General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

12 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Why did games companies stop just calling stuff like Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed 3. Worked fine for Ultima.

I think Assassin's Creed 3 was at least the fifth or sixth game in the series by that point so they’d already fucked it.

Edited by Rodhull

12 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Why did games companies stop just calling stuff like Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed 3. Worked fine for Ultima.

I read an article a few years back from one of the big development companies that basically said if you call games by numbered sequels it puts people off who haven't played it from the start.

"Nah, I won't buy AC5, I haven't played any of the other 4".

57 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I read an article a few years back from one of the big development companies that basically said if you call games by numbered sequels it puts people off who haven't played it from the start.

"Nah, I won't buy AC5, I haven't played any of the other 4".

Call me a moron, but that's how it goes for me. There are a number of games I've missed out on due to that nagging feeling that I should start from the first one, the Assassin's Creed series being an example.

It's a holdover from older media, I think. You'd never watch The Godfather 3 if you hadn't seen the others, or get wired in to...whatever the third book in the Game of Thrones series is (Return of the King?)

Call me a moron, but that's how it goes for me. There are a number of games I've missed out on due to that nagging feeling that I should start from the first one, the Assassin's Creed series being an example.
It's a holdover from older media, I think. You'd never watch The Godfather 3 if you hadn't seen the others, or get wired in to...whatever the third book in the Game of Thrones series is (Return of the King?)
That's Lord of the Rings. Moron.

On 11/09/2020 at 18:32, Mark Connolly said:

Anyone played the Avengers game?

Just seen this, have you tried it or currently playing it? 

Ive finished the campaign and working through the post campaign mission chains, they are quite decent, the landscapes are quite repetitive but the fighting stays fresh if you change up what hero you choose, 

Looking forward to the free dlc due out in October and November 

Didn't find a topic for it, but finally completed Death Stranding after, apparently, 58 hours, and....wow.

It's a really fucking hard game to categorise.  At times it's utterly infuriating, and a lot of the time - particularly towards the end - you're getting the full force of Kojima's "creative control".  But, despite this being something that really, really shouldn't work, it...really, really does.

Gameplay wise it has issues.  The whole point of the game will absolutely not be everyone, and I could see people getting really bored pretty quickly and leaving it behind.  But I'd encourage people to persist, because I think they do a remarkable job of building things up to keep it fresh.  If anyone doesn't know, the whole gameplay loop is that you're delivering packages.  That's...about it.  But as time goes on, you get asked more and more, you have to start making decisions.  I don't have the stamina to get over that river, or the battery to go around it, so what do I do?  Then you start getting different equipment, and it builds up from there.  Outside of the gameplay, the sound design is incredible, and it looks utterly gorgeous in points.  The set-pieces are incredible.  It's extremely polished.

Cons-wise, there's plenty.  The game has been built for the exploration part, so when combat comes in, it's a bit janky.  The boss battles are interesting and well put together, but a lot of the time the 3rd person and controls aren't up to scratch.  Inventory-wise, it's a bit bloated, and often not explained.  Think the sort of detail MGS5 had at points, but worse.  I will also say that the way the story is told is often long-winded and typically smug.  Stuff gets thrown at you hard and fast, and it often doesn't explain terms it's using.  I expect there's some extra stuff you could find that fills in the blanks, but it could definitely have been told better.  It's also paced a bit weird - early in the game a lot of cutscenes, then hours and hours and hours of nothing, then at the end you're getting true Kojima levels of cutscenes.  But again, without spoiling it too much, in the final minutes of the game, after being beaten to death with cutscenes, there was one of the most harrowing and beautiful scenes I've experienced in a game.

All in all, it's far, far better than I thought it would be.  If you want a game that, at points, is one of those nice, slow-paced exploration-with-story games that you can delve into the universe and spend hours and hours, you'll probably enjoy it.  

4 hours ago, forameus said:

Didn't find a topic for it, but finally completed Death Stranding after, apparently, 58 hours, and....wow.

It's a really fucking hard game to categorise.  At times it's utterly infuriating, and a lot of the time - particularly towards the end - you're getting the full force of Kojima's "creative control".  But, despite this being something that really, really shouldn't work, it...really, really does.

Gameplay wise it has issues.  The whole point of the game will absolutely not be everyone, and I could see people getting really bored pretty quickly and leaving it behind.  But I'd encourage people to persist, because I think they do a remarkable job of building things up to keep it fresh.  If anyone doesn't know, the whole gameplay loop is that you're delivering packages.  That's...about it.  But as time goes on, you get asked more and more, you have to start making decisions.  I don't have the stamina to get over that river, or the battery to go around it, so what do I do?  Then you start getting different equipment, and it builds up from there.  Outside of the gameplay, the sound design is incredible, and it looks utterly gorgeous in points.  The set-pieces are incredible.  It's extremely polished.

Cons-wise, there's plenty.  The game has been built for the exploration part, so when combat comes in, it's a bit janky.  The boss battles are interesting and well put together, but a lot of the time the 3rd person and controls aren't up to scratch.  Inventory-wise, it's a bit bloated, and often not explained.  Think the sort of detail MGS5 had at points, but worse.  I will also say that the way the story is told is often long-winded and typically smug.  Stuff gets thrown at you hard and fast, and it often doesn't explain terms it's using.  I expect there's some extra stuff you could find that fills in the blanks, but it could definitely have been told better.  It's also paced a bit weird - early in the game a lot of cutscenes, then hours and hours and hours of nothing, then at the end you're getting true Kojima levels of cutscenes.  But again, without spoiling it too much, in the final minutes of the game, after being beaten to death with cutscenes, there was one of the most harrowing and beautiful scenes I've experienced in a game.

All in all, it's far, far better than I thought it would be.  If you want a game that, at points, is one of those nice, slow-paced exploration-with-story games that you can delve into the universe and spend hours and hours, you'll probably enjoy it.  

Going by my own experience so far I would recommend to anyone that they play it in chunks. I find logging in for an hour, delivering some packages, slightly advancing the story and gradually figuring out the, at times, Byzantine menus to be the perfect way to play.

I've been playing it in between my increasingly insane Persona sessions (seriously how can I be 3/4s through with 100 hours of playtime???) and it's a nice way to break up playing or doing something else. The typical Kojima lore dumps and cut scenes act as a nice enough contrast to the 45 minutes you spend running around and playing a podcast ime. Also it has all those daft little Kojima touches (I still laugh when Reedus points at his little figures) but I'm still surprised that something as weird as this was made with such a huge budget even accounting for Kojima being one of the last trusted auteurs. It's a bit like RDR2 in that regard in that regardless of how someone feels about it it should be appreciated that a AAA title is willing to push boundaries whether it's the type of game it is or how much it's willing to commit to realism or atmosphere.

Playing the remastered Bioshocks and enjoying it but having problems with he game saves e.g. I'd taken photos of he 3 spider splicers and was about the leave the level to go to the submarine when I saved the game to go back today to get all he little sisters before leaving the level.  Just loaded my last save and it's taken me back to only having taken 1 photo.  Anyone else had problems like his?

Edited by Boostin' Kev