The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

22 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Nike has a statement out on the NFL protesters. 

"Nike supports athletes and their right to free expression on issues that are of great importance to our society."

This is the same company that fired Manny Pacquio for his comments on homosexuality.

Is Manny Pacquiao's homophobia really comparable to the current situation in the NFL ?

7 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I'd judge myself less cringeworthy  than a bunch of BLM activists rampaging through a hipster coffee shop chanting about white spaces. Somehow they think this makes their cause more sympathetic.

Where do Nazis carrying tiki torches and chanting 'Jews will not replace us' come on your cringe list ? Less cringeworthy than BLM ?

11 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Either Nike supports "free expression" for their athletes or they don't. 

Nike also has a duty of care to its other athletes and staff, many of whom will be LGBTQ.

In both instances, Nike are doing what's best for Nike and their profit margins.

1 hour ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:
Either Nike supports "free expression" for their athletes or they don't. 

Maybe, just maybe Nike dont want their brand associated with bigotry.

The "free" in free speech does not refer to the consequences.

Edited by Todders

18 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Go click on the links to the individual players on that list. Outside of the Canadians almost all of them moved to the US as child immigrants with their families. 

Incorrect. Quick look shows 4 Aussies, 5 Englishmen, 5 assorted Europeans and 3 others who went to America as adults. 

Must stop replying to your tendentious shite.

7 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Nike also has a duty of care to its other athletes and staff, many of whom will be LGBTQ.

In both instances, Nike are doing what's best for Nike and their profit margins.

Uh, I'd wager more people in the US are offended by someone disrespecting the flag when compared to someone arguing against the morality of homosexuality.

And many of their athletes and staff are not LGBTQ. Somewhere around 3-4% if their demo matches the population at large.

Nike is thinking about their corporate values, not their bottom line. They want to be inclusive to LGBTQ people and ostracize people who oppose them. They don't really care if people are offended by protests that are viewed as an attack on American identity by a large percentage of the population. I'm personally for free speech by employees as a corporate value. For that reason it annoys me when corporations who are not actually behind free speech try to use that principle to hide from a controversial stance.

4 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Incorrect. Quick look shows 4 Aussies, 5 Englishmen, 5 assorted Europeans and 3 others who went to America as adults. 

Must stop replying to your tendentious shite.

Are you fuckin serious? Do you know how many people put on a uniform over the course of an NFL season? That list you linked to has people who are on practice squads for two weeks or who were offseason/preseason signees only. Each NFL team generally has between 65 and 80 players per year when you factor in injured reserve and practice squad. Much higher when you get to the offseason/preseason guys. 

48 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Uh, I'd wager more people in the US are offended by someone disrespecting the flag when compared to someone arguing against the morality of homosexuality.

Perhaps, although that says more about 'people in the US' than it does about Nike tbh. Also, did Paquaio not say something along the lines of 'gays are animals', or 'less than animals' ? If so, that goes beyond your description of 'arguing against the morality of homosexuality'.

And many of their athletes and staff are not LGBTQ. Somewhere around 3-4% if their demo matches the population at large.

Nike employs around 77,000 people worldwide. So around 3-3500 employees, although I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

Nike is thinking about their corporate values, not their bottom line. They want to be inclusive to LGBTQ people and ostracize people who oppose them. 

I'm struggling to see any issues with Nike's stance here.

They don't really care if people are offended by protests that are viewed as an attack on American identity by a large percentage of the population.

I'd be more inclined to take your and other Trump supporters tear stained mewlings on 'disrespecting America and the flag' more seriously if you were equally condemning of Trump and his comments on McCain and PoWs.

I'm personally for free speech by employees as a corporate value. For that reason it annoys me when corporations who are not actually behind free speech try to use that principle to hide from a controversial stance.

It's equally annoying when people hide behind the principle of free speech to deliberately offend and incite.

1 minute ago, doulikefish said:

Yip i remember it being on the news when mo johnson signed even though john spencer had been there for years the thick bigots

Indeed. 

Didn't some thick (Larkhall?) bigots publish weekly league tables which excluded Johnson's goals i.e. if Rangers won 1-0 and he scored, they counted it as a 0-0 draw?

As President of the United States of America, I wonder where Donald Trump finds the time to send these tweets.

I have this image of Trump in some room with numerous officials from the White House, the Pentagon and the State Department.

He is sitting typing into his phone muttering "NFL scumbags" while somebody is saying "Mister President. Sir. We were discussing what to do about North Korea .."