The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

What do we think would be the low-end offence for a roughly-split Senate to kick a president out of office?

Asking a foreign government to help him win an election clearly doesn't come close. I'm guessing the Republicans wouldn't care if he was proven to be a massive tax fraud either ("this is between the president and the IRS").

Whatever it is, we would have gone miles past it already if it has been a Democrat.

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

What do we think would be the low-end offence for a roughly-split Senate to kick a president out of office?

Asking a foreign government to help him win an election clearly doesn't come close. I'm guessing the Republicans wouldn't care if he was proven to be a massive tax fraud either ("this is between the president and the IRS").

Pretty sure if he said "Jesus hates guns" you'd no see his arse being launched for dust.

29 minutes ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Also “women should be able to chose their own reproductive rights”. Lock ‘n’ load....

He used to be pro-choice, but looking for evidence I found this from 2011, which says little about it but proves he's been consistent about China and dodgy economics about how comparative advantage works for a long time. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Everyone knows that Trump is a useless, corrupt fuckwit. 

Impeachment won't make the slightest difference to his support, and as with Clinton, I wouldn't be surprised if he became more popular because of this.

17 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The traditional way of collaring someone is,  though, to follow the money...... corruption, fraud, tax evasion.

Whatever the Republicans decide to do over impeachment, there is not much they can say to defend, or gloss over tax evasion.

And if Trump is shown as a tax fraudster, that's a straightforward criminal act.  And swiftly separates him from his support base.  If they had

done a fraction of that, they'd be in jail.  Because unlike him, they don't have access to smart, expensive lawyers.. etc.

Edited by beefybake

He's already had to pay a $2 million fine for charity fraud in a civil case, think as president he's pretty well immune from any criminal charges, and he'd likely pardon himself from anything before he leaves office.

32 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Do you reckon? Americans hate tax, republicans even more, and MAGA ghouls even more. I think they'd defend his tax affairs to the hilt.

Now, it's not really about impeachment, it's about whether he does a second term. 

Tax fraud is how Al Capone finally got cornered.    Trump really is little different.  Why do you think he's so determined that his tax information be kept secret.

4 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Now, it's not really about impeachment, it's about whether he does a second term. 

Tax fraud is how Al Capone finally got cornered.    Trump really is little different.  Why do you think he's so determined that his tax information be kept secret.

I don't think they are believing he will be impreached by the poliicians but they will be hoping  if they can get him to appear that he will do so much damage to himself that he will become un-electable

23 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I don't think they are believing he will be impreached by the poliicians but they will be hoping  if they can get him to appear that he will do so much damage to himself that he will become un-electable

The Democrats don't believe for a second that Republican Congressmen and women will do anything other than keep Trump in office; what they want is to be able to campaign hard from here on in that these self-same Republicans place the saving of a crooked President above the law and the national interest of the USA.  This will make no difference to the MAGA mob but it will work in urban areas and especially amongst women voters who are abandoning Trump in their droves. 

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

Hence now the talk of 'Hoyer suggesting to Pelosi' that the articles should not be moved forward to the Senate until certain unmet stipulations have been satisfied - subpoenaed documents that were refused etc. McConnell was trying to be cute when he said 'I will not be an impartial juror' - the literal wording of the oath Senators must swear before going in to an impeachment trial is that they must be impartial jurors. There's nothing that demands the Articles of Impeachment must be moved forward to the Senate for trial, it's entrusted entirely to the Speaker of the House's own judgement, and she can control the narrative as she sees fit. 

ETA - also seems that she may be looking for leverage into how the trial is conducted - https://www.businessinsider.com/pelosi-considers-delaying-trump-trial-to-force-gop-concessions-2019-12?utm

Edited by carpetmonster

Still pretty certain his testimony could consist of playing the bongos on his buttcheeks and folk would still vote for him because he got it right up those Libtards

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Impeachment is the People's Vote of the USA.

Spend massive amounts of energy on a project that is guaranteed to lose and will actually improve Trump's support with his 2016 voters and give him plenty of material for the 2020 campaign.

Except that it was the Momentum side of the Democratic Party that pushed for it, the centrists like Pelosi resisted it for as long as they could.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Except that it was the Momentum side of the Democratic Party that pushed for it, the centrists like Pelosi resisted it for as long as they could.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/09/24/seven-freshman-democrats-these-allegations-are-threat-all-we-have-sworn-protect/

This push for impeachment was kick started by a CIA "whistleblower" and a bunch of recently elected Democrats who happen to be former intelligence agents (nothing strange about that at all).

It was more the old school African American congressmen who were pushing for early impeachment. It's still a terrible idea.