The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The Democrats need to find someone soon to challenge Trump.  And it needs to be someone inspirational.

I think it will be one out of Gillibrand, Harris or Klobuchar.  Booker will run too but can see the democrats picking the right female candidate this time given the gains they have made amongst women in the mid terms.

I think it will be one out of Gillibrand, Harris or Klobuchar.  Booker will run too but can see the democrats picking the right female candidate this time given the gains they have made amongst women in the mid terms.
Assuming women voters would be more influenced by a candidate's gender than by their policies is straight out of Hillary's 2016 playbook.

Pretty good night for Lord Emperor Trump all things considered :thumsup2 Losses where losses were inevitable, holds and gains elsewhere.

Will be fascinating to see how the Democrats play this now - too combative and Trump can play victim. Too soft, and Trump will run them over when necessary, or come out looking like a Reasonable Guy (which doesn't help the Dems) for making concessions on things that he likely didn't particularly want in the first place.

The circus is about to ramp up a notch.

3 hours ago, SramTon said:

Congressmen within the House of Representatives are elected on two-year terms, whereas Senators are elected for six years.

The Senate elections are staggered so that they still happen every two years, but with only one-third of the seats up for re-election each time.  

Thanks for this. Another question if I may? Each state seems to have two Senators. But from what I saw the coverage kept focusing on just one of them. For example I heard lots of talk about Cruz but no mention of the other Senator for Texas. When does he have to stand for election? Or does Cruz decide, like a "running mate"? 

16 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:
38 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Assuming women voters would be more influenced by a candidate's gender than by their policies is straight out of Hillary's 2016 playbook.

Not saying it's all that should be taken into account, just that there will be some that see the gains in the female vote and pin that on the increased number of female candidates this year.

IMO, the democrats best options for their 2020 candidate are all female anyway.

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I don't think 

Thank you for your opinion. 

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/6/18052374/florida-amendment-4-felon-voting-rights-results

Black people, who are disproportionately arrested and incarcerated, will benefit the most. In 2016, more than 418,000 black people out of a black voting-age population of more than 2.3 million, or 17.9 percent of potential black voters in Florida, had finished sentences but couldn’t vote due to a felony record, according to the Sentencing Project. (Again, this includes some people convicted of murders and felony sex offenses.)

Over a million new voters, a large portion of whom will be black or from lower income groups will be voting in 2020. 

But according to you this will have no impact on such a tight state because reasons. 

Edited by dorlomin

Thanks for this. Another question if I may? Each state seems to have two Senators. But from what I saw the coverage kept focusing on just one of them. For example I heard lots of talk about Cruz but no mention of the other Senator for Texas. When does he have to stand for election? Or does Cruz decide, like a "running mate"? 

Both elected at different times, Cruz is a presidential mid term candidate the other will be elected at the same time as the presidential elections.

Scott Walker lost in Wisconsin. Kris Kobach lost in Kansas.  

Democrats seemed to have gotten solid results in the mid west. Quick take on this so far, the polarisation is deepening but that line is about 46/54 towards the democrats. This will see the Republicans do well in small rural states and the Democrats in more urbanised states. The Democrats should win most presidential races in those circumstances and tend to dominate the House. Each race will have its own features but simply appealing to the base and polarising the debate does not seem to be a winning strategy for the Republicans anymore and demographics are strongly running against them. 

Edited by dorlomin

15 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Thank you for your opinion. 

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/6/18052374/florida-amendment-4-felon-voting-rights-results

Over a million new voters, a large portion of whom will be black or from lower income groups will be voting in 2020. 

But according to you this will have no impact on such a tight state because reasons. 

I checked and Florida prisons are 41% white and 46% black. There's probably more white felons outside prison who would benefit from this though. 

What do you think the turnout will be in this group? 20% if you are lucky.

19 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Scott Walker lost in Wisconsin. Kris Kobach lost in Kansas.  

Democrats seemed to have gotten solid results in the mid west. Quick take on this so far, the polarisation is deepening but that line is about 46/54 towards the democrats. This will see the Republicans do well in small rural states and the Democrats in more urbanised states. The Democrats should win most presidential races in those circumstances and tend to dominate the House. Each race will have its own features but simply appealing to the base and polarising the debate does not seem to be a winning strategy for the Republicans anymore and demographics are strongly running against them. 

It is and has been in the Democrats interest to alter the demographics of the country, you say?

That's just conspiracy theory talk right there!:rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I checked and Florida prisons are 41% white and 46% black. There's probably more white felons outside prison who would benefit from this though. 

What do you think the turnout will be in this group? 20% if you are lucky.

The Florida races were both won by a less than 1% margin.

On demographics.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/326995-census-more-americans-have-college-degrees-than-ever-before

The number o f US  people with collage degrees is steadily increasing and as these groups move through the demography getting older this increases the net % of those will collage degrees. Having a collage degree is now a strong indicator of voting liberal. 

FT_16.06.23_censusMajorityMinority_trend

Since 2013 non Hispanic white children have been the minority of births. 

More Mexicans Leaving Than Coming to the U.S.Net Loss of 140,000 from 2009 to 2014; Family Reunification Top Reason for Return

PH_2015-09-28_immigration-through-2065_F

Asians are likely to become the biggest source of immigration to the US but the near term trend on births, immigration (and EMIGRATION) plus other population trends like ageing show 

FT_16.01.25_NextAmerica_1965_20651.png

The long term decline of the US was a white, rural country with only high school attainment. 

The Republicans have turned on presidency into an absolute dumpster fire alienating generally socially conservative Hispanics and economically more conservative Asians who they will need to stem the time of an increasingly  educated and urbanised white population. This presidency has been an electoral scorched earth that will not even get a second act to justify the damage. 

Edited by dorlomin

18 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

On demographics.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/326995-census-more-americans-have-college-degrees-than-ever-before

The number o f US  people with collage degrees is steadily increasing and as these groups move through the demography getting older this increases the net % of those will collage degrees. Having a collage degree is now a strong indicator of voting liberal. 

Increasing the number of kids being indoctrinated via schooling increases the vote towards 'liberals' you say?

Well I never,  another conspiracy theory dashed :rolleyes: