The Grand Tour

jimmy boo

Good last episode and the tent and audience won't be much of a loss, since the Grand Tour started the audience have had zero role anyway. Hope they still do the odd documentary type programme mixed in with the big adventure ones. The latest Top Gear series have shown how hard it is to create artificial banter, like the early days of Clarkson, Hammond and May. Hopefully Top Gear switch to something more like 5th Gear instead of stubbornly trying to duplicate the pre Grand Tour days, it just doesn't work.

Have they said Series 4 won’t be filmed in front of an audience?

Pretty well, just special big trips. 

Just watched the last in this series this morning. Weird to see Clarkson genuinely emotional about the whole thing when it’s not really the end, just a shake-up in format. By the sounds of it, for the better too. The audience and studio/tent have been largely irrelevant whilst the lap time bits a bit meh.

Read an interview with Clarkson where he said part of the reason they're ditching the normal show is because they're getting old. Fair enough, but I'd have thought standing around in the tent was far easier and less stressful than their adventure episodes.

Read an interview with Clarkson where he said part of the reason they're ditching the normal show is because they're getting old. Fair enough, but I'd have thought standing around in the tent was far easier and less stressful than their adventure episodes.

Less work you could argue.
Once the adventure is done they go home and await editing to provide voice overs.

With the tent they need to find stuff to discuss in between, find cars to test drive and generally work on more stuff.

I think this series was there best for a while, some really good films and the  road trips  weren't too contrived. Building a car in Mongolia was really good and even the RV thing in America had its moments.

The studio bit is done I always fast forward laps and all that.

Very decent series all in, I would absolutely love an hour long version of the Jim Clark film that Hammond made or something similar. However their adventures are what we all want although they haven't done a cheap car challenge on the GT yet have they? When the car is ridiculously out of its depth.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like the next series will be all or mostly based in South East Asia.

"Clarkson previously confirmed the fourth season will feature locations Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Singapore."

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/22/jeremy-clarkson-kicks-off-grand-tour-season-4-filming-cambodia-richard-hammond-james-may-10028934/

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...