Paintings

Bold Rover

I like Banksy. I went to see an exhibition of his and it was brilliant.

His art might be dismissed by some as only street art but his traditional art is 🙂 

Also, his heart is in the right place. He is special. He is really funny as well.

From the olden days...Hubert Robert is like an old timer that would now be doing Judge Dredd stuff. He is something, his artwork is huge. 

14 hours ago, Eednud said:

Worth bumping with a painting for our time. “Plague In An Ancient City” by Dutch painter Michiel Sweerts, painted between 1652-1654.

C2DE5FD7-0D8B-40C7-8B19-1BB18D12F49B.jpeg

All their clothing shops had to shut back then as well. It just shows that history does repeat itself.

Maybe it’s been mentioned already, but I like this pretty famous Edward Hopper painting.

8CF8D1F4-1B5F-47EF-A7E3-183FA8EC2031.jpeg.6367f047258f8705bc9280e94d07f06d.jpeg

I like a lot of his stuff, went to Disneyland Paris a few years back and stayed in the New York hotel. Most of the artwork in the hotel was Hopper stuff, and when you see it large scale like some of it was it looks fantastic.

I like this video from YouTube

I like Banksy. I went to see an exhibition of his and it was brilliant.
His art might be dismissed by some as only street art but his traditional art is [emoji846] 
Also, his heart is in the right place. He is special. He is really funny as well.

My issue with him (and those of his ilk) are that it's very difficult to create subtle political art so most of it comes across as the jotter scrawlings of a leftist student brought to life.

I don't think he's really advancing the discussion in any way, which seems to be his goal, he's not changing anyone's minds either, as it mainly seems to exist as a way for the already converted to think they are smart and relevant.

• 2 weeks later...

Art created by AI is really interesting, almost all of the “paintings” I’ve seen have a haunting quality about them. For art to be created by something that has no real concept of “art” is really quite something.

https://www.ar*****allery.com/

ETA: url has a banned word in it it seems.

Art-Ai-Gallery.com without the hyphens.

One of my favourites. 

Albert Square, Manchester by Adolphe Valette.  1910.

Adolphe was a Frenchman teaching at the Manchester School of Art and was Lowry's tutor.

It is on display in the Manchester Art Gallery.

thumbnail_image001.jpg

Edited by eindhovendee
To add where it is on display.

On 15/11/2016 at 18:43, Bold Rover said:

Do we like Avril Paton? Thistle supporters - Windows In The West?

image.jpg

I have a copy of this at home, it’s an incredible piece of work.

I’m not really an art gallery sort of guy but I’d like to see the original to fully appreciate individual scenes within the painting that the artist is looking to depict.

• 1 month later...

The art loving contingent on P&B may be interested in the Keith Haring documentary that's on BBC2 tonight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kqk5

I do like Haring's work even though a lot of it is fairly simple. I'm also quite interested in the 1980s New York counterculture scene of art, music and nightclubs that Haring is associated with. 

keith_haring_crack_down_1986.jpg

I have a copy of this at home, it’s an incredible piece of work.
I’m not really an art gallery sort of guy but I’d like to see the original to fully appreciate individual scenes within the painting that the artist is looking to depict.
The original is in Kelvingrove now, it's huge, something like 5ft x 4ft.

The building itself is in Dowanhill at the corner of Roxburgh Street and Saltoun Street.

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Eednud said:

Russell Drysdale’s 1941 “Going To The Pictures” sold at auction in Melbourne for A$2.4m (A$3m incl. buyer’s premium and GST).

E33B3FBA-C5BC-46E9-A90D-CE27D09C1CC9.jpeg

It would have been funny if someone had sneaked it and added Rolf Harris' signature to the bottom.