The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

Congress still hasn't passed any more assistance for unemployed Americans despite the fact that the pandemic is booming there. The Princeton study that branded the USA an oligarchy has never looked more accurate. A trillion dollar corporate bail out was basically nodded through the Dem control house but it's impossible to an increase in benefits. 

9 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

...the great pandemic” of 1917 was a “terrible thing” that “probably ended the Second World War, all the soldiers were sick”🤣

Let’s see anyone try to defend that.  Staggering ignorance.

edit: turns out Dinesh D’Souza tried.  He misspoke. He meant to say World War 1.  Okay, but how does that explain the rest of that gibberish?    Of course, Biden is just as bad. 

Edited by Savage Henry

10 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Kamala has unfollowed the Biden campaign on Twitter for anyone trying to divine signals over the VP pick

Turns out that was a gateway pundit “exclusive” and like almost all of their stories, it turned out to be cobblers.  

...the great pandemic” of 1917 was a “terrible thing” that “probably ended the Second World War, all the soldiers were sick”🤣
Let’s see anyone try to defend that.  Staggering ignorance.
edit: turns out Dinesh D’Souza tried.  He misspoke. He meant to say World War 1.  Okay, but how does that explain the rest of that gibberish?    Of course, Biden is just as bad. 
He actually said that? I thought Arabdownunder was taking the piss. Holy shite [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

44 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

He actually said that? I thought Arabdownunder was taking the piss. Holy shite emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

I was watching it live at the time but had to change channel at that point to deal with the mounting cringe. 

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Here's the video if anyone doesn't believe it. 

It's a long running joke with the Olympics with people musing that they should just have a separate competition for all the PED users where they're all drugged up to the gills and just see how fast a juiced up athlete can run, can throw, can swim, etc whilst the clean athletes compete with each other fairly.

I think they should do the opposite for Trump and Biden. No medication, coaching or video-prompter whatsoever prior to their debates and just see what level of utter drivel will be spouted by two clearly dementia riddled old men. 

Thought it was all the WW1 troops heading home after the armistice that turned it into a global pandemic, rather than it ending the war. Bit like the cruise ships this time around.

Edited by welshbairn

It's a long running joke with the Olympics with people musing that they should just have a separate competition for all the PED users where they're all drugged up to the gills and just see how fast a juiced up athlete can run, can throw, can swim, etc whilst the clean athletes compete with each other fairly.
I think they should do the opposite for Trump and Biden. No medication, coaching or video-prompter whatsoever prior to their debates and just see what level of utter drivel will be spouted by two clearly dementia riddled old men. 

Chapo has a good framing of this election as being between two ways of ageing and mental decline: Biden’s where you accept it and die relatively gracefully and Trump’s where you rage against the dying of the light

On 08/08/2020 at 12:09, bendan said:

Well the media and a large proportion of the population (both in the US and here) seem to think that valuation changes based on share price movements represent real changes in wealth, so it's probably a vote winner in the current environment.

Share price movements represent real changes in the wealth of people that own those shares.

I can't imagine why you'd think they don't. 

35 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Share price movements represent real changes in the wealth of people that own those shares.

I can't imagine why you'd think they don't. 

Because the Amazon share price, for example, doesn't reflect the price you'd get if you suddenly decided to sell 54 million shares, and is therefore a poor basis on which to tax someone.

Do you think Jeff Bezos is $300 million dollars worse off today than he was yesterday, given the current price being down about $6? 

2 minutes ago, bendan said:

Because the Amazon share price, for example, doesn't reflect the price you'd get if you suddenly decided to sell 54 million shares, and is therefore a poor basis on which to tax someone.

Do you think Jeff Bezos is $300 million dollars worse off today than he was yesterday, given the current price being down about $6? 

On paper yes he is. 

Wealth only exists as a notional theoretical sum whatever asset it is held in. The value of those shares is the price each times the number. He maybe wouldn't be able to realise all of that value if he tried to sell them at once, but that just means he won't sell them all at once. 

As to whether a wealth tax is a good idea i was entirely persuaded by pikketty's capital that it certainly is. In practice i agree that valuation (and identification) of assets would be an issue but listed securities would be the easiest item after cash.  

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

On paper yes he is. 

Wealth only exists as a notional theoretical sum whatever asset it is held in. The value of those shares is the price each times the number. He maybe wouldn't be able to realise all of that value if he tried to sell them at once, but that just means he won't sell them all at once. 

As to whether a wealth tax is a good idea i was entirely persuaded by pikketty's capital that it certainly is. In practice i agree that valuation (and identification) of assets would be an issue but listed securities would be the easiest item after cash.  

If they did tax wealth in that way, they would have to use average share prices across a considerable period of time or it would be far too easy to manipulate (because short term prices changes generally don't reflect true changes in value).