General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:42, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Yeah, I'm waiting for it to go on sale too, as I've heard it's excellent but has little replay value.

I just saw how cheap that sounds, considering it's £15 and I got Papers Please for buttons. Guess I'll just buy it and support the quality indie dev.

Yes, replay value is non-existent, unless you go back to it in a number of years for whatever reason. But I felt it was well worth the £15 to support games like this.

I never played Papers Please but intend to get it.

I’ve been playing Lemmings a lot over the past few days.

Loved this game back in the day (I had it on floppy disk!) and it still remains a brilliant game. It’s so beautifully made and the soundtrack (midi versions of tunes like ’10 Green Bottles’ and ‘She’ll Be Coming Round The Mountain When She Comes’) is delightful. The whole game is just so fun. Even the animations of Lemmings dying (falling to their deaths, being blown up, being crushed, drowning or being burnt alive!) are fun.

A lovingly crafted game that is a delight to play. Some really taxing levels as well that are bordering on genius in their design.

Game was made in Dundee, and I only discovered a few month ago that there are Lemmings statues in Dundee! I’d actually seen them loads of times before but usually passing on a bus and never realised what they were. Took a wee walk up a few weeks ago to see them up close. 

lm4.jpg.07312863df1454fda29472954cd974d3.jpg

lm2.thumb.jpg.bf46a1a28af3d828a04f8a7ce4561a0d.jpg

lm3.jpg

lm1.jpg

Also, it’s a strangely soothing and relaxing game. I think the combination of nostalgia, the music and trying to figure out how to complete the levels, along with the satisfaction of when you do so, all make it an enjoyable game. There’s no real stress either, as if you fail you can just go right back in to it and try again, knowing where you went wrong, and you won’t lose any progress. There’s no rage quitting with it and it’s not a game you’ll shout at or throw your controller (or mouse) away in anger over.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Game was made in Dundee, and I only discovered a few month ago that there are Lemmings statues in Dundee! I’d actually seen them loads of times before but usually passing on a bus and never realised what they were. Took a wee walk up a few weeks ago to see them up close.

lm4.jpg.07312863df1454fda29472954cd974d3.jpg

That is so smart.

I stayed in student digs in Airlie Place just there, long before that installation was put in.

9 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

That is so smart.

I stayed in student digs in Airlie Place just there, long before that installation was put in.

Aye it's a nice touch. I love wee nods to history like that.

Airlie Place eh? Must have been handy for the Union!

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye it's a nice touch. I love wee nods to history like that.

Airlie Place eh? Must have been handy for the Union!

Sure was... except I was 17 at the time and the bouncers would ask to see my matriculation card if I tried to get in at night :lol:

Sure was... except I was 17 at the time and the bouncers would ask to see my matriculation card if I tried to get in at night [emoji38]

When I was underage I'd sometimes get ID'd getting into Legends at East End on a Friday night. So I'd make sure I was already inside with a beer before they started, then normally they'd not bother.

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I’ve been playing Lemmings a lot over the past few days.

Loved this game back in the day (I had it on floppy disk!) and it still remains a brilliant game. It’s so beautifully made and the soundtrack (midi versions of tunes like ’10 Green Bottles’ and ‘She’ll Be Coming Round The Mountain When She Comes’) is delightful. The whole game is just so fun. Even the animations of Lemmings dying (falling to their deaths, being blown up, being crushed, drowning or being burnt alive!) are fun.

A lovingly crafted game that is a delight to play. Some really taxing levels as well that are bordering on genius in their design.

That is amazing. I did not know that was there either.

What you playing lemming on? where did ye get it?

12 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

That is amazing. I did not know that was there either.

What you playing lemming on? where did ye get it?

It's the Mega Drive/Genesis version but I'm playing it on a Raspberry Pi that my mate filled up with emulators and games

30 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Cheers. there is a Lemmings on the Microsoft store on my laptop. It is the original version but it is quite poorly adapted and can be fiddly.

There are loads of version for free online. Just do a quick search. It's even on Android now!

It surprises me that Lemmings has been forgotten about in recent times. You'd think it's long overdue a new installment.

At least the original has had a few updated releases, albeit ancient (Windows 95). I'd love to see a modern remake of Lemmings 2.

It surprises me that Lemmings has been forgotten about in recent times. You'd think it's long overdue a new installment.
At least the original has had a few updated releases, albeit ancient (Windows 95). I'd love to see a modern remake of Lemmings 2.
Lemmings 3D was honking.
The original version was class.
I doubt the market is there in today's mega game world