St Mirren vs Dunfermline - Televised Shitfest

17 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I was genuinely surprised when Lennon was punted that season. Did the board honestly believe that St.mirren were going to achieve anything better than 8th in the premier league?

His final season was a weird one. He was close to getting sacked after a bad start to the season, then the results picked up a bit. The whole season was like that - pressure built, almost sacked, then a decent run. With him being out of contract at the end of the season the whole club was a bit in stasis and everyone knew what was going to happen come the summer.

We finished eighth but it was a ridiculously close season where nearly all the bottom six (Hearts aside) were battling to avoid the play-offs. It was eighth but could just as easily been seventh or 11th, it was that tight. I think the board were getting pissed off at having to pay out big sums to tell players to piss off every transfer window (Imrie, Grainger and Guy immediately spring to mind) and some of the other transfer business - particularly trying to sign Nacho Novo before he ended up with you! A lot of folk were also getting annoyed that clubs we - rightly or wrongly - saw us as being of similar size to were regularly finishing above us or making the top six and we couldn't come close, a problem that also counted against his predecessor. 

At the time I was in favour of change, it seemed a case of he'd taken us as far as we could go and the mythical "next level" bullshit which sparked Falkirk's downfall when Hughes departed. The problems started with the idiotic choice of replacement, although really you can trace the root back to the day before when Lennon was told to do one.

So while we were annoyed with that final season, surviving in the Premiership looks bloody brilliant compared to what's happened since. He hasn't exactly been a success where he's been since, but it would have been an impressive effort if he'd stayed put and managed to take us to an even worse situation than the one we currently occupy.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to laugh at Wasps1 saying "Jack" moved to the wrong club and his career is ruined. 4 weeks ago he was saying it was a great move for him and touting "Jack" to lift St Mirren into the play offs, heal the unwell children of Paisley and end world hunger.

I know my team won, so it's considerably easier to ease off the ref, but I thought he had a good game. There were hardly any (credible) penalty shouts to deal with, or nasty challenges and brawls etc, but he wasn't going to be conned by any of the players' pushing and shoving. When there was a decision to be made, I thought he got the vast majority right. 

I think that's probably fair. It was frustrating as a Saints fan, but it was more to do with the ball not falling for us, rather that the ref. Sutton got a pretty raw deal, as both centre halves were pushing and pulling him, as much as he was them, but he hardly got a foul his way all day.

Other than that I thought the ref was fine, he certainly didn't impact the result.

As far as our season in concerned, I think it's close to being over. Last two games, at home to Dumbarton and Dunfermline, and we score zero goals, barely creating a real clear cut chance. The young boys that have come in have done well, and improved the team, but it's not enough.

January is going to be important, but who - who is good enough to make a difference - would currently want to come to St. Mirren?

If any spell truly summed up that game it was the hilarious incompetence all round in the last 15 seconds, as Dunfermline somehow contrived not to score with the three sitters they were handed while St. Mirren's defence vanished. Tremendous viewing - every game between these sides should be televised.

If any spell truly summed up that game it was the hilarious incompetence all round in the last 15 seconds, as Dunfermline somehow contrived not to score with the three sitters they were handed while St. Mirren's defence vanished. Tremendous viewing - every game between these sides should be televised.

I think the 95 minutes had been played by the time we were in the final third, so whatever happen it was going to be the last kick(s) of the ball, so I was able to laugh it off. If that had happened with time left to be played, I think I would have been one TV down for the night.

13 hours ago, vikingTON said:

When Saint Mirren were looking for a new manager, they specified that he would have to play "entertaining football". Ross has entirely failed to meet that remit. They also have a crap football team.

TTG: Alan 'King Snake' McManus to return to the position.

Unfortunately, you can only piss with the cock you have. I don't see how anyone could get that shower playing 'entertaining football'. 

We're now at a stage though that I was fully worried about when Ross came in; the rot has fully set in and we're at the point where once the January window opens, there will be no point in going over budget and trying to strengthen areas as we'll already be too far gone by then.

Changing manager now does nothing. I still cling to the hope that Ross is the right guy who has simply inherited an omnishambles. Either way, money will be at even more of a premium and I'd be going ahead with him through the League 1 campaign next season. If that means cutting the majority of the squad loose in January (if anyone will take them) to give a some young lads a good 4 or 5 months of first team football to bed them in in preparation then so be it.

Full time last night was different from the fans. No boos, no outrage, no-one losing their shit. Just a meek, resigned acceptance of the situation. And you know what? We fully deserve it. If I thought we were better than a few sides in this league, I'd be raging but the fact of the matter is that we're bottom as we're clearly and without comparison, the worst team I've watched this season. In fact the only team I've seen on a par with this nonsense is the Gretna team of 2009 and the Clydebank team of 2000 but even then, they both had financial reasons for being a basketcase.

Unfortunately, you can only piss with the cock you have. I don't see how anyone could get that shower playing 'entertaining football'. 

We're now at a stage though that I was fully worried about when Ross came in; the rot has fully set in and we're at the point where once the January window opens, there will be no point in going over budget and trying to strengthen areas as we'll already be too far gone by then.

Changing manager now does nothing. I still cling to the hope that Ross is the right guy who has simply inherited an omnishambles. Either way, money will be at even more of a premium and I'd be going ahead with him through the League 1 campaign next season. If that means cutting the majority of the squad loose in January (if anyone will take them) to give a some young lads a good 4 or 5 months of first team football to bed them in in preparation then so be it.

Full time last night was different from the fans. No boos, no outrage, no-one losing their shit. Just a meek, resigned acceptance of the situation. And you know what? We fully deserve it. If I thought we were better than a few sides in this league, I'd be raging but the fact of the matter is that we're bottom as we're clearly and without comparison, the worst team I've watched this season. In fact the only team I've seen on a par with this nonsense is the Gretna team of 2009 and the Clydebank team of 2000 but even then, they both had financial reasons for being a basketcase.

The boys were suggesting that we'd be fine after the January window, where they got that deluded notion is beyond me. The whole situation is fucked from 1-11. Actually thought Naismith was better today, some of the balls he was putting into the box were screaming for someone to tap it in, but everyone seems to freeze in terror as soon as we're in that sort of area.

Also agree with the general acceptance from the fans, was expecting the usual barrage of abuse towards the players today but apart from the usual suspects fans seem to have accepted our general shiteness. A couple of slightly dodgy decisions from the ref, albeit in very insignificant areas of the pitch, seemed to be more the target from them in sheer desperation and frustration IMO.

Sorry to hear you've had a shite 12 months, hope things get better for you, agree totally with the sentiment that there's no point in getting completely down about it.

We are so fucked [emoji23]

It was very cold. 

Pars were poor, lucky to get the win but us holding out was a big result. 

St Mirren were much better than the game at EEP. 

How were we lucky? [emoji23]. St.Mirren were shite last night and they were shite in the 4-3 game, they certainly weren't any better than last time.

How were we lucky? [emoji23]. St.Mirren were shite last night and they were shite in the 4-3 game, they certainly weren't any better than last time.

Certainly wouldn't describe it as lucky either, it's just very fucking easy to beat us these days as you just have to wait for a Baird/Webster/Gordon (delete as appropriate) bottle act to slide home the one and only goal you need!

Who was your number 4 by the way? Thought he had a good game.

6 minutes ago, JFPar said:

How were we lucky? emoji23.png. St.Mirren were shite last night and they were shite in the 4-3 game, they certainly weren't any better than last time.

I wouldn't say you were lucky. 

What I would say though is that a team who are ruthless in the final third would have gotten plenty of joy from Dunfermline yesterday. There was a pretty large amount of crossed balls that your defence allowed into the area between penalty spot and goal. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, we either freeze of go AWOL in those situations but it would be safe to say on another day, a better side would have gotten on the end of 2 or 3 of those.

Certainly wouldn't describe it as lucky either, it's just very fucking easy to beat us these days as you just have to wait for a Baird/Webster/Gordon (delete as appropriate) bottle act to slide home the one and only goal you need!

Who was your number 4 by the way? Thought he had a good game.

Number 4 is Lewis Martin. Came through our youth system. Still only 20, but has a lot of first team experience. Has become a key player and very consistent performer this season. Has played all across the back 4, and looked good in each role. That versatility has proven to be a real asset when players have been injured/suspended. Naturally a centre back, but I think he could turn into a good full back.

Archived