Shaving

Romeo

I've got a light beard just now, but find it quite a hassle keeping it tidy. There always seems to be stray hairs that are longer, despite using a good beard trimmer. Is beard oil actually any good, especially for a light beard that's barely more than heavy stubble?

I use it and finds it stops any irritation.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got an electric shaver recently. It's decent enough and a nice quick shave with no need for foam/gel. Cannot get the neck sorted though. Is it because I got a shitey razor or is this just the price I have to pay for a dry shave?

25 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I use it and finds it stops any irritation.

I don't get much irritation, it's just these annoying hairs (which may be because they are too dry) that don't sit normally with the rest of the beard and I always feel make it look a bit shit.

54 minutes ago, GingerSaint said:

Got an electric shaver recently. It's decent enough and a nice quick shave with no need for foam/gel. Cannot get the neck sorted though. Is it because I got a shitey razor or is this just the price I have to pay for a dry shave?

Dry shave, buddy.  Electric razors (from memory) are fine for chin and top lip.  The rest needs cold, hard steel.

I was staying in this place in Portugal and they had a pre-shave balm. It was like Deep Heat/Raljex. Slap it on and your face heats up, the pores open and you can shave without it being tortuous (if you're too lazy to just use hot water on your face first). It probably was just Deep Heat and they put it in there to have fun at the expense of stupid tourists. 

16 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Dry shave, buddy.  Electric razors (from memory) are fine for chin and top lip.  The rest needs cold, hard steel.

Kincardine speaks the truth. 

I've gone from daily wet shave to Monday only with Tue-Fri electric. Even with a decent Braun the neck is never perfect though and I'll use a razor if I have something on. Always use King of Shaves gel to avoid rashes. 

Cornerstone looks interesting. Gillette are excellent but ripping the urine on price. 

5 minutes ago, PWL said:

Kincardine speaks the truth. 

I've gone from daily wet shave to Monday only with Tue-Fri electric. Even with a decent Braun the neck is never perfect though and I'll use a razor if I have something on. Always use King of Shaves gel to avoid rashes. 

Cornerstone looks interesting. Gillette are excellent but ripping the urine on price. 

If you wet shave on a Monday and need to shave again on Tuesday, you are the missing link.

Buy a old fashioned double edge razor for £20 to £40 and 100 blades for between £8 and £12, a Palmolive shave stick for 50p and a brush for £4 to £12 and you won't have a better shave once you have mastered the slight learning curve. I have actually been shaving with a razor made before 1919 this week, a single edge damaskene and the shave is awesome.

• 7 months later...

I bought my razor in Lidl, 5 blades (£2.99) & a pack of 4 replacements is £3.49, top quality German engineering btw. One place I will not go for a shave is a Turkish barber for the rip-off hot towel shave, theses c***ts are useless, better off shaving yourself.

• 1 year later...
On 2/6/2017 at 18:30, Mark Connolly said:

Bumping this from 2 years ago.

I bought a Oneblade in early January and it's absolutely terrific.  I still do a 'proper' wet shave when I wear a collar and tie - maybe twice this year - but the Oneblade is, without doubt. the best thing since sliced bread.  I bought one for my son last week and it deals with his bum fluff perfectly.

On 9/21/2017 at 09:25, KnightswoodBear said:

Can anyone recommend anywhere in Glasgow that does a good wet shave?  I've been toying with the idea of getting a straight razor, but as I've never actually had a shave with one, thought I'd go somewhere and see what it was like first.

I've had a couple of wet shaves at Trumpers in Mayfair.  Quite nice but over rated and too much fannying around.  Either buy a Oneblade or employ a gentleman's gentleman..

Archived