The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

This from John McCain's campaign manager.

Donald Trump has been the worst president this country has ever had. And I don't say that hyperbolically. He is. But he is a consequential president. And he has brought this country in three short years to a place of weakness that is simply unimaginable if you were pondering where we are today from the day where Barack Obama left office. And there were a lot of us on that day who were deeply skeptical and very worried about what a Trump presidency would be. But this is a moment of unparalleled national humiliation, of weakness.
"When you listen to the President, these are the musings of an imbecile. An idiot. And I don't use those words to name call. I use them because they are the precise words of the English language to describe his behavior. His comportment. His actions. We've never seen a level of incompetence, a level of ineptitude so staggering on a daily basis by anybody in the history of the country whose ever been charged with substantial responsibilities.
"It's just astonishing that this man is president of the United States. The man, the con man, from New York City. Many bankruptcies, failed businesses, a reality show, that branded him as something that he never was. A successful businessman. Well, he's the President of the United States now, and the man who said he would make the country great again. And he's brought death, suffering, and economic collapse on truly an epic scale. And let's be clear. This isn't happening in every country around the world. This place. Our place. Our home. Our country. The United States. We are the epicenter. We are the place where you're the most likely to die from this disease. We're the ones with the most shattered economy. And we are because of the fool that sits in the Oval Office behind the Resolute Desk.

4 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

This from John McCain's campaign manager.

Donald Trump has been the worst president this country has ever had. And I don't say that hyperbolically. He is. But he is a consequential president. And he has brought this country in three short years to a place of weakness that is simply unimaginable if you were pondering where we are today from the day where Barack Obama left office. And there were a lot of us on that day who were deeply skeptical and very worried about what a Trump presidency would be. But this is a moment of unparalleled national humiliation, of weakness.
"When you listen to the President, these are the musings of an imbecile. An idiot. And I don't use those words to name call. I use them because they are the precise words of the English language to describe his behavior. His comportment. His actions. We've never seen a level of incompetence, a level of ineptitude so staggering on a daily basis by anybody in the history of the country whose ever been charged with substantial responsibilities.
"It's just astonishing that this man is president of the United States. The man, the con man, from New York City. Many bankruptcies, failed businesses, a reality show, that branded him as something that he never was. A successful businessman. Well, he's the President of the United States now, and the man who said he would make the country great again. And he's brought death, suffering, and economic collapse on truly an epic scale. And let's be clear. This isn't happening in every country around the world. This place. Our place. Our home. Our country. The United States. We are the epicenter. We are the place where you're the most likely to die from this disease. We're the ones with the most shattered economy. And we are because of the fool that sits in the Oval Office behind the Resolute Desk.

Spot on. He's absolutely fucked it. No surprise right enough. If he'd even looked like he was trying that would be something but he's howled at the moon throughout his entire term. 

Terrible messaging in the middle of a pandemic, and given what he's said, but there are 2000 federally funded or supported testing stations and the 13 that are getting funding withdrawn will carry on operating with local support. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/24/coronavirus-federal-government-to-end-funding-some-covid-19-test-sites.html

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I'm no fan but he is easily a better candidate than the manchild.

If those polls stay as they are it would mean a landslide for Biden.

I was a bit worried because Clinton was well ahead on the polls too, but that's reassuring. Biden's just got to hide and let Trump implode.

And hire a decent VP who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

On 23/06/2020 at 17:14, O'Kelly Isley III said:
On 23/06/2020 at 16:16, welshbairn said:
He'd be daft to while Trump is on full self destruct mode, quite apart from the arse he makes of it every time he opens his mouth. His polls have been booming every day he stays in hiding.

There was an interesting review of a book about Melania in the weekend papers. Seems that apart from her cutting up his meat at dinner time they are hardly ever in the same room.

Which Melania; the real one, or the transexual stand-in?

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I was a bit worried because Clinton was well ahead on the polls too, but that's reassuring. Biden's just got to hide and let Trump implode.

And hire a decent VP who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

The tangerine terror still has four or five months to turn things around; these polls can look wild by the time the election comes around. People have short memories, unfortunately. There does seem to be an air of Blair in 1997 though; anyone but the Tories/Trump. Biden's not receiving those polling figures due to anything he's done.

It'll be interesting to see what Trumpy has planned for the run-in. There'll come a point where he'll need to press the nuclear button. Not literally. Then again...

On 19/03/2018 at 14:35, NotThePars said:

George Orwell. Great writer.

On 24/06/2020 at 17:49, NotThePars said:

Bold words from the guy still quoting George Orwell's Animal Farm as some serious insight in his 30s 😅

7 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Do I have to start stating my tone like the Elcor in Mass Effect for you to understand basic patter?

Depends. Are you going to recite Hamlet?

On 23/06/2020 at 16:16, welshbairn said:

He'd be daft to while Trump is on full self destruct mode, quite apart from the arse he makes of it every time he opens his mouth. His polls have been booming every day he stays in hiding.

Keeping out of the road worked for Boris while the press hammered Corbyn.

11 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The tangerine terror still has four or five months to turn things around; these polls can look wild by the time the election comes around. People have short memories, unfortunately. There does seem to be an air of Blair in 1997 though; anyone but the Tories/Trump. Biden's not receiving those polling figures due to anything he's done.

It'll be interesting to see what Trumpy has planned for the run-in. There'll come a point where he'll need to press the nuclear button. Not literally. Then again...

Don't give him any ideas, ffs...

3 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Keeping out of the road worked for Boris while the press hammered Corbyn.

....Trump must be getting ready to find a nice big fridge although i don't think his ego would let him hide away. From Twitter it looks like he's fire fighting on every front and as opposed to putting out the flames he's just throwing more petrol on them. Unbelievably it seems to work for a good bunch of his followers.

I'm still amazed that the Republican party themselves are in effect just standing back, scared to act. Is there a real concern that as a party they could be doing serious long term damage in a lot of states?

40 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

I'm still amazed that the Republican party themselves are in effect just standing back, scared to act. Is there a real concern that as a party they could be doing serious long term damage in a lot of states?

Its a huge issue. Control of how congressional districts are drawn up resides in state houses. They have gerrymandered many states so that even with a Democrat majority the state returns more republican congress seats. If there is a big enough anti Trump swing and the Democrats take some of these states it will put congress out of their reach for a generation without a major realignment [edited as Democrat controlled state houses will redraw both congressional boundries and the gerrymandered state legislative boundaries]. They have only won the popular vote in the presidential elections once since Bush 42 (Dubya's dad) that was Dubya's reelection. Despite appearances they know they have had a serious disconnect with a chunk of the electorate for decades. Trump scorched their efforts to engage with socially conservative Latino voters as well so this put some of the attempts to redress their "old, white, rich" image. This is why so much of the Republican establishment was against him at the outset. But his popularity with the activist base meant they swung behind him. But this may have cost them a huge amount in the longer term. 

The goal of the funders of the GOP was to keep a steady high volume of "culture war" issues at the front of politics so there was less discussion on things like workers rights and tax. If they have painted themselves into a corner in that they are now too extreme to routinely win the presidency and congress, with only the senate as a reliable source of Republican majorities in the branches of government, this could have far reaching consequences. 

Trump rode a wave of antiestablishment nihilism in 2016. I strongly doubt that wave is the force it was. 

Though the presidency will be a "hospital pass" if that phrase is familiar to people. 

fred.thumb.jpg.3199f5bd5b324ed8bfbc251181ca119b.jpg

The black line is one drawn by me. Its not real statistics but there for a visual cue. Housing like many asset classes is thought to be in a bubble and with huge unemployment the next president is going to have a job at least as big as the one Obama faced in terms of a potential crash. 

[edited, the graphic is US house prices from the Federal Reserve, it shows a potential housing bubble about to pop that whoever is next could have to deal with. The fall out of that may be an opportunity for the Republican establishment to paint Democrats as financially unsound with the national economy. Its a bit more than your question asked but it shows the longer game after Trump.]

Edited by dorlomin