The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

33 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

No, it wasn’t. Show me the posts about RBG by white female middle class liberals on this forum, in this context. Are there any? So, as I said, with no other nuance, none of that is obvious  and your claiming I knew that is entirely bogus. As a non-citizen resident of the US for the past 7 years (who has been directly affected by Trump jnstituted immigration policy) with a US citizen child going thru public education here, my interest in US politics is certainly more than passing, it’s fairly important to my day-to-day existence. 

Ginsburg criticised Kaepernick for kneeling. She was also no particular friend of tribal sovereignty, although did rule for the Yakama Nation against Cougar Den last year. I’m not particularly eulogizing RBG, but any warm body is infinitely preferable to AN Other Trump stooge as far as civic rights are concerned. 

I accept you were not being casually racist and that being the case, I apologize. A better way of phrasing your post may have been to preface it with ‘can’t move on Twitter for...’. , or similar. However given your assumptions that I ‘waded in anyway’ and am ‘mewling’ you need to take a better look at whatever concept you have of ‘decency’. 

Fair enough, although I struggle to believe that you're unaware of the pop culture deification of RBG over the last few years, which has reached bizarre levels today.

IMG_20200919_184803.thumb.jpg.ec78abd1fa89858e7445ba3482fbaba3.jpgIMG_20200919_184759.thumb.jpg.7868484e57a65492760c144cdf06bc5d.jpgIMG_20200919_184836.thumb.jpg.588a07634fd69302139f3f5e2a5980ec.jpg

11 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Fair enough, although I struggle to believe that you're unaware of the pop culture deification of RBG over the last few years, which has reached bizarre levels today.

IMG_20200919_184803.thumb.jpg.ec78abd1fa89858e7445ba3482fbaba3.jpgIMG_20200919_184759.thumb.jpg.7868484e57a65492760c144cdf06bc5d.jpgIMG_20200919_184836.thumb.jpg.588a07634fd69302139f3f5e2a5980ec.jpg

To a degree, although certainly none of this stuff. The primary reaction amongst my friend group in this country has been simply ‘oh f**k’. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm really old and don't understand wtf's going on in the last couple of pages. Is it too late for a third candidate?

I'm getting on board for Kanye and whatever's going on with his contract. Pissing on the Grammy was tremendous stuff.

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

If only RBG had the opportunity to give up her position to a liberal pick of Obama's instead of allowing the moronic reality TV host to name anyone his handlers tell him to

She said it was time a Native American woman was brought into the Supreme Court. I'll have a wild guess at Trump not doing that.

It is amazing that there are always a number of third-party and independent candidates that run for president, considering nobody would ever know they existed without going out of their way to find out.

Heaven help any of them if they somehow manage to approach Ralph Nader's giddying 2000 performance, when he was famously castigated for costing Al Gore the presidency by taking a massive total of, erm, well under 3% of people who could be arsed to vote.

Hadn't occurred to me before, but I wonder how many plots to murder Democrat-appointed Supreme Court judges are foiled during Republican presidential terms.

I suppose it'll be academic for the foreseeable once The Donald gets his second term.

Fascism has been defeated. Trump’s executive order to ban the Tiktok app has been stopped at the 11th hour.

Bytedance will create a separate company called Tiktok Global and operations will be moved to the US and Oracle have agreed to store US data on their cloud.

In other Tiktok news, kids have started a trend that has people grinding down teeth with a nail file.

6 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It is amazing that there are always a number of third-party and independent candidates that run for president, considering nobody would ever know they existed without going out of their way to find out.

Heaven help any of them if they somehow manage to approach Ralph Nader's giddying 2000 performance, when he was famously castigated for costing Al Gore the presidency by taking a massive total of, erm, well under 3% of people who could be arsed to vote.

GOP not nominating anyone before the election. They say that the senate doesn’t have time. More likely there’s enough GOP rebels to block it?
Link
In all likelihood, they're going to use the prospect of the open seat to shore up support amongst any wavering evangelicals before the election and then try and push it through before January irrespective of the result.

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

In all likelihood, they're going to use the prospect of the open seat to shore up support amongst any wavering evangelicals before the election and then try and push it through before January irrespective of the result.

Yeah, it's an electoral calculation that with a vacant seat any Republicans unsure about Trump or unhappy with the Covid response will put their objections aside and vote for him to ensure the court gets another social conservative.

Of course, the flipside of that is it could have a similar galvanising effect for potential Biden voters and the Democrats could get a bigger boost. Biden has a considerably more lacklustre campaign at a grassroots level, a more apathetic base and could get more voters to his left holding their nose to vote for him than otherwise would have, whereas there is no apathy among Republicans and no stay at home electoral group on their right needing a nudge to turn out.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

I quite like how every election some electoral college votes end up going to randoms. A native American lady got one last time.

This democracy shit really is for the birds, when you think about it.

I wonder what the going rate is for an electoral college vote in Florida. Asking for a mate.

28 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Much talk about increasing the number of justices if Trump tries to force through a nominee following a Biden victory.

They might as well. If one group's desperately trying to bend (or break) the rules, the other(s) would be stupid not to follow suit. It's not like the voters appear to give a shit.

A full-bore race to the bottom. Should be fun to see how far they're all willing to go.

17 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

They might as well. If one group's desperately trying to bend (or break) the rules, the other(s) would be stupid not to follow suit. It's not like the voters appear to give a shit.

A full-bore race to the bottom. Should be fun to see how far they're all willing to go.

Strictly speaking, there isn't a rule for how many justices of the Supreme Court there are. "The Supreme Court consists of the Chief Justice of the United States and such number of Associate Justices as may be fixed by Congress"

1 minute ago, Baxter Parp said:

Strictly speaking, there isn't a rule for how many justices of the Supreme Court there are. "The Supreme Court consists of the Chief Justice of the United States and such number of Associate Justices as may be fixed by Congress"

Aye, I know - it's just tradition/accepted thinking/the way things are done.

It'll be interesting to see how far everyone's willing to push the idea that, if it isn't explicitly written down in law with no wiggle room, it's fair game to be ignored.