Songs That Should Be Banned For Buskers

Highland Capital

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately where I work there is a backalley that leads out into Buchanan Street right where they always are. 

Some shitcunt is there every day doing fucking Coldplay.  I may dismember him one day. 

1. Any Coldplay

2. Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

3. Bagpipes

4. Coldplay again

5. Coldplay. 

Not so much specific songs but my thoughts on busking in general, with particular reference to Buchanan and Argyle Streets...

Anyone wishing to play the bagpipes in public should have to pass a proficiency test first imo. Some of the dirge on Buchanan Street is utter noise pollution.

Some of them are actually decent singers but this new trend of mumbling the ends of lines or deliberately mispronouncing words to suit stupid, put on inflictions in their singing is irritating in the extreme. The blame for this lies squarely with pish like Bastille and the 1975 etc.

If they must be allowed to use amps, they should at least be half decent and not shite tin can efforts, they're not exactly expensive ffs. Or at least learn that sometimes lower volume can give a better sound.

Edit to add: Itzdrk's Hallelujah guy on Buchanan Street is a prime culprit for the voice thing, particularly with that song.

Generally I like buskers in a town centre,especially if you have a varied selection they can give a place a decent vibe , endless guitarists playing Ed Sheeran numbers is shit but a few bagpipers,street drummers and the like can be entertaining,t here is a wee foreign  guy in our town who plays this strange looking instrument which is like a one string violin with a bag attached to give a bagpipes type effect,think it must be Eastern European,wouldnt want it all day but interesting enough whilst having a coffee....

As for songs I'd ban

Brown Eyed Girl-Van the Man

With or Without You-U2

Any Ed Sheeran

Wish you Were Here-Pink Floyd

Sweet Child of Mine -Guns n Roses

There was a guy who played a violet trumpet thing who stood outside Partick station playing the same 90 tune over and over for hours. Haven't seen him for a while but I still remember the tune. Seen him on Sauchiehall street sometimes as well.

I'm not in Glasgow very often, but any time I am, it's an absolute guarantee that someone will be doing "How to Save a Life" by the Fray. 

• 2 weeks later...

I started my working career in an office on King Street in Kilmarnock, and over Christmas that year there was a gypsy busker with an accordion who only played one song. I don't even know the title, but 9 years later I can still hear the fucking tune...

On 11/19/2016 at 09:20, itzdrk said:

Unfortunately where I work there is a backalley that leads out into Buchanan Street right where they always are. 

Some shitcunt is there every day doing fucking Coldplay.  I may dismember him one day. 

1. Any Coldplay

2. Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

3. Bagpipes

4. Coldplay again

5. Coldplay. 

Do you see the wee guy that dances along with any that set up there?

Very funny, in a tragic acid casualty kind of way.

7 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do you see the wee guy that dances along with any that set up there?

Very funny, in a tragic acid casualty kind of way.

Aye seen him about plenty.  Claims to be making money for charity with it. 

http://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/leo-silent-raver-tells-glasgow-11925659

There's a chap who busks outside our local shopping centre and he's pretty decent on the tenor sax.  He was playing a jazz version "Rockin' Round the Xmas Tree" when I was buying a bottle of ginger earlier and I was about to put a £2 coin in to his hat when he started A Fairytale of New York.  GTF.  

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Clydebank last week & a young guy was singing That's Life, it was pitiful considering that's the first time I've heard it sung outwith Karaoke but defo not a busking song!!!

Archived