The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

6 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Trump is having a "retweeting" frenzy from supporters saying he won the debate.So that basically tells us without watching it wasnt the best night for him 

6 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Anyway, I couldn't be fucked staying up for the debate, but it looks like Biden avoided any total disasters, which was Trump's only real hope in these. 

I happened to be awake at 2AM so ended up watching it. Biden came across reasonably well (by his standard) and managed to avoid the verbal gaffes he's become known for.

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I happened to be awake at 2AM so ended up watching it. Biden came across reasonably well (by his standard) and managed to avoid the verbal gaffes he's become known for.

Aye Biden clearly did the best, Trump just sounds checked out at this point. It was quite funny how little they actually disagreed substance wise. Was really just them shouting "you took more money off China!" "No you did!" etc for two hours.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

Aye Biden clearly did the best, Trump just sounds checked out at this point. It was quite funny how little they actually disagreed substance wise. Was really just them shouting "you took more money off China!" "No you did!" etc for two hours.

Yeah, and all Trump had to offer regarding the COVID crisis was to brag about how good a job he had done and how he was now immune from the virus. He also tried to say that the Obama-Biden administration performed a lot worse with swine flu, although that particular disease was nowhere near as deadly as COVID has been.

I don't think Biden is the best debater they could have picked. Someone like Sanders would have absolutely ripped Trump in these debates. However, Biden did well enough to come across better than Trump, which is probably what he and his team were hoping for.

I really hope Biden wins the election. I admit I wasn't a fan of his, but he's gone up in my estimation slightly whereas Trump is an arse and always has been.

Yeah, and all Trump had to offer regarding the COVID crisis was to brag about how good a job he had done and how he was now immune from the virus. He also tried to say that the Obama-Biden administration performed a lot worse with swine flu, although that particular disease was nowhere near as deadly as COVID has been.
I don't think Biden is the best debater they could have picked. Someone like Sanders would have absolutely ripped Trump in these debates. However, Biden did well enough to come across better than Trump, which is probably what he and his team were hoping for.
I really hope Biden wins the election. I admit I wasn't a fan of his, but he's gone up in my estimation slightly whereas Trump is an arse and always has been.
I don't particularly like Biden, and the Democrats are nearly as useless as British Labour, but the meltdown and epic tantrum Trump will throw upon a defeat will be fucking incredible.

19 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
24 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I don't particularly like Biden, and the Democrats are nearly as useless as British Labour, but the meltdown and epic tantrum Trump will throw upon a defeat will be fucking incredible.

You know how it's customary for the losing candidate to concede the election? I don't see him doing that. He'll probably hide in the White House and lock the doors.

Its almost all over. :thumsup2

For four years I have been waiting to write a "GIRUY" to the right wing nutters who started this thread. It has been obvious since the beginning that he was nothing but a total chancer who got lucky. But hey, looking at the first page, most of them are no longer around.

I have sat back and watched the polling, taken stock of what various political and data scientists have been saying. Kept an eyes on psychology papers that have been flagged up. 

Fundamentally Trump is in very deep trouble in terms of the election. Those who had the gut instinct to see him as a charlatan who got lucky once have been proven right. Many, perhaps most seem to think he has some master plan or scam to turn things around. "Never discount him" or "remember 2016". No, his rule breaking persona and "I am rich so I know how to make things work" schtick sort of worked for a minority of American voters in 2016. By a margin of less than half a percent in crucial swing states. He has done nothing in 4 years to cultivate a wider voter base. More over his base has shrunk. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-trump-is-losing-white-suburban-women/

Think about Barrett's supreme court nomination, now a well known anti abortion nut. This is one issue there is clear daylight on between suburban women and the true, deep red state voter. In 2016 he danced around abortion while giving a nod and a wink to the god squadders. This year he made it the biggest no Covid story of the last month. He has been hoodwinked by the right to putting their warm body on the Supreme Court while ignoring how badly it would play with swing voters. Had he held back the nomination it would have put the whole thing on the back burner and given him space to work with (though its too late for that anyway), he has been played. Yet little of the current coverage focusses on this. 

Perhaps he has one of the biggest polling errors in modern history that put Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania into play. But he has to win all three. And his approval polling has been pretty stable for a very long time, this suggests strongly there is not a big swinging group who are varying on his performance. Polsters are actively trying to find ways they under sampled in 2016 so its not like there is likely to be a huge under sample of quite Trumpers. 

Other indicators point to a very high turn out. Polling suggests the anti Trump vote is very motivated, especially compared to how tepid many groups were on Clinton in 2016. 

Its over, its done. Good night white pride. 

Its been a long 4 years. A lot has changed in the world. 

Personally I just gave up on the endless bullshit about how he was going to cancel or postpone elections or what ever the latest hysteria of the week was. Trying to argue with the constant nonsense was a waste of time. 

But now a change of direction, who did we get here. 

Our societies have taken a very wrong turn somewhere along the way. I have gotten bored showing the data showing the drop in support of the social democratic parties around Europe and the world. Fundamentally from the 90s onwards the electoral pact between the socially liberal middle classes and the more socially conservative working class broke down. People who had become economically excluded from the growing wealth of society no longer had a reason to vote for parties pushing for social changes in society. Why vote for more globalisation, immigration, more change in gender or sexual roles and identities when it will not lead to a better life? So on Brexit, on Clinton and across the world those in the less educated sectors of society stopped supporting the political parties they had founded. 

Until we put not only promises of economic improvement at the front of the messaging but until it is delivered then the more fluffy middle class stuff has to go on the back seat. We now live in a world where financial capital has been globalised, its not 1965 where people will pay huge taxes on high earnings when they can move those earnings to a small, low tax state. Trump and Brexit succeeded by crystallising these discontents into imagined foes (I could point to other movements here but that would not lead to more constructive discussion). But those simple messages are not answers to an increasingly complex and chaotic world. Political movements that are great at pointing out problems but whose solutions are rooted in a long gone past have been shown to be utter horseshit. 

To me the way out of  this is going to have to be acknowledging the complexity of the situation and that there are no easy answers or quick fixes. 

On a personal level people should just chill out, unplug, read more. Learn to be still in a quiet room. 

11 days, its almost over. 

Have a lovely weekend! 

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:
2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Aye, kind of hollow victory though. Like watching D.Ross melting down after Independence. 

I take that back. The meltdown and tantrums will be fucking incredible. 

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy

On 22/10/2020 at 18:54, Granny Danger said:

I’m rather see him losing his property ‘empire’, his family left penniless and humiliated and him getting a stint in prison (state preferably but I’d accept Federal).  Then an aneurysm that doesn’t kill him but totally incapacitates him with Melania as his sole career.

I think you're right, she'd be hard work...

4 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

You know how it's customary for the losing candidate to concede the election? I don't see him doing that. He'll probably hide in the White House and lock the doors.

All the Secret Service will need to do is put down a line of Big Macs from the room he’s hidden in to the exit.

15 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Trump is having a "retweeting" frenzy from supporters saying he won the debate.So that basically tells us without watching it wasnt the best night for him 

Likewise whenever he greets his fat wee toddler face about 'Fake News' you know that whatever was said was almost certainly true.

Sorry to interrupt the rightful chucklefest about The Donald's Big Boy Wishlist for Santa, but did Bill Clinton not pledge in one of his campaigns that he'd make sure the US had a man on Mars by the year 2000? I swear I remember this being on the news for a few days in the 90s (I'm thinking second term campaign), but don't see anything about it now.

Evening lads. You may remember me from such political threads as last year.

Anyway, Trump's going to win it again. Genuinely think it's going to be the 269 v 269 scenario for the first time ever. We know what happens then. Anyway, look forward to you all fighting for my refugee status.

2 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

Evening lads. You may remember me from such political threads as last year.

Anyway, Trump's going to win it again. Genuinely think it's going to be the 269 v 269 scenario for the first time ever. We know what happens then. Anyway, look forward to you all fighting for my refugee status.

England will welcome you as the 51st state.

5 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Sorry to interrupt the rightful chucklefest about The Donald's Big Boy Wishlist for Santa, but did Bill Clinton not pledge in one of his campaigns that he'd make sure the US had a man on Mars by the year 2000? I swear I remember this being on the news for a few days in the 90s (I'm thinking second term campaign), but don't see anything about it now.

Then again there is the conspiracy theory that they have already got there and we are just not being told.

All that fake science that suggests it is really tricky to get there.  No water, no trees or grass.  No clouds.  No oxygen!  Photos from Mars that make it look like some barren rocky planet that no one would want to go to.

Never did believe all those photos and other stuff! 

I think they're at it. 😊

It looks like the citizens of the US have largely made up their minds and it would take something monumental to sway Democrats or Independents; nothing with sway Trump supporters.

On that basis Biden continues to play safe and offer a rational case for his election, Trump is far more interested in 10 more days of adulation from his base than changing minds.

The polls in key states are within the margin of error that will guarantee a Biden victory so long as he doesn’t lose any 2016 states and there’s no indication that he will.

I don’t know if Biden will take Florida but if he does it will all be over by 4 November.

Then again there is the conspiracy theory that they have already got there and we are just not being told.
All that fake science that suggests it is really tricky to get there.  No water, no trees or grass.  No clouds.  No oxygen!  Photos from Mars that make it look like some barren rocky planet that no one would want to go to.
I think they're at it. [emoji4]

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I think they're at it. 😊

Patrick Moore leaked out the truth on Sky at Night before he was got at, proved it's full of vegetation and canals.