Paintings

Bold Rover

That was one of the paintings that I was talking about. If I remember correctly then most of those figures are almost full scale.

The Night Watch is a colossal painting in every sense. It fills that room and grabs your attention. I've not been to the Rijksmuseum since it was refurbished. Definitely on the must-visit list next time I go back.

21 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The Night Watch is a colossal painting in every sense. It fills that room and grabs your attention. I've not been to the Rijksmuseum since it was refurbished. Definitely on the must-visit list next time I go back.

Went to the Van Gogh Museum decades ago and you could barely see the paintings because of the lighting and glass protecting them. Sure it's improved,

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

Hopper, anyone?

image.jpg

omd-tour-poster---konzertplakat---crush-

The old Orchestral Manouevres In The Dark album Crush had a pastiche of his famous "Early Sunday Morning" for its cover, very apt for a record which at first seemed quiet and respectable but turned out to be a very melancholy, bleak little affair - The Lights Are Going Out was identical to an early Sisters of Mercy track (minus the trying too hard to sound like the Velvet Underground nonsense they indulged it when Ben Gunn was still with them).

But yeah, Hopper, no one quite captured the mood of "being lonely in a place of so many" quite like him.

Edited by WaffenThinMint

On 11/11/2016 at 05:03, peasy23 said:

Good idea for a thread. 

Not been for a while, but I do like to have a wander round Kelvingrove now and again. I've never been particularly artistic myself but paintings fascinates me. I find it remarkable that someone like Lowry, more famous for his "busy" works, can also come up with something so simple like this Seascape, which tbh a picture doesn't do justice to.

GL_GM_3487.jpg

Is that called "Belgrano"?

One artist I've always admired in a transfixed, childlike fashion is Gustav Dore. If you wrote something which you find in the "Classical" section of your local bookshop, he's probably done an engraving of it:

Paradiso_Canto_31.jpg

Heaven in Dante's Divine Comedy

Paradise_Lost_13.jpg

Lucifer running away in Milton's Paradise Lost

Gustave_Dor%C3%A9_-_Loch_Lomond.jpg

He also seems to have liked painting Scotland - Loch Lomond

Great thread!

Another Van Gogh fan here and 'The Starry Night', shown up thread is one of my favourites. For me though, it's edged by the similarly themed 'Starry Night over the Rhone."

meaning-analysis-starry-night-over-the-r

Interestingly, images from the Hubble Telescope suggests that Vincent's psychotic episodes may have allowed him to observe the physical phenomenon of turbulent flow - hence the stars' appearance as swirls of light.

The Fluid Dynamics of 'The Starry Night'.