banana

The Official President Trump thread

The changing face of America is irrelevant if the widespread disenfranchisement of minorities isn’t addressed.

22 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Why do people keep saying assorted things are or will be damaging to Trump? Nothing makes any difference.

The power of impeachment lies with the House of Representatives.  If these assorted things are, as increasingly seems the case, nefarious or downright illegal, some of the less careerist-minded Republicans will be forced to vote for impeachment.  If Mueller finds grounds to charge the president (or his family, or his entourage generally, or even his administration) with  illegal activity such as, oh let's just say, money laundering, that process would then become inevitable.    The problem is with lickspittles such as Lankford and Cruz, who wouldn't vote for impeachment under any circumstances whatsoever.

Republicans won’t vote for impeachment while they can throw any old shit in front of Trump and can expect that he’ll sign it. Heck even the fucking idiot Democrats just helped push through even more surveillance legislation that’s supposedly going to stop Trump or something?

14 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Republicans won’t vote for impeachment while they can throw any old shit in front of Trump and can expect that he’ll sign it. Heck even the fucking idiot Democrats just helped push through even more surveillance legislation that’s supposedly going to stop Trump or something?

It depends because it's not exactly like Mike Pence is going to be casting much scrutiny over republican policies either. I think if the Republicans struggle at a favourable midterm then the knives could be out if the careerist Republicans start worrying about getting crushed in 2020.

Even if the Dems take over the Senate and House I don't think they'll impeach him for anything less than rape/murder. They'd be able to stop him doing much, like the Reps did to Obama, and get shot of him in 2020. If they managed to impeach him for anything less than a major crime the reaction would be rage on a massive scale, and would probably screw their chances in 2020.

Even if the Dems take over the Senate and House I don't think they'll impeach him for anything less than rape/murder. They'd be able to stop him doing much, like the Reps did to Obama, and get shot of him in 2020. If they managed to impeach him for anything less than a major crime the reaction would be rage on a massive scale, and would probably screw their chances in 2020.

Agreed. You can’t just impeach someone because you don’t like them. 65 million people voted for him, the backlash could legitimately go into civil war or at least some shooting matches in such an armed country.

Any impeachment will need to be watertight and for something that outrages the majority of the country. I’m not sure telling the Russian ambassador that his incoming administration will reverse Obama sanctions will really fall into that category.

If (and I still think that’s a massive if) the Democrats take the House and Senate they just need to let a lame-duck President see things out.

There have been suggestions that the 'Russian connection' has to do with money laundering and Trump's business interests.  If this is the case it would be solid grounds for impeachment.

The Democrats may see there chances in 2020 as being better if Trump was in the WH rather than Pence and would probably avoid impeachment unless they thought it was more politically damaging.  What a fucking mess! 

Is it just me who finds the idea of running for president of the USA in order to launder money absolutely ludicrous? Personally I'd be looking to fly a little more under the radar.

6 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Is it just me who finds the idea of running for president of the USA in order to launder money absolutely ludicrous? Personally I'd be looking to fly a little more under the radar.

I don't think the two are connected. Think he ran for President to raise his profile and help kick off a cable channel, without ever thinking he'd actually win. The money laundering allegations are from before, like where he got the money to buy Turnberry and Meanie golf courses with no realistic prospects of turning a profit.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think the two are connected. Think he ran for President to raise his profile and help kick off a cable channel, without ever thinking he'd actually win. The money laundering allegations are from before, like where he got the money to buy Turnberry and Meanie golf courses with no realistic prospects of turning a profit.

Whether or not he really believed he could win, I'm pretty sure he wanted to given that he's been talking about it for about 30 years. Bit of a risky move to become the most intensely scrutinised person on Earth with such a history of nefarious dealings.

6 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Whether or not he really believed he could win, I'm pretty sure he wanted to given that he's been talking about it for about 30 years. Bit of a risky move to become the most intensely scrutinised person on Earth with such a history of nefarious dealings.

I think he thought he could blag his way through as usual by threatening to sue anyone who accused him of anything, and refusing to release his tax records. It is a bit suspicious that both his sons have been quoted saying they've had a shed load of money from Russians and Trump says he's had no dealings with them apart from the Miss World thing. As Michael Flynn said to a friend who warned him about taking money from the Russians and Turks, it would only be a problem if Trump won.

Edited by welshbairn

Think it was Felix Biederman that said the Resistance/ Clinton Democrats' obsession with impeachment is because all of them are the sort of people who demand to speak to the manager and transfer this to their view on how politics should be conducted.

I think he thought he could blag his way through as usual by threatening to sue anyone who accused him of anything, and refusing to release his tax records. It is a bit suspicious that both his sons have been quoted saying they've had a shed load of money from Russians and Trump says he's had no dealings with them apart from the Miss World thing. As Michael Flynn said to a friend who warned him about taking money from the Russians and Turks, it would only be a problem if Trump won.

He sold a property in West Palm to a Russian, sight unseen, for 3 times its value a while back. He also gave money to Pam Bondi's (Florida AG) reelection campaign, and shock horror, FL was one of the states that didn't bother to go after him over Trump University. That's why it's significant that the Mueller team let it be known they're actively working with the NY Attorney Generals office and also that two properties in NY were listed as assets believed to be bought with laundered money on the Manafort/Gates inditements. If Trump pardons those, Schneidermann can have them in a NY state court and Trump has no power of pardon. By the same token, if there's dodgy Russian money going thru Trump Tower NYC - and given Manafort bought a gaff there for $10m and paid it in cash, that sounds kinda likely - Pence can't protect Trump from the New York State courts.

6 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Some of the Republicans on sitting committees are absolutely on the gravy train under Trump.  Guys like Lankford aren't even subtle about it.  Impeachment is what ever the House decides it is.  I would argue quite strongly that his reaction to Charlottesville was an impeachable offence.  

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The incompetence of the current Democrat leadership can change, though. Trump cannot.

4 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

On one hand some accuse Trump of acting like Hitler, while also saying he never wanted to be president.  The truth is, what Mueller is investigating goes far beyond post-inauguration Russian ties.  Trump is merely deflecting by going on about "no collusion".  Mueller isn't investigating collusion.

The most telling thing Trump ever said, "fine people" aside, was when he warned Mueller his personal finances were a red line.

5 hours ago, dorlomin said:

I am humbled I cannot speak like this.

Clear and on point. 

Would have made a fkn brilliant president, and all polling indicates he would have won.

In response to Trumps move
Screenshot_20180122-122321.thumb.png.120e60ffea85dd32b008fe602096dcd8.png

Had noticed that the NYT’s comment section devoted to Trump supporters had featured this quite a bit.

2 hours ago, McQuade said:

Would be great if Americas allies started to officially recognise Palestine.

America still has allies?