Next QotS Manager

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Mr X said:

Its not ideal but as its already Thursday night, hes unlikely to have had much chance to impact Saturday or Tuesdays game anyway.

Its one of those that can go either way, players raise their games coz he is there or as in a few cases, seen new managers stand back, watch in stand, see similar abysmal performances as previous and has words of wisdom to players, pointers applied at half time in dressing room and performance gets a boost.

A real outside bet appointment, I can only add that his east fife side held their own against us a few seasons ago, were pretty on the eye and took two very very late goals for us to get by them.

The recent form guide at east fife suggest his interview went well and he ticked more check list points that the other candidates didnt. Gary was also still playing at East Fife, dunno if this will be still the case, sure the East Fife fan I knew said he was sometimes playing as a sweeper. I recall McAllister ripping him a new arsehole in a cup game, McAllister the wrong side of 30 and Naysmith classed as the best left back in Scotland.....

9 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

He confirmed in his interview with our site that he is giving up playing. He wanted to do so last year but the east fife budget didn't allow him to replace himself.

He might reconsider when he sees our defence.

9 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

As we all know in football to stay in the managerial game long term getting results is the no 1 criteria.

After that you can assess - is the quality of football enjoyable to watch, is the club developing young players etc etc.

Posters tell us repeatedly that QOS are essentially a mid table Championship club (a fair assessment) - by the same token I would say East Fife are a mid table Div 1 side. I look at the table and see them in 9th place only 4 points above a very poor Stenny side. Their fans are suggesting that the tactics involve 3 holding midfielders and a lone striker. I am not getting great vibes here but time will tell. It may be that Naysmith will do better when working with a full time set up and better players. To be fair this BOD have made some decent managerial appointments - AJ, Jim McIntyre, James Fowler did well too, and Gavin Skelton was shaping well. For a variety of reasons we never seem to get much continuity. I can only assume that Naysmith has interviewed very well because the managerial hard facts at East Fife are not very inspiring.

Needless to say we wish him well because he could not be coming in at a tougher time.

9 hours ago, Paco said:

Ray McKinnon was doing a relatively average job at Brechin when he got the job with us. He was only here a year and turned us from permanent lower half dross to our highest points tally at this level since 1995. And now he's at Dundee United.

Ian Murray did a stellar job with Dumbarton but was sacked within a couple of months at St Mirren. Stevie Aitken did a very good job at Stranraer but is failing with Dumbarton. 

Point is, I think you can read too much into a manager's achievements. Sometimes it just works for someone at a certain club, sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't always make them an amazing/awful manager. Naysmith to me looks like a solid appointment, be interesting to see how he gets on - always assumed we'd end up with him eventually, to be honest.

I agree with both these posts, even though the spirits of them seem contradictory.

There's not that much in our new manager's record to get excited about, but at the same time, we all know that it's an inexact science and it's interesting from here to see where it heads.  

It's encouraging that people are saying he's thorough and articulate, but the reality is that we just don't know how this might go.  Something needed to change and the fact that it has is welcome.  It's hard to imagine a realistic appointment that would have carried any guarantees though, given how our season is going.

It is, without doubt, a leap into the dark.

Let's see.

On 01/12/2016 at 19:34, kirkyblue2 said:

IMG_1861.JPG

54 minutes ago, Black and White Tragic said:

I have to say I am shocked.

At this blatant plagiarism. All we need now is a Raith Rovers fan to make some racist comparison, and you can have a full reenactment.

As you say shocking. For a moment there i thought Naysmith had changed his mind and Ian Jobby McCall was coming home.

Seems such a low grade appointment for a club who has the likes of Dobbie playing for them, are full-time, and are now established in the Championship.  Is it a `living within your means` type of appointment do you think? or is this the man to take you on to the next level and push for the top league?  If it is the latter then no doubt, as soon as any success looms on the horizon he will be snapped up by some bigger club.  We have Jobby, and everyone should have a Jobby.  The older Jobby is reliable and loyal, not going anywhere, not dazzled by the bright lights of elsewhere.  A good, solid, stand up Jobby, that`s what everyone needs.

On 12/2/2016 at 14:38, Angusfifer said:

The stuff about us only doing this because of one player is absolute nonsense. Jonathan Page, Scott Mercer, Jason Kerr, Kevin Smith, Kyle Wilkie and the Gaffer himself were all instrumental as well as players such as Ross Brown and Pat Slattery who got little credit from some quarters.

Always good to see Splatters getting a mention.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He is according to soccerbase. Can't locate player profiles on East Fife's website. I did wonder after reading that poster's post if Naysmith may consider bringing Slattery back here.

Wouldn't thinks not in East Fife first 11 so canny imagine Naysmith bringing him to Queens.

On 12/1/2016 at 21:51, east fife for life said:

Good luck to Gary, a very honest guy who's worked hard but unfortunately this season has been awful. Zero wins in 8 and playing hoof ball.

Amazed at this appointment.  East Fife have always paid resonably well for a league 1/2 club.  Im guessing the fact aitchison got sacked when they were 9th in league 1 gives an indication that the board at least, thought that they should be higher placed given the budget.  The fact Naysmith gets a promotion to Queens whilst ending up the same position (and including a relegation) seems very strange to say the least.  As others have said, no wins in 8 and 2 points from 21 - he hardly sounds like the type to end a losing run like Queens are on.  Seems to be one of the guys that everyone has the perception of doing well, but under scrutiny his record is actually pretty crap.  Bizarre.

5 hours ago, justin time said:

Seems to be one of the guys that everyone has the perception of doing well, but under scrutiny his record is actually pretty crap.  Bizarre.

We are seeing a generation of players with decent records at national level and/or in England, getting a leg up to management positions they maybe haven't earned. I am thinking Nielson when he started at Hearts, Pressley and now Naysmith. Sure there are others...

Archived