Motherwell vs Partick Thistle - 19 November

A clean sheet. A clean shitting sheet! It probably should have been more but I can't grumble with a decent performance.

I'm not sure why we didn't make any subs?

Also a big shout out to Thistle's giant keeper, who is worse than Samson at crosses.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good solid win after a good solid first half performance. We thoroughly deserved our 2-0 lead at the break but it could and should have been a lot more and this is something that concerns me because it seems that if we are not at least two up at half time then we don't win, because we retreat into self destruct mode every second half. If Thistle had anything about them atall they would have got something from that today as yet again we were murder in the 2nd 45 and invited them onto us.

However, they didn't, and we've won a crucial three points from a game that we needed to win. Thought Chris Cadden had a superb match today and easily our man of the match.

Just when you think you can enjoy a win, you hear Mark McGhee say "Craig Samson deserves his clean sheet because of how well he's played all season", and it ruins everything :(.

Bit of an insight into why we've all been wondering when Samson would get dropped...

Good shree points but a bit like the County game in that we were lucky in our opponents - Thistle were absolutely honking at the back in the 1st half and we could/should have gone in a couple more goals up. That said, we'd a decent shape after I worried that changing things to match up with Thistle wouldn't be a good move and I thought the young boys did what was asked of them.

In Mcdonald and Moult, we've got one of the best forward partnerships in the league and they must be a nightmare to play against when they are up for it. I thought Mcdonald's goal was a great finish and it was quite funny after the loud seethe from the South Stand.

I wonder if we should lock McGhee out of the dressing room at half time as not for first time, our second half performance was way below the first half and it seemed a bit odd that not a single sub was used (especially as skippy was knackered in the last 20 mins). 

Biggest let off of the day was when the ref gave us a foul when the Thistle forward had turned Ferguson on the half way line and had a clear run through - totally bizarre but again quite funny watching the Thistle fans going mental, literally the only entertainment in the 2nd half until the wee barney at the corner flag at the end, which at leat stopped the hypothermia getting me.

Can't imagine we'll be getting much out the next two games but at least we go to Tynecastle on the back of a win...

In Mcdonald and Moult, we've got one of the best forward partnerships in the league and they must be a nightmare to play against when they are up for it. I thought Mcdonald's goal was a great finish and it was quite funny after the loud seethe from the South Stand.

Despite our defence being utter toilet you have to give credit to those two. The way each one can swap roles between dragging defences out and the other charging into space is impressive. McDonald in particular was great.

Thought we were good but in equal measure Thistle were shit. McDonald and Moult are a tremendous partnership to have. We look a far worse team when either of them are missing.

That Thistle keeper has made me think that Samson isn't actually as bad as I thought. And if yer boy Aziz up front could finish he'd be a player. Great strength and pace, but his finishing is fucking terrible. He was the same in the draw at Firhill earlier in the season.

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

A clean sheet. A clean shitting sheet! It probably should have been more but I can't grumble with a decent performance.

I'm not sure why we didn't make any subs?

Also a big shout out to Thistle's giant keeper, who is worse than Samson at crosses.

McGhee covers it in his post-match interview. Says he set up to match Thistle's shape as he felt they'd cause a 442 or 433 problems, which they probably would tbf. Points out he expected them to change their shape in 2nd half but they never did, just making like for like changes so he was happy enough to see the game out with the XI on the park.

Interestingly (or not) he didn't make any subs in the 3-1 win at Fir Park against them last season either. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35619552#tab-0 

4 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Thistle fans seethe for Skippy is glorious.

Scott McDonald. Boooooooooooooo!

St.Mirren standard booing this afternoon. I was quite impressed with the sarcastic cheering when they got a free kick in the second half although I didn't think they had been particularly hard done to.

Mark McGhee tactical genius, who'd a thought it? 3 points a good performance and a clean sheet to boot! What a guy.

First half was similar to our other two wins at Fir Park against Accies and County where we blew our opponents away and should have had the game wrapped up by half time. We actually played some decent stuff as well and it makes such a difference to Moult and McDonald(who were both terrific) when they get some decent service/support instead of aimless high balls thumped towards them. Second goal in particular was a cracking bit of fitba. Second half wasn't quite as exciting but I suppose when you haven't kept a clean sheet since August it was probably more important to see things through properly and not give anything stupid away. Shaped worked well and we managed to keep Thistle at arms length for the most part.

Big positive for me was that the youngsters came in and done well again, McMillan continues to impress and rarely seems to put a foot wrong. Felt Ferguson struggled psychically with Azeez at times but he stuck to his task, read the game well and made a number of decent blocks/interventions. Cadden was as industrious as ever and was unlucky with the one that skelped the bar. Both Moult and McDonald were the standouts though, superb up front and gave the Thistle defence a torrid time. Also thought Tait was really good again by the way, doesn't seem to get as much praise as the usual suspects but for me he's been our most consistent performer for the last month or so.

Decent performance today and a well earned 3 points, I've given McGhee peters before for his stupid tinkering before but fair play to him today it actually paid off.  Difficult looking set of fixtures coming up so delighted with the win and only our 2nd clean sheet in the league to go with it.

Was really pleased to see McMillan back in the side, I thought he was particularly unlucky to have dropped out to allow Hammell to start against Dundee.

As far as I can see McMillan is making a more than reasonable case for being viewed as first pick at left back for the rest of the season.

23 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Also thought Tait was really good again by the way, doesn't seem to get as much praise as the usual suspects but for me he's been our most consistent performer for the last month or so.

Said much the same at the game - I think he's settling in well and looks like he's adjusting to the step up. After Moult, Skippy and Cadden, he was our next best player IMO.

Good performance today especially first half.  Partick were poor at the back but they weren't as bad going forward and we still looked comfortable and defended well.  McDonald's goal was a cracker.

2nd half it was mostly about defending the lead.  I understand why we did that and it worked so I'm not going to complain.  Could have scored 6, 7, 8 times today, you can't call that anything other than a good day at the office.

Pants really. First half - and for much of the second - Thistle forgot the point of the game was to put the ball in the net.

First goal was the road to perdition paved with good intention. Second came with most of the away support yelling about a ball into the middle.

Most of the second half was spent wondering about the scoreline if Thistle's forwards were competent.

Still, three points next week.

Convincing win, despite us not being wonderful but we were helped by the Thistle back 3 and GK having a 'mare.

McDonald took his goal well and was excellent all afternoon. Only one downside was the poor attempt to win a penalty in the first half when he went down until little to no contact.

Massive 3 points as our next 5/6 matches are pretty tough, with little chance of picking much up!

14 hours ago, Swello said:

Good shree points but a bit like the County game in that we were lucky in our opponents - Thistle were absolutely honking at the back in the 1st half and we could/should have gone in a couple more goals up. That said, we'd a decent shape after I worried that changing things to match up with Thistle wouldn't be a good move and I thought the young boys did what was asked of them.

I wonder if we should lock McGhee out of the dressing room at half time as not for first time, our second half performance was way below the first half and it seemed a bit odd that not a single sub was used (especially as skippy was knackered in the last 20 mins). 

Biggest let off of the day was when the ref gave us a foul when the Thistle forward had turned Ferguson on the half way line and had a clear run through - totally bizarre but again quite funny watching the Thistle fans going mental, literally the only entertainment in the 2nd half until the wee barney at the corner flag at the end, which at leat stopped the hypothermia getting me.

Can't imagine we'll be getting much out the next two games but at least we go to Tynecastle on the back of a win...

To be fair to the ref, from where I was sitting you could see the forward had handfuls of McMillan's shirt while he turned him. Daft really as there's no chance McMillan would have caught him.

I'm becoming more and more impressed with McMillan every time I see him play. He's getting more comfortable at left back despite it not being his natural position, and even if Hammell is fit again I think it would be very unfair to drop him. Though Hammell is fit for about half an hour every six months these days.

19 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Giving Hammell a two year deal isn't looking like the best bit of business we've ever done at the moment.

On the face of it, aye.

However it seems clear that it's as much a case of having the likes of Hammell, Lasley, McDonald, McManus and McFadden around the first team squad as it is them actually playing. With Cadden a first team fixture and McMillan, Ferguson, Campbell, MacLean and Hastie all being involved in the match day squad then I can understand it. It's been a while since I can remember that number of Academy players having been involved on a regular basis.

I suppose it depends on what the expectations were when he signed it and the terms themselves ie: was the 2 year a concession on the part of the club for him taking the widely reported wage drop etc. Similarly what sort of weighting might have been put on his coaching role at the club? Is it the u15s or u17s he's involved with? We've heard McGhee talk regularly over the past few weeks about how his remit is to bring through and develop the youth players at the club, which seemed a bit rich given McMillan dropped out when a half-fit Hammell started at Dens, but that's by the by.

With McMillan finding his feet a left back and hopefully retaining his place on merit along with Ferguson capable of playing there too then there's an argument that having Hammell around as an experienced back-up option isn't necessarily a bad thing whether he's plays or not. If it was the case when he signed the new deal that he was going to be first choice left back no matter what then that's obviously a different story and it looks a poor decision as he's been struggling to retain any sort of fitness for a while now.

That was fucking awful. We could still be playing now and we wouldn't have scored. First half was particularly terrible with us contributing absolutely nothing. Watching the highlights there and both goals were embarassing. Stuckmann is dreadful and his attempt to punch sums up his whole game, with his seeming inability to want/be able to catch a ball. Barton doesn't exactly cover himself in glory for the second goal, however I thought he was probably the only one to come away with pass marks, and Lawless looked bright when he came on. I've always preferred him when I've seen him play through the middle. Erskine was having one of those days where nothing comes off for him and his head went down after about 10 minutes. Think Azeez needs to be put out on the wing where I think he could cause problems, since he's able to run and beat players, but can't finish for f**k. He also spends most of his time out wide anyway, which is really helpful when we've got one up front and noone in the box. 

Massive improvement needed for next week. Hopefully Cerny is fully fit.

Archived