The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If it doesn't go his way he won't accept the result.

He's currently elected under the democratic system in place in the United States. To call him a dictator based upon speculation as to his future actions is ridiculous. 

To be fair, that poll could list any US President since WW2 as the greatest threat to World Peace..... whatever the f**k that's supposed to be!

The permanent state has been pushing for this for years.

52 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

He's currently elected under the democratic system in place in the United States. To call him a dictator based upon speculation as to his future actions is ridiculous. 

He clearly stated he wouldn't accept the result of the last one if he had lost.

11 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

I'm pretty sure assassination is still illegal.

Most possibly illegal under international law but, as an act which occurred outside of the United States and isn't subject to a specific extra-territorial jurisdiction statute, it's not illegal under US criminal law. A lot of people are claiming that Trump broke US law by authorising the strike without Congress' approval (which would make it unlawful rather than illegal), but even that isn't the case because Trump, through his role as Commander in Chief, has executive power to direct the actions of the US military. Of the various branches of government, only Congress can declare war, but only the President can direct the actions of the US military.

So in sum, possibly illegal under international law (for which there are no viable penalties), but neither illegal nor unlawful under US law.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

He clearly stated he wouldn't accept the result of the last one if he had lost.

Aye, but he still won it. If he'd lost and not accepted the result that still wouldn't make him a dictator unless he seized power somehow, like with a military coup.

I believe he's the favourite to win the next election. However assuming he doesn't I can't see how he's going to hang on to the presidency. What you're suggesting is that he would be a dictator given the chance. I think many people would, I would love to be a dictator.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I bet you wouldn't after a while, everyone whining when you screwed it up and nobody left to blame it on.

Most just kill everyone until they get the message.....

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I bet you wouldn't after a while, everyone whining when you screwed it up and nobody left to blame it on.

I'm talking about a dictatorship! How many complaints do you think Kim Jong-un receives? 

Edited by Ralstonite

6 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Most possibly illegal under international law but, as an act which occurred outside of the United States and isn't subject to a specific extra-territorial jurisdiction statute, it's not illegal under US criminal law. A lot of people are claiming that Trump broke US law by authorising the strike without Congress' approval (which would make it unlawful rather than illegal), but even that isn't the case because Trump, through his role as Commander in Chief, has executive power to direct the actions of the US military. Of the various branches of government, only Congress can declare war, but only the President can direct the actions of the US military.

So in sum, possibly illegal under international law (for which there are no viable penalties), but neither illegal nor unlawful under US law.

Colossal idiot hasn't heard of the International Court of Justice, shock.

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

Whilst this is true, every single US President since WW2 could (and probably, should) have been tried for crimes against humanity/war crimes.

Number of Us Presidents since WW2 = 13

Number that have actually been tried = 0

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

35 minutes ago, sjc said:

Whilst this is true, every single US President since WW2 could (and probably, should) have been tried for crimes against humanity/war crimes.

Number of Us Presidents since WW2 = 13

Number that have actually been tried = 0

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

America doesn't recognise the ICJ, and do their best to undermine it.

While I may be a colossal idiot, I do practice international law and am qualified to practice in America having easily passed the NY Bar Exam. So, a few points:

- the ICJ doesn't punish war crimes and crimes against humanity. That's the International Criminal Court and, as welshbairn says, America doesn't recognise it's jurisdiction.

- the jurisdiction of the ICJ does cover other breaches of international law, but only if states have agreed to submit the dispute to it. It's more like a civil court which you opt into on a case by case basis. A typical case would involve the interpretation of UN treaty wording. It's not for extra judicial assassinations. In any case, any penalty levied by the ICJ would be against the State rather than Trump personally.

- Therefore, no viable penalties.

Stating the fact that Trump is probably legally beyond reproach for killing Suleimani doesn't mean I support the assassination or Trump himself, and, in case it's misleading, my username is no indication of my political views.