The Grand Tour

jimmy boo

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/08/2021 at 01:20, welshbairn said:

Bit daft criticising them for not talking to a Scot, they didn't talk to a soul, it was peak Covid. Did my head in trying to find the Pizza Express, it turned out after much research it was the MacDonald hotel complex in Aviemore, and there's no Pizza Express, just Giovanni's Italian Ristorante. Inside joke presumably about product placement or something. Liked the pontoon, I want one. Wonder if the ending was a clue about the next show.

I think the joke was about Prince Andrew. That and the 5G stuff felt so dated already. 

15 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I think the joke was about Prince Andrew. That and the 5G stuff felt so dated already. 

Tbf because of how long Amazon take to launch their stuff it was probably right in the here and now when they said it, but 10/11 months later you're right it feels like ancient history.

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, 101 said:

Don't know if anyone has watched the new French episode. I thought it was utterly awful, one of their worst episodes ever recorded.

I reckon being unable to travel really hampered it. Some bits of it were entertaining but there was a lot of shite in there too. 

Essentially it passed an hour or so of my Friday evening while I was getting battered off my booster dose of Moderna. 

12 hours ago, 101 said:

Don't know if anyone has watched the new French episode. I thought it was utterly awful, one of their worst episodes ever recorded.

It’s awful.  Back to the worst, most laddish, excesses of the old BBC series.  

On 19/12/2021 at 22:15, 101 said:

Should have listened. I'm prepared and expect to put up with some cringey shite from them, but the whole thing was beyond dreadful and boring from beginning to end. I can only think they're begging Amazon to get out of their contract because they're rich enough already and bored of the whole thing.

Edited by welshbairn

I think it would have been fine if it was an episode in a series rather than a stand alone “special”. Though they are still using the same jokes from 2005 and they really aren’t funny anymore.

Not sure if it’s a COVID issue or the fact they have just done everything that can be done and can’t be arsed anymore.

The Clarkson, Hammond and May set up stopped being funny years ago. The last decent thing they did (in my mind anyway) was the Vietnam special and a quick check shows that was 2008!

Since then everything seems to have become far too scripted and it's fair to say none of them are actors. Their stuff is just about watchable (though I found myself fast forwarding the studio bits of the GT) but no where near as good as it once was.

On 21/12/2021 at 11:12, welshbairn said:

Tbh it's the sort of shit lazy cliché jokes Telegraph readers would like, they are increasingly just a boomer tabloid in broadsheet edition.

Thought that was much better than Lochdown so I must have turned into a Telegraph reader! The scripted stuff probably washed over me a bit as the French cars had my attention. Having owned a string of French hot hatches and knowing folk growing up with the various odd cars featured I was probably paying more attention to the cars than the presenters.

• 2 weeks later...

Found some of the cars very entertaining, especially the one with the propeller.

However, as others have said it looks like they’ve been hampered by staying at home. Rumours of a Russian episode being repeatedly delayed because of Covid.

I mainly watch it for seeing new scenery, if they can’t leave the UK then they’re fucked basically.

• 8 months later...
On 16/09/2022 at 17:59, jimmy boo said:

New episode out now........Scandi Flick......where the boys take their favourite rally cars up to some snowy wilderness.

That tunnel time trial is by far the stupidest thing they’ve ever done. 

15 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Bit more of a slapstick one this. I’m fine with that. There basically wasn’t any narrative to the last couple.  

Definitely hampered by being stuck in the UK trying to work around covid laws for the last couple. 

think this one you could tell they went back to a simple formula of “pranks and bantz.”. Even found them discussing the cars to be interesting which I struggled with last time.