Pollok v Talbot

Talbot Bing

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meanwhile back to the game. The first match went as I expected, Talbot should have won but they just don't have enough goals in their team at the moment. They didn't use home advantage in their last two games v Beith but they should get the job done this week.

Well you'll know

Re all the blurb about mine is bigger than yours. Both are very successful clubs who should just appreciate the unique situation they are in regarding the support they have. Pollok have a huge catchment area to draw 'junior' supporters from in Glasgow and do so. Similarly Talbot draw from all the surrounding towns who have no junior side (except Cumnock of course) and quite possibly more of their support travel from out with Auchinleck itself. E.g. Mauchline which is probably a bigger town than Auchinleck now. Long may yer lum reek.

PP is very accurate re City junior clubs.Lok are unique as the others have lost their support and perhaps identity along the way.I worry especially about the likes of the Peasy who have gone from record breaking supports in Springburn to a group of older committee men and a handful of friends as a support base which cannot possibly sustain the club .

Regarding our "community" you'll never get a everybody knows each other and is related like a lot of the Ayrshire villages. The mentality in areas like Shawlands/Newlands outside a city the size of Glasgow mean we'll never have it. This presents a challenge but makes the clubs constant high crowds more remarkable. We have the second biggest club in Scotland a few miles down the road and still had an average league attendance of 580 last season. The club has put in a fantastic effort in creating a community around Pollok as a football club and it's really paying dividends now. 

Think that's the reason why Lok get the support they do as a lot of people don't wish to associate themselves with that team a couple miles down the road & in some ways these days it's cool to support the smaller team . Noticed a lot of folk your age & younger at the games the last few times I've been up both at the game & in the pubs beforehand & that's defiantly the impression I get .

Covers were put down this morning at the dressing room end which tends to be more shaded.

This morning (in Glasgow) it's -4 at 8am with temperatures just getting above zero today. The next few days don't look much better. I doubt if the game was at Newlandfield it would be on. Drove by the park that is the other side of morrisons and it's covered in frost.

Are the temperatures been as low in Auchinleck ? BBC weather looks like it's a bit warmer but that might not be very accurate.

12 hours ago, Dipple burn said:

Isabel could you you oblige this gent.

Ah, my good friend and fellow stadium developer. As you know I have a reputation of exaggerating attendances, however, as even some Pollok guys will testify I usually get the Newlandsfield game between Talbot and Pollok very close to the official attendance more time than not. As for Beechwood, league games are not privy to official attendances but it is not hard to work out. A low crowd is easy to count and so far the lowest was 400. We usually get around 60/70 in the stand, most stand either in the terrace between the stand and social club and the pie hut side. Teams who bring a support boost the gate and can get into high hundreds, and Cumnock gate is still very good and must be three figures or very close,I think it would be reasonable to say that Talbot's home league gates are comparable to Pollok's.

Ah, my good friend and fellow stadium developer. As you know I have a reputation of exaggerating attendances, however, as even some Pollok guys will testify I usually get the Newlandsfield game between Talbot and Pollok very close to the official attendance more time than not. As for Beechwood, league games are not privy to official attendances but it is not hard to work out. A low crowd is easy to count and so far the lowest was 400. We usually get around 60/70 in the stand, most stand either in the terrace between the stand and social club and the pie hut side. Teams who bring a support boost the gate and can get into high hundreds, and Cumnock gate is still very good and must be three figures or very close,I think it would be reasonable to say that Talbot's home league gates are comparable to Pollok's.

I wonder why you don't declare your attendances ....

Archived