The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

12 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Seems a bit of a mess, reading the Wikipedia page on it. Presumably it's died for now because nobody else appears to have come out to say that he assaulted them too. Not saying it didn't happen, but it seems a bit odd that he'd decide to force himself on a single intern once, then never do it again.

Maybe Trump's team have found some other accusers and are keeping them fresh in a vault somewhere for nearer the election. It would be stunning if Trump managed to gain some headway by accusing his rival of grabbing women by the pussy.

I think that because she had changed her story so many times Trump's people realised it wasn't going to gain traction.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Tbh after Schwarzenegger, Trump, Kavanaugh all brushed off very credible sexual harassment accusations/confessions I think the American establishment has given up on thinking this is a big issue.

They only just beat Roy Moore and I bet whenever some Epstein stuff comes out it won't end up that damaging to people because the girls were teenagers. I reckon they'd only draw the line at pre-puberty paedophilia. For the avoidance of doubt this isn't a defense of that point of view.

Schwarzenegger, I had forgotten about and how he got voted in as California's Republican governor.

That's the American voting public in a nutshell.

Bernie the fucking man, as ever. Easy to forget he'd never have been allowed to do any of this stuff if he'd somehow ended up in the White House. Clearly the answer is a short-term benign dictatorship.

I'm joking, of course. Or am I? I'm not even sure anymore.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Tbh after Schwarzenegger, Trump, Kavanaugh all brushed off very credible sexual harassment accusations/confessions I think the American establishment has given up on thinking this is a big issue.

They only just beat Roy Moore and I bet whenever some Epstein stuff comes out it won't end up that damaging to people because the girls were teenagers. I reckon they'd only draw the line at pre-puberty paedophilia. For the avoidance of doubt this isn't a defense of that point of view.

I think the old "she was asking for it" attitude is still a bit more popular in the States than here, although probably not by much.

Still find it amusing that the Republicans conjured up such mock outrage because Clinton fucked an adult woman and didn't admit it when confronted in case his wife found out. In other words, exactly what (seemingly) the majority of human beings do at some point during the course of their life.

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Bill Clinton has been accussed of multiple sexual assualts including rape. 

He may well have done a lot more on top of that, but none of that was why the Republicans had him impeached.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

I see Bernie has brought in a bill to tax Jeff Bezos 43 billion dollars!

It's obviously just agitprop to get folk talking but it doesn't really make any sense to base taxation on share price movements. 

Well the media and a large proportion of the population (both in the US and here) seem to think that valuation changes based on share price movements represent real changes in wealth, so it's probably a vote winner in the current environment.

I think the old "she was asking for it" attitude is still a bit more popular in the States than here, although probably not by much.
Still find it amusing that the Republicans conjured up such mock outrage because Clinton fucked an adult woman and didn't admit it when confronted in case his wife found out. In other words, exactly what (seemingly) the majority of human beings do at some point during the course of their life.

The vast majority of men who vote for Trump probably shouldn't be left alone with women. A collection of racist misanthropes, nonces and incels who are probably still hoping the premise of The Handmaid's Tale becomes Republican policy. Absolute joke of a country.

46 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

The vast majority of men who vote for Trump probably shouldn't be left alone with women. A collection of racist misanthropes, nonces and incels who are probably still hoping the premise of The Handmaid's Tale becomes Republican policy. Absolute joke of a country.

Half of that could be said about this glorious website's users TBF.

Thankfully we're much more genial than they are  :P

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Bill Clinton has been accussed of multiple sexual assualts including rape. 

That aside the Clintons were beyond the pale when it came to lining their pockets.

There was The Whitewater real estate scandal, and then came Travelgate where as soon as he took office he fired the seven employees in the White House Travel office and replaced them with a Little Rock Arkansa Travel agent, his excuse was that there had been financial misdeeds, when asked he couldn't answer why he couldn't have put the travel office out to tender.

36 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

His plan to sort out delivery problems: a hiring freeze, cutting overtime, and voluntary retirements.

DeJoy announced there would be a hiring freeze and a request for voluntary early retirements. The USPS will also configure itself into three “operating units” of retail and delivery, logistics and processing, and commerce and business solutions and will cut back from seven regions to four.

The reshuffling comes as Democrats clamor for an investigation into USPS amid concerns over the agency’s ability to handle what is expected to be a flood of mail-in ballots this year. Lawmakers have warned that changes DeJoy has made, including reducing overtime and adjusting delivery policies, may leave the agency even more unprepared. 

“We believe these changes, made during the middle of a once-in-a-century pandemic, now threaten the timely delivery of mail — including medicines for seniors, paychecks for workers, and absentee ballots for voters — that is essential to millions of Americans. While it is true that the Postal Service has and continues to face financial challenges, enacting these policies as cost-cutting or efficiency measures as the COVID-19 public health emergency continues is counterproductive and unacceptable,” Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said in a letter to DeJoy on Thursday.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/511138-new-postmaster-general-overhauls-usps-leadership-amid-probe-into-mail

Edited by welshbairn

Rather interestingly (or not), I was bored earlier and did some number crunching in preparation for a project I intend to do with my classes when I get back.

The US has 538 electoral college votes, of which 270 are needed for a majority. Those 270 votes come from the 11 most populous states. In these states, 50%+1 will give all those electoral college votes to their preferred candidate.

In theory, the lowest number of votes required for an individual to become president is... 62,595,812, out of an electorate of 230,931,921. That's a whopping 27.2% of the total votes across the USA.

Of course, these numbers will have changed slightly as I'm basing it on 2016's figures, but still. 27% of folk!

28 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Of course, these numbers will have changed slightly as I'm basing it on 2016's figures, but still. 27% of folk!

Curiously almost exactly what Labour got in 1983. They lost of course. In 2019 they got 32% but with 6 fewer seats than in 1983.

Edited by welshbairn

Rather interestingly (or not), I was bored earlier and did some number crunching in preparation for a project I intend to do with my classes when I get back.
The US has 538 electoral college votes, of which 270 are needed for a majority. Those 270 votes come from the 11 most populous states. In these states, 50%+1 will give all those electoral college votes to their preferred candidate.
In theory, the lowest number of votes required for an individual to become president is... 62,595,812, out of an electorate of 230,931,921. That's a whopping 27.2% of the total votes across the USA.

You can push that further

Theoretically there could be a third candidate and those seats could split 34/33/44 meaning that you’d only need about 18%

9 hours ago, Detournement said:

I see Bernie has brought in a bill to tax Jeff Bezos 43 billion dollars!

It's obviously just agitprop to get folk talking but it doesn't really make any sense to base taxation on share price movements. 

Glad someone gets it.  This video explains it great:

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

Is he f**k going to cut out the middlemen, the middlemen have his balls in a vice.

Indeed.  The right wing conspiracy fruit loops are doing a contortionist act trying to argue that what Trump is doing somehow makes him one of the people.  He couldn’t have more disregard for the general public 

Edited by Savage Henry