General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

50 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Probably the most appropriate place for this question. Rise of the Tomb Raider and Wolfenstein II have began downloading on my PS4 (the former has finished and is working). These are two games I've never played (though want to), never purchased and never so much as looked at on PS Store. Yet they've come from nowhere and I have them on my console. Has this happened to anyone before/have I missed something where Sony are giving these games away for free? No one else has access to my console so it's not as if someone could have accidently ordered them, and I've checked my bank. No orders are pending.

I recently transferred my old data from my other PS4 onto this one and I recently purchased another game from the store. I don't know if somehow Sony have made a balls up and I'm certainly not complaining but I find this very strange indeed.

There is a setting that allows you to switch that feature off. I noticed that they had downloaded a game to my console and they expected me to pay for it before playing.

There is a setting that allows you to switch that feature off. I noticed that they had downloaded a game to my console and they expected me to pay for it before playing.

Did they expect you to pay before you actually started the game? I've started the game (minutes) and nothing about paying has come up yet.

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Did they expect you to pay before you actually started the game? I've started the game (minutes) and nothing about paying has come up yet.

I'm pretty sure it did but it was a while ago. IIRC the option is called "Featured Content" and it can be disabled somewhere in system settings.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 22:58, 19QOS19 said:

Probably the most appropriate place for this question. Rise of the Tomb Raider and Wolfenstein II have began downloading on my PS4 (the former has finished and is working). These are two games I've never played (though want to), never purchased and never so much as looked at on PS Store. Yet they've come from nowhere and I have them on my console. Has this happened to anyone before/have I missed something where Sony are giving these games away for free? No one else has access to my console so it's not as if someone could have accidently ordered them, and I've checked my bank. No orders are pending.

I recently transferred my old data from my other PS4 onto this one and I recently purchased another game from the store. I don't know if somehow Sony have made a balls up and I'm certainly not complaining but I find this very strange indeed.

Managed to get FIFA for free last year because of this, took it back off me after a couple of months though.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the more alarming retconning I've ever seen comes today from a game released ten years ago getting a patch: https://kotaku.com/rockstar-pulls-david-bowie-and-more-from-gta-iv-1825573281

As reported previously by our sister site in the UK, Rockstar is removing a number of songs in Grand Theft Auto IV due to licensing issues. A sizable patch for the game went live today cutting lots of songs across all the radio stations, including some classics, while only adding a few back by way of some lesser known Russian tracks, mostly by Seryoga.

So if you ever feel like going BOWLING, COUSIN any time soon, don't do it while connected to the internet if you want to do it properly.

Not sure what's alarming about it - they'll have to comply with the terms of their license, so their hands are tied.  I believe SI aren't allowed to sell the previous edition of FM on Steam once the new one is released, and they have other pretty draconian licensing agreements they have to abide by.  Like the real fixtures for the EPL being unavailable, or the actual real-life standings for international qualifying.

Not that I'm agreeing with it, in FM's case the extent of licensing has gone too far, but this one seems quite tame.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 09:33, forameus said:

Not sure what's alarming about it - they'll have to comply with the terms of their license, so their hands are tied.  I believe SI aren't allowed to sell the previous edition of FM on Steam once the new one is released, and they have other pretty draconian licensing agreements they have to abide by.  Like the real fixtures for the EPL being unavailable, or the actual real-life standings for international qualifying.

Not that I'm agreeing with it, in FM's case the extent of licensing has gone too far, but this one seems quite tame.

Do SI patch old editions of the game to take out players/teams/content? I get the reason behind it, but I don't like the idea of retroactively taking away something you've already bought and owned. As consoles switch increasingly to digital distribution I think stuff like this will become easier and more common, and I think it's damaging for games if they can be altered like this. In this case it's not a critical part of gameplay, but driving about listening to 1979 was one of the highlights of GTA IV and to think things like that are going to be lost doesn't sit right at all.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone playing State of decay 2?
I've got it and spent around 10 hours playing it. Was really enjoying it at first but it becomes repetitive very quickly. Considering how long it was in development there has been very little new content added apart from the new maps. I bought the edition that comes with the dlc so hopefully that adds a bit of variety. If you liked the first one then you'll enjoy it but I won't be spending as much time on this one compared to the first.

The only bug I've encountered is cars getting stuck. There is 20 gb batch out for it already. Parallels with No Man's Sky in terms of lack of content at launch and bugs.

1 minute ago, Jack Burton said:

I've got it and spent around 10 hours playing it. Was really enjoying it at first but it becomes repetitive very quickly. Considering how long it was in development there has been very little new content added apart from the new maps. I bought the edition that comes with the dlc so hopefully that adds a bit of variety. If you liked the first one then you'll enjoy it but I won't be spending as much time on this one compared to the first.

The only bug I've encountered is cars getting stuck. There is 20 gb batch out for it already. Parallels with No Man's Sky in terms of lack of content at launch and bugs.

It has been released with the game pass on Xbox so thought I’d give it a go. I never played the first one so didn’t know what to expect but the trailer looked good. I’m about 10 hours in as well. Just seems to be lacking something so far, I’m maybe doing something wrong but doesn’t feel like there’s an actual story. 

Ill stick at it for a while see where it takes me. Still got loads of the map to explore.

On 19/04/2018 at 11:55, G_Man1985 said:

Mad max. Any good?

What sort of game is this like.

I just finished the main story there, took my time and done a ton of side missions and camps etc, really enjoyed the combat side of the game, and upgrading shit, story is slow but gets really heavy at the end, cracking battles

It has been released with the game pass on Xbox so thought I’d give it a go. I never played the first one so didn’t know what to expect but the trailer looked good. I’m about 10 hours in as well. Just seems to be lacking something so far, I’m maybe doing something wrong but doesn’t feel like there’s an actual story. 

Ill stick at it for a while see where it takes me. Still got loads of the map to explore.
There is no story apart from the scripted part at the start of each game. Once you've had enough of one map can move onto the next or start over again. One of the dlc from the first game added a story about the military hoping for similar for this game.

• 1 month later...

Just got a PS4 and looking for some game recommendations, like the look of Uncharted, but is it worth playing from the very start? 

On the Xbox my most played games at Battlefield 1, Pro Evo and Far Cry 4 & 5. So looking to broaden my gaming horizons so to speak. 

Any exclusive titles that are a must? 

The Last of Us. Best. Game. Ever.

You don't Have to play the first 3 Uncharted games first but I would just so you get a feel for the characters and the wee in jokes in the 4th game. The first one hasn't aged too well but they are still all playable.