The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

18 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
22 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:
The US has a welfare system and unemployment insurance, they operate a two tier tax system where you pay a state and a federal tax, the federal goverment pays a third of the welfare across the board to assist each individual state in welfare payments.
Let me clear another misnomer, it is quoted so many times that if you have a serious accident and have no insurance then you die, that is not the case, the city will pick up the bill to get you back to a healthy condition, what they will not pay for is rehab or any further treatment.
Americans also have a more rigorous tax system than ours, US citizens working overseas still pay full American taxes unless they are permanently based in any country but even then they still have to fill out tax forms.
Consider many UK citizens living in Spain for example who do not pay UK tax and in many cases not even Spanish tax.

I think you're being a bit generous there - there are currently millions of Americans who have little by way of a financial or social care safety net and it's fanciful to suggest that will alter in the face of a pandemic. Take a read at 'Deep South' by Paul Theroux and you'll get an idea of the numbers involved.

Thats just not true, America operates a welfare system for the benefit of all, and I never suggested any such thing regarding an epidemic, instead of garnering what is probably an authors politically biased opinion you should as my wife and I  have done live, work and travel in the US or any country before you make untrue statements.

Yes there are poor people in the US just as there is in Scotland and all other western countries but as in these countries financial and social help is freely available.

Any fool can walk through the 'projects; and find poverty and drug misuse and write about it to capitalise financially.

I remember when I worked in South Africa the blacks telling me that when they were children in the Townships and how the TV crews would throw sweets onto rubbish heaps to get the reaction of children scrambling for them but making out the kids were starving and searching for food.

There is one area which I did find so wrong in California and that was when Ronald Reagan as Governor threw so many mentally ill patients out on the street through ignorance, his mandate was that, " If they can walk and talk, I ain't going to feed them', which resulted in hospital canteens such as San Fran general being full of these poor people looking for help.

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

you should as my wife and I  have done live, work and travel in the US or any country before you make untrue statements.

Maybe you should give not having a job in the USA a go before going all "what would you know, I've been there man."

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Maybe you should give not having a job in the USA a go before going all "what would you know, I've been there man."

Also the Trump admin is scheduled to kick a load of folks off food stamps in a couple of weeks - https://www.fastcompany.com/90439677/snap-benefit-cuts-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-trump-administrations-changes

4 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

We’re in the midst of a global pandemic with the world in utter chaos, and our boy Donny’s main focus is still getting one up on Obama:

IMG_2500.jpg

At least he’s consistent in one area. Some boy.

Is it common knowledge in the UK that Barry set up a pandemic response team post-Ebola crisis, and then John Bolton dissolved it in 2018?

5 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:
Thats just not true, America operates a welfare system for the benefit of all, and I never suggested any such thing regarding an epidemic, instead of garnering what is probably an authors politically biased opinion you should as my wife and I  have done live, work and travel in the US or any country before you make untrue statements.
Yes there are poor people in the US just as there is in Scotland and all other western countries but as in these countries financial and social help is freely available.
Any fool can walk through the 'projects; and find poverty and drug misuse and write about it to capitalise financially.
I remember when I worked in South Africa the blacks telling me that when they were children in the Townships and how the TV crews would throw sweets onto rubbish heaps to get the reaction of children scrambling for them but making out the kids were starving and searching for food.
There is one area which I did find so wrong in California and that was when Ronald Reagan as Governor threw so many mentally ill patients out on the street through ignorance, his mandate was that, " If they can walk and talk, I ain't going to feed them', which resulted in hospital canteens such as San Fran general being full of these poor people looking for help.

What's exacerbating things now is Trump won't call a state of emergency, which would allow Medicaid to be used in response to Covid-19, so social help isn't available in response to this specific crisis - https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-03-13/trump-administration-blocks-states-use-medicaid-respond-coronavirus-crisis

The last time he called a state of emergency was....(checks notes)....oh yeah, a gaggle of Hondurans tramping their way thru Mexico.

EDIT - dickhead expected to declare national state of emergency in presser at 3pm Eastern. 

Edited by carpetmonster

8 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Joe Biden has a log in.

21 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think it's more informative in this case to comment on experience rather than having a second opinion by quoting a book or a newspaper.

6 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

I think it's more informative in this case to comment on experience rather than having a second opinion by quoting a book or a newspaper.

Your experiences of going on holiday with your wife and working for a bit don't necessarily give you insight into ghetto life, nor the Black experience of life under South African apartheid.

17 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

With what looks like rising chaos in the US, allied to Wall St flatlining, could Trump's political survival become a massive side-effect of Coronavirus ?

Who knows, you'd think he'd be tanking in the polls just now, but looks like the same old..

image.png.c9cb1fb7c9dc6adeec3fd3ee9bee2717.png

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-concerned-are-americans-about-coronavirus-so-far/

20 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Your experiences of going on holiday with your wife and working for a bit don't necessarily give you insight into ghetto life, nor the Black experience of life under South African apartheid.

So you're also well travelled and have first hand experience of the Townships during apartheid and the 'Projects' in the US deep south.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Who knows, you'd think he'd be tanking in the polls just now, but looks like the same old..

image.png.c9cb1fb7c9dc6adeec3fd3ee9bee2717.png

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-concerned-are-americans-about-coronavirus-so-far/

Up until he said 'I don't take responsibility for anything' at the presser the other day 'I could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and I wouldn't lose any voters' is the only time Trump has attempted (and managed, to his credit) self-reflection. It's a cult.