General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

23 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

As opposed to "not actual gameplay footage"?

"Game engine footage" sounds like you could just show an entirely different game and say, "yeah, we're using the Unreal Engine too; gonna look a bit like this so get your pre-orders in now"  :lol:

Exactly this. Some companies actually spend (waste) time to make something using the game engine that isn't actually the game itself.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Exactly this. Some companies actually spend (waste) time to make something using the game engine that isn't actually the game itself.

:blink:

I believe you, but links are required. That's mental.

A quick Google to get some links suggests it's not a new practice and has been ongoing for years! I've only just noticed a couple of adverts recently saying 'Game engine footage' rather than 'Not game footage'.

Anyway;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3302ay/game_engine_footage/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/240566/why-do-game-trailers-look-so-much-better-than-the-actual-game/amp/

Yeah, Bungie got torn to shreds for this during Halo 2 I think. Another reason to largely ignore the build up for games so you aren’t left sending death threats because you can’t see every individual strand of facial hair on your character grow in real time.

• 3 weeks later...
How are you getting on with gaming again, [mention=10641]++Ammo - Airdrie++[/mention]?

Kind of went off the boil again since doing me knee actually. I can't even show my face in the RDR thread....I've had it since mid december......played it once.
Played far cry 5 once in a month.
Don't know what's happening tbh!!!

20 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Don't know what's happening tbh!!!

I can't pretend to know but the like of RDR and Far Cry are massive games with countless hours of content, without a lot of direction on what to do next.  Sometimes it's good to just get on with a linear game that leads you.

I remember you said you played the COD campaigns?  I haven't played COD since Modern Warfare 2 (2007?) but I remember it having a short and snappy story mode that I enjoyed, some of the missions were brilliant.  I recommend Titanfall 2 in a similar vein, it will be cheap and the campaign is really quite good and it will be cheap to pick up now.

As something completely different to try, Firewatch is a great game.  It's about 8 hours long I think, you play as a national park ranger in USA and live through a story while hiking through the park.

Edited by bunglebonce

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

I can't pretend to know but the like of RDR and Far Cry are massive games with countless hours of content, without a lot of direction on what to do next.  Sometimes it's good to just get on with a linear game that leads you.

I remember you said you played the COD campaigns?  I haven't played COD since Modern Warfare 2 (2007?) but I remember it having a short and snappy story mode that I enjoyed, some of the missions were brilliant.  I recommend Titanfall 2 in a similar vein, it will be cheap and the campaign is really quite good and it will be cheap to pick up now.

As something completely different to try, Firewatch is a great game.  It's about 8 hours long I think, you play as a national park ranger in USA and live through a story while hiking through the park.

You're a fire lookout, but close enough

Part of the problem is....

I'm a massive fan of champ man 01/02, and have played it religiously since about 2002 so when they released the game as a free download (2012 I think) and I joined the website/forums for cm01/02 there's been loads of patches, updates and other stuff to make that game better and more with the times. So I'm now playing that just as much now, with the 2018 squad data updates, with the most recent (Saturn v6) patch meaning its a very modern game on the old 01/02 interface.
Its so addictive.

• 2 weeks later...

I despise Quick Time Events.

Was playing Resident Evil 4 recently (one of the best) and the 'fight' with Krauser with all the QTEs was incredibly frustrating and annoying, but worst of all pointless.

Whilst I'm talking about RE4, quick mention of Leon's appalling dialogue. His comebacks are astonishing in how lame they are. 

Anyone else played Return of the Obra Dinn? Puzzle/Logic game made by the guy that did Papers, Please.

Ghost ship turns up, everyone is dead, you have to figure out what happened.

It's excellent. Retro look about it which some folk may not like but it's a great game. Does very little to aid you both in terms of how you navigate the game and how you go about solving the mystery.

Soundtrack is great too

Anyone else played Return of the Obra Dinn? Puzzle/Logic game made by the guy that did Papers, Please.
It's excellent. Retro look about it which some folk may not like but it's a great game. Does very little to aid you both in terms of how you navigate the game and how you go about solving the mystery.
Soundtrack is great too
Its on my wishlist for when it goes on sale

On 26/01/2019 at 10:51, XIII said:
On 25/01/2019 at 08:32, gkneil said:
Soundtrack is great too

Its on my wishlist for when it goes on sale

It’s out now, on PC at least. Came out in 2018, still to come out on other platforms?

get it played as soon as you can

Yeah, I'm waiting for it to go on sale too, as I've heard it's excellent but has little replay value.

I just saw how cheap that sounds, considering it's £15 and I got Papers Please for buttons. Guess I'll just buy it and support the quality indie dev.

On 09/01/2019 at 14:57, bunglebonce said:

That sounds rare and at £9.49 will be getting purchased.