General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

20 hours ago, yoda said:

Recommend me some games, you shits!

This lockdown has been useful for sinking hours on the PS4 and I would now like to pick up another couple of games. I thoroughly enjoyed God Of War (and will probably give the "game plus" mode a spin at some point) and recently finished Spider-Man. I've been mindlessly collecting gems on the Spyro remaster since then (which is more difficult and more frustrating than I remember). But I need a change of scenery, and an alternative to going back and replaying RDR2 from the start.

Picked up a couple of "indie" titles from the PS store, but they'll be short and sweet. Which of the following "big name" titles is worth getting (or are there any others a n00b like me should pick up)?

• The Outer Worlds
  • Jedi Fallen Order
  • Assassin's Creed Origins
  • Horizon Zero Dawn

Finished three out of four of them:

Outer Worlds was well-written, funny and an enjoyable wee shooter but I never had any inclination to start a second run through. Seems like the choices I made felt like the right ones and didn't have much desire to explore any other paths.

Assassin's Creed: Origins is the tighter of the soft rebooted titles in that it won't take a month or two of solid playing to do everything. The new ones are clearly cribbing from The Witcher but all the better for it. Story is engaging and Bayek is a class protag although it's a bit confusing to follow initially.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is probably best in terms of gameplay systems, has a good and unique post-apocalypse story and a suitably anti-cap apocalypse scenario. Also it's mega satisfying to take down a massive crocodile machine with a well placed arrow. 

5 hours ago, spud131 said:

Titanfall 2 Ultimate Edition is available for £4.99 on the Psn store just now. Cracking game, not sure how much of a multilayer community there still is but well worth it for the single player alone.

Yes get Titanfall 2. 5 pound for that story is practically a steal.

Finished KOTOR last night. Total play time was just under 45 hours I think.

Great value for money! The gaming industry sucks so much these days. So greedy.

Just booted up KOTOR2 and it starts with an advert for...KOTOR2. Amusing.

I'm a wee bit shook by this as I thought everyone played games like that through as the good guy first time then as a total b*****d second time
Nah sod that, get it beat then onto the next one.

Great feedback #squad. I've picked up Horizon Zero Dawn and will probably end up getting one of the other ones. I don't think I've played a Resident Evil game as survival horror isn't really my thing, but I could be tempted by one of the remasters.

A few folk have told me to get "The Last Of Us" and "The Witcher III" purchased but they're not really grabbing my attention.

Great feedback #squad. I've picked up Horizon Zero Dawn and will probably end up getting one of the other ones. I don't think I've played a Resident Evil game as survival horror isn't really my thing, but I could be tempted by one of the remasters.
A few folk have told me to get "The Last Of Us" and "The Witcher III" purchased but they're not really grabbing my attention.

I’m supremely jealous that you’re getting to play Horizon Zero Dawn for the first time.

20 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I recommend at least going back having fun with Witcher 1 and 2 first, if you can stick a slightly older, clunkier control system but fun story. It'll be worth it in long run.

I played and loved 3 without bothering with the first two. There's a decent chance playing the first two will just lead you to bounce off without even attempting the third.

Edited by NotThePars

I’ve never played Horizon Zero Dawn but just finished Last of Us 2 and want another time consuming game over the summer so will get it I think. It was either that or Witcher 3 but I prefer science fiction over fantasy (Fallout over Skyrim for example).

It is also one of the big PS5 flagship releases so would be keen to give it a go before that.

The other series of games I’ve always thought about trying is Watchdogs but I’ve seen really mixed things and I don’t think they are on offer via PS Store at the moment.

On 01/07/2020 at 22:38, MixuFruit said:

I'm a wee bit shook by this as I thought everyone played games like that through as the good guy first time then as a total b*****d second time

No, I'm the same. Play them through as I think I would IRL, and that's that. I tried playing through Mass Effect as a total shitgibbon once and gave up after a few hours. I just wanted somebody to grab my Shepard and slap him about, so it wasn't fun.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was great for multiple playthroughs, though. Some of the clans made it feel like a different game, and it was easier to lean into being a douche. I even opened the box as a Ventrue lolz.

7 hours ago, stumigoo said:

I’ve never played Horizon Zero Dawn but just finished Last of Us 2 and want another time consuming game over the summer so will get it I think. It was either that or Witcher 3 but I prefer science fiction over fantasy (Fallout over Skyrim for example).

It is also one of the big PS5 flagship releases so would be keen to give it a go before that.

The other series of games I’ve always thought about trying is Watchdogs but I’ve seen really mixed things and I don’t think they are on offer via PS Store at the moment.

Horizon is great. I took it at a really slow pace and thought it was all the better for it. Really satisfying combat, stunning world to run around in and just a cool story.

I really enjoyed Watch Dogs. The first one was the first game I 100% completed. It did get a fair slating though. I don't know if it was because of the original hype? But it was an enjoyable game. It had a GTA feel about it. The second improved on the first but I'd still play the first again.

If you want time consuming then get RDR2 [emoji38]

6 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

It's a great game but it speeds up far too much near the end with the explaining I felt.

Yeah that one room at the end with like a dozen audio-logs was a bit much   

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I really enjoyed Watch Dogs. The first one was the first game I 100% completed. It did get a fair slating though.

Its just looks like the same bland 3rd person action game that you love to mop up. It's like a Days Gone or whatever the latest (ass)assins creed game is: serviceable but totally uninteresting 

Edited by Doctor

Its just looks like the same bland 3rd person action game that you love to mop up. It's like a Days Gone or whatever the latest (ass)assins creed game is: serviceable but totally uninteresting 
I'll ask you again Ramma: what do you consider a good game, considering you spend all your time in the gaming section complaining about games.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
33 minutes ago, Doctor said:

I'll ask you again Ramma: what do you consider a good game, considering you spend all your time in the gaming section complaining about games.

Hitman 2 is pretty great 

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If it's an open-world game made by Ubisoft it's a pretty easy call to avoid it, really.

They scratch a specific itch (Odyssey was a great game to spend a month blasting through and watching Community in the background) but aye you know what you're getting with them and where they're limited.

If it's an open-world game made by Ubisoft it's a pretty easy call to avoid it, really.
Hardly. AC and Far Cry are a mixed bag but when they have got it right in those franchises they've produced some cracking titles. Watch Dogs were fine games, the first just suffered from being overhyped IMO. Still decent games to pass a few hours without being GOTY contenders.