The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

17 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

I am definitely no supporter of Trump but as I have said many times he is the first president since Roosevelt  77 years ago who has not started or escalated a war, so far!

As long s he continues with his trade deal wars, (which only he thinks he's good at), and doesn't get thousands of civilians and military personnel killed then ......................

What amuses me is that the failed actor, homophobic racist warmonger Reagan who invented Reaganomics, which Thatcher copied to our detriment, bombed Libya, involved american military personnel in Lebanon which cost american lives. And to top it all the invasion of the tiny island of Grenada with thousands of troops backed by a large naval force.

And yet he was lauded during his state visit as as if he was a shining knight with all of the establishment queuing up to lick his right wing arse.

That's a fairly narrow distinction to make. US forces are after all still active, or at least were recently during Trump's tenure over Syria. US forces are still in combat throughout the world. He might not have started anything new, but then again, the US as aggressor in all things is a recent thing. Roosevelt, Truman and Eisenhower may have have started or escalated things but for the most part they were without a choice. Germany and Japan declared total war on the US, North Korea invaded the South - hardly seems fair to look at them and say, Trump is better because he hasn't gotten involved, no? Don't think Carter or Ford were particularly active in the bombing shit out of things stakes either. George HW Bush didn't have much recourse over the 91 Gulf War either-it was of course a UN sanctioned action, as were Clinton's Balkan interventions. Are we really saying the world would be a better place without US and others military interventions there?

US foreign policy isn't obviously great and it's whole noughties trajectory has been one towards forever war for no good stakes in places like Afghanistan, just as it was in Vietnam in the 60s. Reagan of course had Nicuragua and Grenada as well as Lebanon and Libya - certainly he is one you could look on unfavourably but without historical context, just totting up number of military actions authorised by US presidents and declaring Trump to be winner because he's managed to avoid escalating one so far doesn't seem like a good metric to me.

I'm not going to watch it. I recall horror stories about UK chicken production and processing. Apart from the chloride bath what else are the yanks doing that we are not ?

Was in one of the breakfasty type places in Florida ‘Bob Evans’ ordered steak and eggs for breakfast. Everyone else’s pancakes etc came but I was left waiting. I asked the waitress why there was a delay and she said ‘sorry hunny they had to defrost your steak under the hot tap it was still frozen’. This place apparently had a top food safety grading.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

:lol:

The guy is as thick as pigshit.  That is why he has not submitted himself to one serious media interview or engaged in one genuine political debate.

He knows nothing about foreign policy, domestic policy, the economy, defence, environmental issues, the legal system, etc, etc, etc.

The ignoramus who became President. 

44 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The guy is as thick as pigshit.  That is why he has not submitted himself to one serious media interview or engaged in one genuine political debate.

He knows nothing about foreign policy, domestic policy, the economy, defence, environmental issues, the legal system, etc, etc, etc.

The ignoramus who became President. 

Makes you want to hark back to the days when intellectuals like GWB became President.

3 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

The p***k is basically saying, aye we'll be having your NHS and you can all pay to visit it once you've ate our shitey food. The BBC are talking about what he'll be eating and which tory joy boy he'll be letting blow him off. 

Everything has to be on the table when it comes to trade deals, he is correct. It's the UK negotiation team's job to make sure it is swiftly removed from the table when asked about it. This could all have been easily avoided but down folk decided to vote leave.

4 hours ago, renton said:

That's a fairly narrow distinction to make. US forces are after all still active, or at least were recently during Trump's tenure over Syria. US forces are still in combat throughout the world. He might not have started anything new, but then again, the US as aggressor in all things is a recent thing. Roosevelt, Truman and Eisenhower may have have started or escalated things but for the most part they were without a choice. Germany and Japan declared total war on the US, North Korea invaded the South - hardly seems fair to look at them and say, Trump is better because he hasn't gotten involved, no? Don't think Carter or Ford were particularly active in the bombing shit out of things stakes either. George HW Bush didn't have much recourse over the 91 Gulf War either-it was of course a UN sanctioned action, as were Clinton's Balkan interventions. Are we really saying the world would be a better place without US and others military interventions there?

US foreign policy isn't obviously great and it's whole noughties trajectory has been one towards forever war for no good stakes in places like Afghanistan, just as it was in Vietnam in the 60s. Reagan of course had Nicuragua and Grenada as well as Lebanon and Libya - certainly he is one you could look on unfavourably but without historical context, just totting up number of military actions authorised by US presidents and declaring Trump to be winner because he's managed to avoid escalating one so far doesn't seem like a good metric to me.

Trump right at the start of his tenancy? withdrew all troops from Syria.

Which country/countries have US troops on the ground?

You're right with Truman, given the mass japanese suicides on Okinawa and the bombing of Tokyo failed to make them surrender and it was clear that the US were facing massive casualties if they invaded the mainland.

I will say it again every US president since Eisenhower have started or escalated a war, check it out.

Carter was the slight exception, but he did give $500,000 to the Mujahideen, read up operation cyclone. However we don't know  how Carter would have carried on if he had got a second term. Homophobic racist warmongering Reagan carried on from Carter.

Two things motivate aggressive american foreign policy, oil and communism, So far Trump has not succumbed to them though I'm sure the hawks will be bearing down on him.

For instance it's liitle known that companies like Occidental have major stakes in Libyan oil fields and have done for 40 years and still have to this day.

Anyway I've no more to say on the matter.

The wife had a washing out today and then it rained, she said that it was Trump's fault it rained.

7 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

You're right with Truman, given the mass japanese suicides on Okinawa and the bombing of Tokyo failed to make them surrender and it was clear that the US were facing massive casualties if they invaded the mainland.

I will say it again every US president since Eisenhower have started or escalated a war, check it out.

Carter was the slight exception, but he did give $500,000 to the Mujahideen, read up operation cyclone. However we don't know  how Carter would have carried on if he had got a second term. Homophobic racist warmongering Reagan carried on from Carter.

Two things motivate aggressive american foreign policy, oil and communism, So far Trump has not succumbed to them though I'm sure the hawks will be bearing down on him.

For instance it's liitle known that companies like Occidental have major stakes in Libyan oil fields and have done for 40 years and still have to this day.

The wife had a washing out today and then it rained, she said that it was Trump's fault it rained.

I was swithering whether to hang our washing out or not, it was quite pleasant here this morning at 9.30, and decided to stick it in the drier, so couldn't give a monkeys whether it's Trump's fault for the rain or not.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Makes you want to hark back to the days when intellectuals like GWB became President.

If it was a straight vote between W and Trump tomorrow, I'd vote for W without hesitation.

15 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Still plenty of US assets being used to make big craters, even if they aren't troops on the ground, and as I said before while you can certainly look at some Presidents interventions in an imperialistic light, others you simply can't. The fact that Clinton sent forces into Bosnia and then Kosovo are not signs that Trump has a more enlightened foreign policy, for example.

22 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

^^^^ Been milkshaked.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

If it was a straight vote between W and Trump tomorrow, I'd vote for W without hesitation.

Bush and his team were evil fucks who committed countless war crimes and got away with abusing the rule of law on a level not seen in decades. It's horrific that he's been rehabilitated by the press because he brings sweeties to Michelle Obama.  Trump has employed the likes of Bolton etc who were part of that and the same regressive social conservatives.

Trump's a fanny and wouldn't hesitate to bomb a village if it gave him a single cent or compliment but I think there's a lack of competence there and it probably will back fire and see a Democratic resurgence (unless they somehow f**k it up). You could argue that someone like Kasich or Jeb Bush would come across as much more articulate and reasonable but effectively be much more dangerous because they'd inevitable have the same people working for them but cover their actions with stealth.

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

George Bush is an insanely clever guy. The whole 'stupid' thing was basically him dumbing himself down, when he first entered politics and he comes across as very well articulated; a few years later and his accent and mannerisms have completely changed. A lot of it is just perception bias as well - Obama naturally misspoke a lot as well or did silly things as well but just didn't have it highlighted whereas when Bush did it, it become a big thing.