hilarious and it's simultaneously extremely juvenile and intellectual in its approach. I'll sit and read some notes about the concept of death throughout history before I take some packages to the wind farm which is overseen by Jake Wind. While I'm on my way I'll chug some Monster Energy and throw my piss at the eerie dead spirit floating in the air. Even within that though as much as Kojima loves to induce an eye roll he does have a knack for gaming that I don't see in many other places. Take my extremely bad attention span and the fact I'll read posts, listen to podcasts, or even play something on the PC while I play this. Instead of pausing the game and doing this, I'm encouraged here to leave the game running particularly when there's no timefall occurring. Sam will sit down, doze off to recover stamina and all my solar powered equipment will gradually recover before I pick up and keep playing.

I'm not sure when I'll finish this and unlike, say, Persona I don't feel much compulsion to. I'm enjoying it though. 

8 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Death Stranding is such a strange game. I find it difficult to motivate myself to turn it on but when I do I end up playing for several hours. The gameplay loop is hard to sell to myself let alone anyone else but it is really compulsive. I constantly come to what feels like a natural switching off point but I end up taking on some more orders so I can watch the numbers go up.

It's also a bit of a mess. I've played for upwards of 25 hours now and I still don't understand half the game's systems even after I've used them for most of the game time. It doesn't feel particularly challenging but I don't really feel any desire to up the difficulty. Yet. Any serious mistakes I make are either because I'm not paying attention and drive into deep water,  I take way too long in the timefall and don't keep my cargo safe, or my gammy controller leads me right into a BT.

It also has a lot of that Kojima nonsense. Everyone's name is hilarious and it's simultaneously extremely juvenile and intellectual in its approach. I'll sit and read some notes about the concept of death throughout history before I take some packages to the wind farm which is overseen by Jake Wind. While I'm on my way I'll chug some Monster Energy and throw my piss at the eerie dead spirit floating in the air. Even within that though as much as Kojima loves to induce an eye roll he does have a knack for gaming that I don't see in many other places. Take my extremely bad attention span and the fact I'll read posts, listen to podcasts, or even play something on the PC while I play this. Instead of pausing the game and doing this, I'm encouraged here to leave the game running particularly when there's no timefall occurring. Sam will sit down, doze off to recover stamina and all my solar powered equipment will gradually recover before I pick up and keep playing.

I'm not sure when I'll finish this and unlike, say, Persona I don't feel much compulsion to. I'm enjoying it though. 

Not sure where you are in the game chapter-wise, but the pacing ends up being way off.  You spend a massive middle part of the game delivering packages that don't really mean much other than being very pretty (and addictive) fetch quests.  But there's a point where all those kind of disappear, and you're doing constant slightly different story-based missions, peppered with the usual lengthy Kojima cutscenes.  I won't spoil the end period of the game, but what could have derailed the game ends up being a really satisfying ending in the last 30 minutes or so.

I rushed to try and complete it as I knew FIFA 21 was coming, and I'd feel compelled to spend a lot of time on that.  Expected that once I completed it, I'd be happy to leave it behind, but I've found myself wanting to go back in and keep progressing after the end game.  I think it's a masterpiece.  Definitely a flawed one, but a masterpiece nonetheless.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

Not sure where you are in the game chapter-wise, but the pacing ends up being way off.  You spend a massive middle part of the game delivering packages that don't really mean much other than being very pretty (and addictive) fetch quests.  But there's a point where all those kind of disappear, and you're doing constant slightly different story-based missions, peppered with the usual lengthy Kojima cutscenes.  I won't spoil the end period of the game, but what could have derailed the game ends up being a really satisfying ending in the last 30 minutes or so.

I rushed to try and complete it as I knew FIFA 21 was coming, and I'd feel compelled to spend a lot of time on that.  Expected that once I completed it, I'd be happy to leave it behind, but I've found myself wanting to go back in and keep progressing after the end game.  I think it's a masterpiece.  Definitely a flawed one, but a masterpiece nonetheless.

I'm on chapter three still. Trying to hit 5 stars on everyone before I move on. Is there a point to it? Who knows!

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I'm on chapter three still. Trying to hit 5 stars on everyone before I move on. Is there a point to it? Who knows!

Chapter 3 I think is the longest one, and probably with the "least going on".  I think I got really bogged down in doing stuff too - for me it was building those fucking roads - but read later on that you should always concentrate on the story missions, as the rewards you end up getting for maxing out people don't really give you much of a boost in the story.  But it's hard even to do that.  Like you say, you don't' even know why you do it sometimes, but it's always "well, if I deliver this, I could take this too", and then you get there and think "I'm going that way anyway".  And you've just played another hour or so.  I could've just concentrated on the story, but I spent absolutely ages making sure I had a nice smooth run of concrete all across the map.  Was it worth it in the end?  Was it f**k!

On 08/10/2020 at 11:33, Stellaboz said:

Getting intrigued into getting AC: Unity. But I haven't properly played AC since 3, where I didn't finish it as Connor was boring as f**k. 

Absolutely loved Ezio's story, and the games where he's involved. Should I play something else before Unity to really enjoy it? 

Play Black Flag. It's the highlight of the series. Hasn't been topped.

I haven't played a call of duty since MW3. 

I've lost track of the most recent ones and I want to get one for Christmas. Which one IS everyone playing at the moment or is there any coming out?

Also can anyone recommend a driving game to play with with my 8 year old son.  Fun rather than technical. Don't mind if it's out a while as I can pick it up 2nd hand.

Xbox 1 

Why is the PS Store so fucking expensive? I wanted to get either the FF8 remaster or The Last of Us on my PS4 and both were €20. WTF! Plumped for the Last of Us because I only played it through once like 5 or 6 years ago. 
If the store was reasonable I'd just get a digital PS5 but it's a rip off like you say. They do do regular deals where you can pick up a bargain but for the most part the prices are ridiculous. Missing a trick big time. If it was £5/10 cheaper than everywhere else they'd make a fortune as everyone would surely use it.

Mental. Utterly mental.

Actually I really fancy playing through the Journey on Fifa, having played the first one on 17 and a little on 19, but they're not even available to download. Trying not to clutter up the place with game boxes so downloading is preferred.
If I was in my own place, would happily go grab them for a couple of euros somewhere but aye.

Apparently the PS and Microsoft stores are generally better in other countries or there’s good digital alternatives. Apart from CD keys which hasn’t been decent for a few years I can’t think of any alternatives that make getting the cheaper next gen consoles worthwhile. Really don’t want to be at the mercy of occasional store sales.

That said, neither store is anywhere near as bad as Nintendo’s and both are far better for playing older titles.

The Last of Us Remastered is currently £15.99 on the store. That seems reasonable for a title like that, although it's still dearer than a physical copy of the game from amazon right now (11.99). 

You can always use a website like https://psprices.com/ to better judge your game purchases, unless you need to play something immediately. 

Apparently the PS and Microsoft stores are generally better in other countries or there’s good digital alternatives. Apart from CD keys which hasn’t been decent for a few years I can’t think of any alternatives that make getting the cheaper next gen consoles worthwhile. Really don’t want to be at the mercy of occasional store sales.

That said, neither store is anywhere near as bad as Nintendo’s and both are far better for playing older titles.
I just checked the Indonesian store for Last Of Us Remastered and it is £14.60 with the currency exchange.

The games are definitely cheaper over here on the PS Store.