The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

48 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I'm on the Q-Anon FB group. Going on right now to insist Julian Assange's full beard is a sign he's the White Rabbit we're all supposed to be following.

See also: www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/bbxvfg/wikileaks_cofounder_julian_assange_arrested_in/

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Right. In these troubled times in which we live, ideas like that are far too nuanced for the reactionary news responses.

I do find it hard to muster much sympathy for him though, hero as he is to the ZeroHedge/Infowars/RT crowd.

That's quite a broad spectrum you're lumping together there. An alternative financial blog, a loony right-wing conspiracy peddling site and a fairly centrist foreign news outlet. I'm pretty sure a Venn diagram would show the only overlap is their opposition to US imperialism, which of course is what this is all about. 

25 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Zetterlund doing his Putin apologist act as ever.

RT centrist? Aye right!

What a bizarre response to my post. RT doesn't lean left or right in its coverage, as you would know if you ever watched it. Any favourable coverage it might give various political figures is almost exclusively as a result of his or her attitude to western warmongering and their position on relations with Russia.

What a bizarre response to my post. RT doesn't lean left or right in its coverage, as you would know if you ever watched it. Any favourable coverage it might give various political figures is almost exclusively as a result of his or her attitude to western warmongering and their position on relations with Russia.
RT is a Putinist mouthpiece - nothing more, nothing less.

To describe it as centrist is the real bizarre post.

RT is a Putinist mouthpiece - nothing more, nothing less.

To describe it as centrist is the real bizarre post.

Yup. It was launched with the expressed purpose of being the Kremlin’s media outlet. It quite literally is a propaganda medium.

Every state-backed news outlet, from any state, broadcast domestically or internationally, is a propaganda medium to some extent. Surely nobody still questions this.

Of course RT has propaganda value, but that doesn't make it automatically wrong. It was set up to counter the narrative monopoly enjoyed by western countries which played a huge part in hoodwinking the public into a state of apathy around war and foreign meddling. This has been a function of the major news media for a hundred years. RT operates under the same rules as everyone else in the countries it's broadcast and regularly wins awards for its output. If it was some cartoonish North Korean style news service pumping out lies then nobody would watch it and it wouldn't be allowed to operate. 

17 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Everyone on the Q page is convinced he's being extradited for a presidential pardon/ welcome before he testifies against Hillary. Some bois.

At least RT doesn't even try to hide the fact that it's state backed. Unlike the BBC who still tries to make out that they are a totally independent media group while scaring old people with letters to cough up tax money.

Everyone on the Q page is convinced he's being extradited for a presidential pardon/ welcome before he testifies against Hillary. Some bois.

That page is howling at the moon level insanity. I can’t believe I had never read it before! Glorious stuff.

On 11/04/2019 at 16:35, Detournement said:

I agree with that but it's completely irrelevant to analysing the evidence that was presented against JA.

If he had the chance of a public trial with a jury in Sweden I think he would have taken it but the plan was clearly to convict him in a secret trial then whisk him off to the USA.

Again it's worth remembering that Sweden isn't the progressive paradise that it is stereotyped as and they have been complicit in US illegal rendition and torture in the recent past

https://www.hrw.org/news/2006/11/09/sweden-violated-torture-ban-cia-rendition

There's no such thing as jury trials in Sweden - it's a civil law country with an inquisitorial system. The courts direct the investigation with facts decided by judges. It's a different concept to the adversarial system here where a jury decides who makes the best case out of defence and prosecution.

Just seen Hillary Clinto speaking about Assange.  She’s become a Gerry Anderson puppet.

At the risk of being accused of misogyny by Banana, for the sake of the Democrats she needs to slip quietly into the sunset.

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

There's no such thing as jury trials in Sweden - it's a civil law country with an inquisitorial system. The courts direct the investigation with facts decided by judges. It's a different concept to the adversarial system here where a jury decides who makes the best case out of defence and prosecution.

That sounds shite.

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

That sounds shite.

You could argue it's a better system than who can afford the best lawyers. Most countries with civil systems do this: France, Germany etc.