Clyde vs Arbroath

Lichtie78

Don't see why they couldn't wait for this morning but at the end of the day it's the referee to decide will cost the club a good couple of grand hospitality, crowd that's why I think they should have waited till this morning

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't see why they couldn't wait for this morning but at the end of the day it's the referee to decide will cost the club a good couple of grand hospitality, crowd that's why I think they should have waited till this morning

Perhaps we could've left it later.

Remember we need to notify suppliers, ground staff etc. too

Personally, I prefer certainty especially if I'm traveling from distance.

Anyway, maybe parts of the pitch was so frozen that there was no chance of it being in a playable condition.

Certain parts of the pitch get zero sun light at this time of year(mainly the penalty area at the stand behind the goal). It's always been a problem area plastic or grass. As frustrating as it is the correct call has been made. If the "warmer" weather had been from yesterday morning it might have had a chance.

Sounds silly but why not wait until early this morning. It was above freezing. Spray some warm water on it. Tada :-)

Unfortunately, artificial surfaces aren't immune to freezing temperatures. To call them 'all weather' surfaces (as someone did earlier) is simply wrong. Water freezes whether it's on grass of another surface. 

That said, the timing of the call off was a little odd. Arbroath is only a couple of hours away and even allowing for fans potentially getting an early train to Glasgow from Arbroath, it probably could have waited till first thing this morning. Still think the result would have been the same though as, although it did reach a balmy 4-5 degrees today, there was a heavy overnight frost which took some time to thaw.

To blame the club for the early postponement is nonsense though. Ultimately it's the officials decision 

Unfortunately, artificial surfaces aren't immune to freezing temperatures. To call them 'all weather' surfaces (as someone did earlier) is simply wrong. Water freezes whether it's on grass of another surface. 

That said, the timing of the call off was a little odd. Arbroath is only a couple of hours away and even allowing for fans potentially getting an early train to Glasgow from Arbroath, it probably could have waited till first thing this morning. Still think the result would have been the same though as, although it did reach a balmy 4-5 degrees today, there was a heavy overnight frost which took some time to thaw.

To blame the club for the early postponement is nonsense though. Ultimately it's the officials decision 

So the referee turned up of his own volition ha ha
It obviously was partly a financial consideration in terms of stewarding, hospitality etc risk waiting till today lose even more money or cancel yesterday lower the risk lose a lower amount

4 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

So the referee turned up of his own volition ha ha
It obviously was partly a financial consideration in terms of stewarding, hospitality etc risk waiting till today lose even more money or cancel yesterday lower the risk lose a lower amount

Of course he didn't turn up without being asked, but he didn't have to go. He could have stated that he'd be there at 9am on Saturday. 

Of course clubs do try to influence the timing of decisions but ultimately the officials make the call. 

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Arbroath to Cumbernauld about an hour 20 minutes. No far at all.

Just shows you the last time I drove it ! I was thinking from Glasgow right enough but still quicker than I thought. 

Kind of suggests then that a morning inspection was more than reasonable. 

Was out walking the dog around 1 pm and large parts of the grass were still frozen. I'm only a mile or so away from the ground so doubt it would have been on if the pitch inspection had happened this morning.

Broadwood grass park now ?

Archived