The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

A guy with that size of an ego is never going to top himself. 

Aye because the USA has a problem with extra judicial killing. Look at the Ferguson activists.

If he does go to a regular trial it will be the media event of the century. He's more likely to end up in Gitmo.

This could make it interesting. I always thought it weird that he'd run to Britain to avoid the sex charges where extradition to the US is much easier and more likely than it is from Sweden.

image.thumb.png.063d5b8588546b18afc6e72e3973d77f.png

I doubt the US want to do more than put the shits up Assange with their leaked Grand Jury document. It would be nigh on impossible to prove he did any more than the New York Times and Washington Post have on numerous occasions. And he has a friend in the Whitehouse. 

26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This could make it interesting. I always thought it weird that he'd run to Britain to avoid the sex charges where extradition to the US is much easier and more likely than it is from Sweden.

image.thumb.png.063d5b8588546b18afc6e72e3973d77f.png

He didn't run to the UK. He was interviewed in Sweden and allowed to leave with no charges. He then came to the UK. Then a different Swedish prosecuter reopened the investigation.

I doubt the US want to do more than put the shits up Assange with their leaked Grand Jury document. It would be nigh on impossible to prove he did any more than the New York Times and Washington Post have on numerous occasions. And he has a friend in the Whitehouse. 
I would bet he'll spend the rest of his life in jail tbh. It seems like a really proveable with data etc and a lot of things he can be charged with.

Trump could try to do something but I don't think he'd really gain anything.

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

I would bet he'll spend the rest of his life in jail tbh. It seems like a really proveable with data etc and a lot of things he can be charged with.

Trump could try to do something but I don't think he'd really gain anything.

He didn't hack or steal any data afaik, he was given it and published it, the same as other publishers do all the time. The Guardian and NYT published the same data. Daniel Ellsberg actually stole the Pentagon Papers and got them published and got away with it.

He didn't hack or steal any data afaik, he was given it and published it, the same as other publishers do all the time. The Guardian and NYT published the same data. Daniel Ellsberg actually stole the Pentagon Papers and got them published and got away with it.
We don't know the crimes he's been accused of yet but indefinite detention without a trial is something the federal government use as a tool and I think they'll have plenty of lines of inquiry.

The attitudes and responses towards whistleblowers in the US is pretty severe (and in different administrations) and this is someone who has an accusation against them of even deliberately influencing a US election at the behest of a foreign power. I could see it being a complex process but it just seems impossible to me that their justice system would let him go so easily, even if that last part isn't true.

It'll be interesting to see if any other political figures are worried. Farage had a couple of meetings around the time of the email dump and was also meeting Trump and his campaign. I don't think they'll go that route but it can be something that happens, even if it's in a few years.

Why do Assange apologists think it was okay to trash the reputation of the two women who made the sexual assault and rape allegations?

Or ignored his passing of top secret US embassy cables to the dictator of Belarus, which may have landed democracy activists in prison?

Assange is no friend of the left and those on the left who continue to apologise for him need to take a good hard look at themselves.

The charges relate to helping Manning find a password to download the data without it being traced back to him, or her as she is now.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edva/pr/wikileaks-founder-charged-computer-hacking-conspiracy

Edited by welshbairn

Just a bit more out with the sealed indictments being releases. He's actually being accessed of himself working to hack a password which he fed to Manning to use.

7 minutes ago, harry94 said:
57 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Just a bit more out with the sealed indictments being releases. He's actually being accessed of himself working to hack a password which he fed to Manning to use.

Sounds like he told Manning how to find a password to use to protect his/her identity rather than hacking the system himself.

The indictment alleges that in March 2010, Assange engaged in a conspiracy with Chelsea Manning, a former intelligence analyst in the U.S. Army, to assist Manning in cracking a password stored on U.S. Department of Defense computers connected to the Secret Internet Protocol Network (SIPRNet), a U.S. government network used for classified documents and communications. Manning, who had access to the computers in connection with her duties as an intelligence analyst, was using the computers to download classified records to transmit to WikiLeaks. Cracking the password would have allowed Manning to log on to the computers under a username that did not belong to her. Such a deceptive measure would have made it more difficult for investigators to determine the source of the illegal disclosures.

Edited by welshbairn

Sounds like he told Manning how to find a password to use to protect his/her identity rather than hacking the system himself.
He also coded something for her to use to view some documents that she couldn't deencrypt and also the point you've made. Either way, it seems they are trying that angle.

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

So espionage then?

Unless they're holding other charges back it's just conspiracy to commit computer intrusion which carries a maximum penalty of 5 years.

And this is the entire point of this for Trump. He has a chance to go after the press that he sees as his enemy and he's taking it. This has f**k all to do with any rape allegations and Assange's attitude towards said allegations. It's an attack on the press.