The Grand Tour

jimmy boo

Enjoyed the third episode, bit surreal seeing it on the quayside at Whitby when I went on holiday there every year as a kid.

Really wish they'd ditch the celeb bit though, was boring after the second guest in the first show.

For those who like Top Gear/The Grand Tour, this is an interesting and amusing book about Top Gear 2002-2015 by one of the scriptwriters who also works on the new show: https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Bombshell-Inside-Madness-Genius/dp/1409165078/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480703592&sr=8-1&keywords=richard+porter

On 02/12/2016 at 14:51, sergie's no1 fan said:

Just watching the 2nd episode, wtf is this all about? :blink:

Absolute crap.

Me too. Can only imagine the outcry if the new Top Gear had produced that inane drivel.

19 hours ago, mizfit said:

Felt more like an old top gear that one, the cars looked fantastic and the scenery was brilliant.

Agreed.

As much as I am enjoying bits of the show, it's just Top Gear without SIARPC and the Stig. I think the whole package was why I enjoyed TG so much, and missing bits like that means it's just not the same for me.

I thought that I was being a bit harsh on it so I watched the 4th episode to see if it was a bit different after its had a few shows to bed in but unfortunately its still totally shite.

A whole show devoted to watching them put together sustainable cars, which was the usual front for them doing stupid stuff, watching them "accidentally" break each others cars, seeing bits fall off and watching one of them sink in some water. Thank f**k I didn't actually pay for it.

Have been giving this a chance but got to the 4th episode and had to switch it off when Jimmy Carr got "killed". It was mildly funny the first time but I can't believe they're still persisting with it.

The film in the second or third episode when they were supposed to be soldiers was absolutely pointless. The latest "challenge" of building sustainable cars was just daft and far too scripted. They used to do challenges on Top Gear and, although they were also daft, they sort of related to cars (e.g. the electric car they built). Who the f**k is going to build a car out of trees or bricks or bones?!

I watched an episode of Top Gear on Dave the other day (the one where they did the British Leyland challenge) and the difference between that and the rubbish they're making now is night and day. I took out a free trial with Amazon Prime with the idea being that I would start the full membership if the Grand Tour turned out to be decent. Needless to say, that won't be happening.

In summary : shite.

1 hour ago, Al B said:

Can't be too many people that would have expected Top Gear (Evans aside), to have come out of this being the good one!

Yeah! Its quite interesting, I think the shows have kind of split into different directions. If you are actually interested in cars and want to find out about them then you watch the New top Gear, if you want to see the comedy side of 3 men having a laugh with a bit of a nod to, well all vehicles really, then you watch the Grand Tour.

I think the new Top Gear has some space to improve, now Evans has gone the most annoying factor has been taken out of it and if they stick with the car reviews, particularly from Harris and Reid who were excellent at them, they should evolve into a great show. If the media give them the chance to that is. The problem for the Grand Tour is that its a bit old. The jokes, the script, the challenges have all been done before x 100. I'm not sure they really have much room to improve things unless they have the guts to change it dramatically.

Well, I've persevered, tried to view it objectively, and hoped it might improve week on week, but episode 4 has finally confirmed it.

Absolute shite from three overpaid tossers who can't possibly really believe they are funny.

At least May on a couple of occasions had the decency to look embarrassed, but they are seriously taking the piss with this infantile nonsense.

Enough is enough.

Clarkson in a balloon and the other two blow hot air up his arse. Top Gear, I found, was barely watchable because of them and their love for themselves but giving them even more free reign I'm not surprised it's shite. They're rich old men  that think they're funny and clever.

Poor episode tonight. Bored audience in the tent and the cringemaking weight testing of the Alpha Romeo trying to be edgy with Clarkson in a bloody apron pretending to have killed cows. Still, it's way better than Top Gear (Chris Evans  version).

Poor episode tonight. Bored audience in the tent and the cringemaking weight testing of the Alpha Romeo trying to be edgy with Clarkson in a bloody apron pretending to have killed cows. Still, it's way better than Top Gear (Chris Evans  version).

I honestly loved the battleships thing. Was chuckling away at it for a few minutes.

Could tell the audience were bored though.

I'm enjoying it but not taking it too seriously. It is what it is. Three old buffoons travelling round the globe driving some nice cars through some picturesque places being rather silly along the way. It's only on for an hour and most TV is pish these days anyway.

It's not as good as Top Gear in its prime but it's better than it was in the few years before the three of them left. The problem is a few things seem to be dragged out a bit - the Battleships thing was funny but lasted a bit too long. At least the celebrity stuff was a bit shorter this week.