The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Don't see why, he or she's only reason for staying is to try to stop Trump doing any more damage than he already is. An honourable task. It's probably some high ranking deputy or assistant we've never heard of.

Bollocks.

This is the republicans trying to save face for when the inevitable impeachment / resignation happens. "See, we were the good guys all along! Vote for us again!"

Whoever wrote it is an absolute coward. If so many of the staff believe Trump is unfit for office, invoke the 25th.

31 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Mike Pompeo is the latest really senior "senior official" to rule himself out.  If it's someone on that kind of level, then this is an historic revelation.

Clearly Trumpy boy is just going down the pecking order, telling folk to make a statement or walk.

Supposedly Mike Pence regularly uses the word "lodestar" which is included in the article. That would be fantastic if it's him. :lol: He's the only person that Trump can't sack.

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1037457903614140416

Edited by welshbairn

23 minutes ago, Detournement said:

What happens if the name the NYT has been provided by the intermediary makes a statement ruling themselves out?

Well, that happened for years with Deep Throat, who literally denied being Deep Throat before giving Woodward (his timing is impeccable) permission to reveal it having told it previously to Vanity Fair.  

I think the only legitimate way that the NYT can reveal the name is if a) the name allows them to do so or b) the information in the op-ed turns out to be manifestly false.  Which isn't happening, because not one Trumper has come out and denied any of the content, only the means of revealing the content.

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Supposedly Mike Pence regularly uses the word "lodestar" which is included in the article. That would be fantastic if it's him. :lol: He's the only person that Trump can't sack.

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1037457903614140416

I've genuinely never heard that word before in my life.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Well, that happened for years with Deep Throat, who literally denied being Deep Throat before giving Woodward (his timing is impeccable) permission to reveal it having told it previously to Vanity Fair.  

I think the only legitimate way that the NYT can reveal the name is if a) the name allows them to do so or b) the information in the op-ed turns out to be manifestly false.  Which isn't happening, because not one Trumper has come out and denied any of the content, only the means of revealing the content.

Trump issues denials - "He's lying!"

Trump issues no denials - "It must all be true!"

TDS overload :lol:

10 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The difference here being that it sounds like no journalist has had direct contact with the source.

1 minute ago, killiefan27 said:

They do know exactly who it is, it says it in the intro on the story.

"a senior official in the Trump administration whose identity is known to us"

For those who struggle with logic.....

If I tell you that Rihanna told me she supports East Fife it's not proof that Rihanna supports East Fife or that i've even spoken to Rihanna.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If I tell you that Rihanna told me she supports East Fife it's not proof that Rihanna supports East Fife or that i've even spoken to Rihanna.

What makes you think they're lying?

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

No, you see I'd then ask you some follow-up questions.

"How do you know that Rihanna supports East Fife?"

"Do you have any proof that Rihanna supports East Fife?"

"When did you speak to Rihanna about East Fife?"

"Are there people I could contact who would verify you spoke to Rihanna about East Fife?"

Once I'd got some satisfactory answers to those questions, I might publish a story saying Rihanna is an East Fife fan, even if I didn't have a quote from her saying she supported them.

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that there wasn't direct contact, but they wouldn't publish it without knowing exactly where it came from.

34 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The first story was based on what they were told by Cohen's lawyer, who later retracted it as it could mess with Cohen's deal with the FBI. They chose to believe the first statement.

The second 2 are both mistakenly jumping to the wrong conclusion to rush a story out. Both were retracted when they realised they'd fucked up.

There's no evidence of the NYT lying about knowing the source. 

The Brian Ross story was somehow confirmed by three or four other media outlets before it was proven false.

The CNN/Lanny Davis/Cohen story is a simple example of anonymous sources using false information to subvert the news agenda. CNN also lied when they said that Davis refused to comment.

As for the stories being retracted it's irrelevant as the retractions reach far fewer readers/viewers than the initial headlines and contribute to an over reaching narrative.

That essay was ill-advised. Entirely predictable Trump would bunker down on it, and there will probably be another purge when people who may or may not have written it are emptied in favour of another round of yes men. 

Someone has obviously decided that they wanted to pose as some sort of American saviour against Trump whilst completely forgetting that what Trump is despite working with him every day of the week. Press attacked (again) and a mad rush to find the traitor responsible;  well done, chap!