Paintings

Bold Rover

7 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Hopper, anyone?

image.jpg

6a00d8341c2f0953ef017744d7e92e970d-600wi

Seriously though, I like Hopper, I think he captured the ordinary everyday stuff quite beautifully. I was at Disneyland Paris a few years back and they had a 4ft square version of Office in a Small City hanging at the end of our corridor. Looked great that size.

hb_53.183.jpg

On 11/10/2016 at 23:49, Theo Snelders said:

Anyone like Turner?

Joseph_Mallord_William_Turner_-_Dutch_Boats_in_a_Gale_-_WGA23163.jpg

The-Fighting-'Téméraire'-tugged-to-her-last-Berth-to-be-broken-up.jpg

The Fighting Temeraire

There was an interesting discussion about this on R4 the other morning. Turner was an early adopter of new colours and some of the blues in this were being seen for the first time. He also used a pure black in the funnel of the tugboat which is apparently a big artistic no-no and he was criticised for it. Funnily enough, the funnel is in the wrong place - it should be further back above the boiler and between the paddles but Turner thought this interfered with the lines of the Temeraire so moved it forward. When the painting went to the printers to be mass produced, the printer moved the funnel into it's "correct" position. Turner found out and went nuts, insisting it be put back where he wanted it but the first print run had already gone out.

Also, there's nowhere on the Thames where you could see a setting sun like that - a geographical impossibility.

I've always liked Gustave Caillebotte. He's usually listed among the impressionists, which is where I usually find the most art I enjoy, but his cleanness of line, and interest in perspective & form actually often put him more comfortably with the post-impressionists, and even set the ground for some aspects of futurism.

A few particular loves:

Paris Street, Rainy Day

Gustave_Caillebotte_-_Paris_Street;_Rain

Raboteurs de parquets

gustave-caillebotte-raboteurs.jpg

The Pont de l’Europe

10JPCAILLEBOTTE5-master675.jpg

Boulevard des Italiens

boulevard-des-italiens.jpg!Large.jpg

Jeune Homme à la fenêtre

G._Caillebotte_-_Jeune_homme_%C3%A0_la_f

Edited by milton75

10 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Beach at Carnoustie.

carnoustie beach2.jpg

Missus says.. "I hope he's selling these". 

Eta because she thinks they're good, not as in you need to get them out of the house.

Edited by Shandon Par

On 10/11/2016 at 21:36, Wren Road said:

The Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch

358b1d27b39b72af2e1a27bcbc952907.jpg

Amazing piece. I watched a BBC4 programme on this triptych and I found it wonderfully engrossing. 

On 10/11/2016 at 22:51, Miguel Sanchez said:

Dali's big picture of Jesus in Kelvingrove is nice too

Christ_of_Saint_John_of_the_Cross.jpg

Another favourite.  Apparently the scene at the bottom of the painting is the view from Dali's house. 

For some reason this painting was regularly slashed. Only in Glasgow...

It's just pretentious shite then, a splatter of paint on a sheet and passed off as art. I remember being in an art shop once and there was one piece that had an orange blob on canvas. It was just a piece of canvas and someone had thrown orange paint on it and made a blob. It was called "orange on canvas" with an asking price of £250. To me that is just an absolute brass neck to be asking for that sort of money for something like that but I'm sure some pretentious arsehole bought the thing.