Best Combined Scotland / England XI

NewHope

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, killienick said:

Beckham was a terrific player. I don't understand why some people only saw his haircut rather than his undoubted ability.

Beckham was overrated to absolute f**k.

7 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Sorry, my mistake. I thought I was picking players for Scotland/England and not based on what club they played for..

Also, I only picked McCoist as I didn't want to have more England players in the team :lol:

You picked a pretty stupid team.

The inclusion of McCoist was desperately idiotic, rivaled only by those of Cooper and Boyd, God help us.

13 minutes ago, killienick said:

Really?!  Played quite a few games at the highest possible level and for the biggest clubs in the world. 

Due to his reputation and profile. Not his ability.

1 hour ago, Slenderman said:

Due to his reputation and profile. Not his ability.

Yes, a flash lifestyle was just the sort of thing to seduce people like Alex Ferguson.

Anyone suggesting that what Beckham achieved in football was not merited by his ability, is loopy.  A terrific footballer.

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, a flash lifestyle was just the sort of thing to seduce people like Alex Ferguson.

Anyone suggesting that what Beckham achieved in football was not merited by his ability, is loopy.  A terrific footballer.

Lolwut?

Not sure where you are going with that.

Beckham came through youth as a nobody & Fergie got rid as soon as he realised his fame was more than his ability.

1 minute ago, Slenderman said:

Lolwut?

Not sure where you are going with that.

Beckham came through youth as a nobody & Fergie got rid as soon as he realised his fame was more than his ability.

Having fielded him as a regular for around eight seasons.

17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Having fielded him as a regular for around eight seasons.

Like I said; when his fame outweighed his talent he got tossed about like a hot potato.

Decent player, but no danger he should be in a England/Scotland XI.

2 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

Like I said; when his fame outweighed his talent he got tossed about like a hot potato.

Decent player, but no danger he should be in a England/Scotland XI.

Ferguson was troubled by aspects of his lifestyle eventually I think, but they didn't render him a poor player.  It's not as if he sank without trace upon leaving.

He was a top class footballer - one of the very best wide players around for several years.  That comfortably makes him a viable contender for a place in any Scotland/England side from recent decades.

No bloody English in my team!

Andy Goram

Bardsley Martin Matt Elliott Danny Fox

Kris Commons Bruce Rioch Nigel Spackman Stuart McCall

Chris Martin Steven Fletcher

Modern day makes it a bit easier although players like Souness and Lineker were just before my time.

-------------------------------Goram------------------------------

----Neville---------Ferdinand--------Adams-----Cole--------

-----------------------------Lambert------------------------------

-------Beckham--------------------------------Scholes----------

-----------------------------Gazza---------------------------------

-------------------Shearer---------------Owen-------------------

F'kin hate Paul Scholes after he broke my heart at Hampden that day so I've papped him out on the left to make room for Gazza :P.

Was trying to make a case for more Scottish players but in the last 20 years or so it's pretty impossible.

Fuckin' mare here for Slenderman. Came through youth as a nobody?? So did Luke Chadwick and Ben Thornley. Only an idiot can't see that Beckham, and the others in that Utd team, had what very few others before or since (with the exception of Terry, Lampard, Ferdinand, Ashley Cole and Gerrard) in the way of longevity through bloody hard work. As a player, he offered probably the quickest switch of a ball i've ever seen, and no one's came near it. Alonso and Pirlo, about the closest. And certainly better on the eye than Hoddle's hoofball, for example. 

Archived