Livi v Peterhead

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

I don't even think the strikers played that badly today, it's Hopkin's fault and choice to play long ball all game showing his lack of tactics. Called for him to go and still am, I would rather we got an experienced manager in who know what they were doing and give them the time to lay the foundations rather than doing it midway through the Championship next season.

He's the same manager that is complaining about how the first goal wasn't given as offside despite it being a deflection off of our players

You're top of the league with a game in hand. Are you serious?

51 minutes ago, Ayia Napa Daz said:

If any Livi fan turns to me and says "we're top of the league" then I'm sorry but you're just a delusional w**k. 

But..but...but..the man at the BBC website said it. :unsure:

Felt for quite a lot of the game we seemed fairly comfortable, yes they had some chances but we did as well & could have been 3 ahead before conceding a real soft goal to make it slightly uncomfortable last 10 minutes. Looks to be problems with the pitch which will not help with a passing game should maybe invest some of money taken in parking fees & sort out the pitch.

16 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Exactly, and if you check the SPFL archives we've more points after 13 games than Morton when they won the league, and the exact same points as Dunfermline & Livi (under Bollan) after 13 games when they both won the league, some Livi fans need to get a grip.

First half we totally dominated the game and had quite a few chances but didn't take them and Peterhead get a break with their only chance of the first half and score. 2nd half we still played well enough and created chances but as the game wore on we pushed up more, took off Longridge and left ourselves vulnerable to a counter attack. Still not quite believing we didn't get something from that game as we had so many chances in it but them's the breaks, you don't put the ball in the net when you're on top there's always a chance the other team will get a goal from their first real chance.

The last two games we've just not been clinical enough with our chances, we've scored 32 goals in 13 games though so we can score goals, not going to start moaning about only being 1 point in front of the 2nd place team, the goals will start flowing again.

Oh and BTW, McAllister was a conning bawbag staying down pretending he was injured till the ref stopped the game but I couldn't help laugh when he was being booed off after being subbed and he looked up with a big grin on his face at winding up the Livi fans.:lol:

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Exactly, and if you check the SPFL archives we've more points after 13 games than Morton when they won the league, and the exact same points as Dunfermline & Livi (under Bollan) after 13 games when they both won the league, some Livi fans need to get a grip.

We haven't won every game though, not good enough IMO.

1 minute ago, LiviLion said:

Looks in to me on that video too. Goal after it should be offside though shouldn't it? Thought deflections still counted as offside.

Im not sure about the ruling either,but the only way it stands is because he wasnt interfering in play from the shot or something like that,your guess is as good as mine

The offside decision that did baffle me was when McCintosh was clean through and after about 3 touches the linesman raised his flag,the new rules are a fecking nightmare

22 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

You said he needs to come up with something different against teams that come and sit in. 

Today we carved Peterhead open 3 or 4 times and had a couple more chances but didn't take them, we created enough chances to win the game and that was against a team that sat in, what more can he do ? 

Also your point about the Stranraer game last season, he went gung ho because we needed 2 more goals to just get extra time, I put it to you that if he didn't do that then we may not have even got to extra time, what would you do in that position ? I'd do the same. 

As I've said previously, I'm not his biggest fan, far from it, I called for him to go like many, but the clubs made a decision and we all need to accept that, we are top of the league, we have players that are playing in league 1 for a reason. 

We all need to have a reality check, we aren't world beaters, we are going to lose games but it's a marathon not a sprint, let's get behind them for a change. 

I'm not disputing we carved them open on several occasions yesterday. Our strikers had a stinker collectively yesterday, several great opportunities spurned and it's cost us the game ultimately. No manager can account for that.

However, good managers react well and actually plan for eventualities within games. Throwing on multiple attacking players and hoping something sticks is not a plan. ATLIS has called it correctly, humping the ball from the halfway line up front at every opportunity to five of the shortest players on the pitch is madness. He's not shown anything as an alternative to that this season. Mullen and Buchanan were spent with 10 minutes to go, as I suggested originally, it's counterproductive to have so many players vying for the same space on the pitch at the same time. The net result of having five up front was a powderpuff centre of midfield, which was bypassed anyway with Crighton's numerous diagonals.

By all means, when we are chasing a game, it's common sense to bring on attacking players. But throwing them all on and hoping something sticks is helping no one. Ironic that the one time is has "worked", vs Stranraer, it was two players who started the game, with the second goal coming straight from a set piece.

As I mentioned in the Livingston thread after last week's game, I have no desire for Hopkin to go at the moment. We're top of the league, deservedly so, and he has found out both Brechin and Alloa twice each now. He doesn't deserve to be sacked at the moment, but results like yesterday and vs Albion Rovers to little to win round his more vocal critics in the support.

AND is correct though (again), it's pointless discussing all of this in a sense because we are treading water as a club at the very, very best whilst we're essentially being run by David Martindale.

Our goal came from a punt up the pitch didn't it? Route one straight up to Buchanan who knocked it over the keeper and ran on to head it into the net.

The problem we have is when Mullen and Buchanan are having a hard time scoring the only other striker we have is Carrick and he just hasn't made an impact since he scored on his debut. I was actually pleased Hopkin didn't do the usual substitution when Cadden came on and kept Mullin on to give us two wingers. 

Not sure if it was a coincidence but when we got our goal and then made the other 2 substitutions we got bogged down and stopped threatening their goal, and the game just petered out. Looked like we lost the midfield and couldn't get it past the middle of the pitch up to our strikers, maybe Mullin and Byrne going off was the reason for that but I understand why he made those substitutions, to try and give us fresh legs in attack, just didn't work..

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 00:06, Velvet Donkey said:

Yes, this kind of football won't cut it at a level higher than this and it's apparent the management don't have a plan b or c. When all else fails throw two strikers on and play hoof ball, there's no notion of tactical ability so I would rather an experienced manager had the time to lay the foundations down to ensure survival in the Championship because under current management I can guarantee it won't happen.

A diffcult one to judge.  By and large most of the teams we've played have been pretty poor, and the standard is far lower than i'd imagined, the gulf between this league and the championship is huge.  the fact brechin are in contention at the top tells its own story.  that said you can only beat what's in front of you. 

6 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Yes, this kind of football won't cut it at a level higher than this and it's apparent the management don't have a plan b or c. When all else fails throw two strikers on and play hoof ball, there's no notion of tactical ability so I would rather an experienced manager had the time to lay the foundations down to ensure survival in the Championship because under current management I can guarantee it won't happen.

We're not at a higher level though, we're in League One and have a certain budget to work with that can only afford the players we have, no point talking about the quality of players we need in the Championship or football we need to play till we're actually going to be playing there.

I disagree about not having any tactical ability, he's beaten the 3 teams currently holding top 4 places in all 5 games played against them, that didn't happen just by accident or fluke, and has actually changed tactics when it didn't work in a previous game. I don't think it was tactics that lost us this game though, we opened them up enough times to win the game but the strikers weren't clinical enough to score, not much the manager can do when the top goal scorer in the league is missing gilt edged chances.

I doubt any of us were wanting Hopkin as our manager after last season but we're obv knackered financially to punt him and bring in a decent experienced manager and doubt very much anyone with the quality you're looking for would be interested in coming to Livi.

All in all though we're top of the league and doing as well as any of the FT teams that have won this league in recent years (outside of Sevco), it could be a lot worse.

Another aspect to consider in all of this is who would realistically take the Livingston job? It's hardly a catch, to be quite honest. I also doubt any seasoned professional would work under the constraints that currently seem to be in place.

Archived