The second worst accent in Scotland?

6 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

You’ve quite clearly never been to Dumfries.

You arn't wrong  but its not that crazy a statement to to make, Edinburgh is closer to Berwick than Dumfries

4 minutes ago, Crroma said:

You arn't wrong  but its not that crazy a statement to to make, Edinburgh is closer to Berwick than Dumfries

It a ridiculous statement to make, compounded by the fact you’ve never been there.  Berwick’s proximity to Edinburgh means absolute nothing, when you consider it’s further north than East Kilbride. A fact I may add, which is about as relevant as yours. 

So in reality you’ve looked at a map and decided due to its geographical position latitudinally, that the Dumfries accent sounds English. 

2/10 for effort. 

I'm not criticizing accents from Dumfries or English accents in general, I think the Northumbrian dialect is a joy to hear, from what limited exposure I've had to Doonhammer accents it sounds well spoken and clean in comparison to most Scottish accents.

I'm not a scientist and as you say since I've never really walked round Dumfries and talked to the citizens I'm not making an absolute factual statement but I love the breadth of accents we have in Scotland and the wider UK in general and especially that divide on the border.

11 hours ago, sick boy said:

Genuinely not well educated/versed in the highland accents. The same accent that the "No spikin" guy has. Also the one that the "Bonk Masheen" guy has. 

Fucking Vile

Aberdeen isn't in the Highlands. Silly Weegie.

4 hours ago, Crroma said:

, I think the Northumbrian dialect is a joy to hear, from what limited exposure I've had to Doonhammer accents it sounds well spoken and clean in comparison to most Scottish accents.

I live in Northumbria, I'm about 15 minutes west of Newcastle and I find it absolutely baffling anyone would describe the accent from around here as clean or well spoken. 

9 hours ago, Crroma said:

People from Dumfries sound more English than people from Northumberland

No they don’t 

5 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

You’ve quite clearly never been to Dumfries.

Or Northumberland 

I'm not sure if its patriotism but i think its worth reiterating that the Anglo Scottish border has around a 96 mile north to south deviation so its not that much of a stretch to say someone from the far south of Scotland will have a stronger "twang" than an equivalent from the extreme north of England. Reducing that to "Dumfries people sound English" was maybe a bit inflammatory but the general statement is solid.

9 minutes ago, Crroma said:

I'm not sure if its patriotism but i think its worth reiterating that the Anglo Scottish border has around a 96 mile north to south deviation so its not that much of a stretch to say someone from the far south of Scotland will have a stronger "twang" than an equivalent from the extreme north of England. Reducing that to "Dumfries people sound English" was maybe a bit inflammatory but the general statement is solid.

Accents don't correlate to latitude.

Edited by renton

6 minutes ago, renton said:

Exactly, can confirm people in Carlisle sound nothing like Scottish people. Dumfries just sounds very light generic west coast, expect for the kents that think they are hard, they seem to have fake Glasgow accents

Yeah man those 10 miles between Carlisle and the Scottish bother certainly have more of an effect than the 90 miles between Carlisle and Berwick, that Anglo- Scots border is doing a brilliant job stopping the mingling of Anglo Scots language. Who would have known all it takes is an arbitary land border to dilute hundreds of years living in close proximity.

18 minutes ago, Crroma said:
31 minutes ago, renton said:

True they deviate by proximity, not by the definition of man made borders.

Actually, it's very much by man made borders. That's basically the definition of accents: The peculiarities and stresses of sounds in words formed by isolated tribal groups. The reason people from Dumfries don't sound English (and unlike you I've been there, so can confirm this is the case) is because of ancient cultural and historical ties to the Kingdom of Scotland and it's dominant dialect and sociolinguistics, rather than the old Cumbrian kingdom to the South. Several hundred years of political Union have diluted that to an extent, but the underlying linguistics trace back through Scotland to the Kingdom of Strathclyde and various Celtic dialects before that, rather than Anglican ones that became dominant to the South after the 5th Century.

Edited by renton

3 minutes ago, Crroma said:

Get this guys northern and republic Irish accents sound like opposing foreign languages. All we had to do was draw a border.

That's a genuinely terrible point given the distinctive differences in accent and vocabulary between the two due largely to the presence of Scots Protestant settlers in Ulster in the middle ages, which in turn informed the differences in cultural outlook and finally political allegiance which is why there is a fucking border there in the first place.

Except that Cumbria was also part of the same Celtic/Brittonic linguistic culture so your thesis about a long-standing Celtic/'Anglican (sic)' linguistic divide on the border doesn't make any sense. 

Actually, it's very much by man made borders. That's basically the definition of accents: The peculiarities and stresses of sounds in words formed by isolated tribal groups. 

That's really not a working definition of how accents work - not least because it does nothing to explain the huge and continued variety of accents within long-standing, integrated political units. When people in such an established centre of inward migration such as the Central Belt use distinctly different words and pronunciation within 25 miles of each other - in the 21st Century - then the source of these accents clearly has nothing at all to do with the habits of 'isolated tribal groups' from a long-forgotten past.