The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

3 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

I'd be more on board with these protests if they were directed at a state visit from the US generally and not just at the current president who happens to be a very unpleasant person.

The foreign policy of the USA and the west is inherently racist. Black & brown people are literally expendable in the pursuit of hegemony and profit. Madeleine Albright and her book have been pimped around the media recently, despite her saying the death of half a million Iraqi kids was worth it. Who on earth could think that's reasonable? The media is incredibly powerful when it comes to deciding who is and isn't acceptable.

I'm personally more triggered by the invasion & destruction of entire countries and the drone bombing of wedding parties than by the behaviour of a TV celebrity whose election into office is only a symptom of a seriously fucked up society and political system. Trump is awful but temporary, and the media circus around him is 90% ratings and 10% virtue signalling. There are a lot of worse things going on, which have been for a long time.

I totally agree.
I was talking to someone about this today.

All news now is soft news. You need to go and find the real news.
250,000 people to turn up in London today to see/protest Trump. More British people turned up for a Trump protest that a Brexit protest.

Why?
Brexit is dull. Teresa May and Boris Johnson are boring. People don't understand Brexit.
A gobby American celebrity President/Troll who says controversial things and can trigger liberals by wearing a baseball cap is the opposite of dull.

It's a sad state of affairs. I blame Facebook.

Trump’s meeting with May and the queen was part of an official visit as president.

He’s not playing golf as president; he’s playing golf at a resort he owns as a private individual.

Why, therefore, are we spending all this money protecting him.  He should be reimbursing is.

7 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I totally agree.
I was talking to someone about this today.

250,000 people to turn up in London today to see/protest Trump. More British people turned up for a Trump protest that a Brexit protest.

Why?
Brexit is dull. Teresa May and Boris Johnson are boring. People don't understand Brexit.
A gobby American celebrity President/Troll who says controversial things and can trigger liberals by wearing a baseball cap is the opposite of dull.

It's a sad state of affairs. I blame Facebook.

Trump's visit is a one off event. Brexit is an ongoing process. It's easier to protest one than the other.

Liam Fox arguing on behalf of Trump against the EU (us at least for now) over tariffs. Mentioning the 10% tariff on US cars imported into the EU without mentioning the 25% tariff on EU pick ups, vans and lorries imported into the US. No wonder Trump is encouraging the breakup of the EU so he can have bilateral trade talks from a position of strength with scrotes like Fox instead of dealing with a trading block as strong as Europe. Putin will be delighted with Trump undermining NATO but I'm not so sure he'll want a fragmented Europe leaving American hegemony unmitigated economically except by China.

Edited by welshbairn

11 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Why?

If the media reported accurately and as regularly about the effects of austerity or the UK role in Yemen as it does on Trump then they would attract as much protest as Trump.

It would also help if the media actually reported on large protests in the tens of thousands. During the election last year Corbyn was drawing five figure crowds all over England which were barely covered while the supposedly impartial media were covering May's stage managed appearances from approved camera positions.

Mind when Donald spent several years trying to suggest his predecessor was lying about where he was born? Let's play a game of "Why Would He?" Here are your options.

1. It was because Obama was a Democrat
  2. It was because Obama  did a poor job of being President
  3. It was coz he woz black, innit?

ujhlCC6.png