The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

11 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

I'm sure this will be met with calm 🤣

It will be interesting to see if the protests are as large scale and volatile as Trump obviously wants; I’m not sure they will be.

The idea that it’s fundamentally wrong to charge someone with a crime after a thorough investigation is novel though.

On 29/03/2023 at 21:21, Zetterlund said:

Which one of his kids pissed him off enough to make this statement? :lol:

He's got history there to be fair.

He exploited his old dementia-riddled dad to ensure his late brother's two children were 100% cut of the will back in the late 90s.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm not clear that there were any efforts, the leak just seems to be an embassy staffer updating the State Department on the situation in Haiti, there's no mention of any response from the State Department. I added a link to the raw data from wikileaks above. I just think it's very unlikely that the cable would have reached the Whitehouse, given the vast amount of reports being produced every day.

Ok, thanks, I understand now and, yes, the US "efforts" I'm considering need more context than just those leaked cables. That epoch probably began in 2004 when Aristide, the anti-privatisation president, was deposed in a coup USA allegedly supported. Preval replaced him and began Haiti down a privatisation path, so much that the Economy of Haiti Wikipedia page now opens with "Haiti is a free market economy with low labour costs". Precisely the wrong model for lifting people out of poverty but the ideal model for US companies. ADIH is the Haitian textile factory owners' body mentioned in the cables. It'd been a powerless nonentity in Haiti prior to 2003 when Bill Clinton arranged for it to receive patronage from the Bush government (https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/05/clinton-foundation-haiti-117368/). Obama by 2009 had appointed Bill's wife as head of the state department, so Hillary became responsible for directing US foreign policy including in Haiti. That ADIH were able to block that 2009 minimum wage law was because the US patronage had empowered them to that level.

I'm a bit shit at trying to explain this stuff. How USA acted upon Third World nations under Obama. Folk from these places can do it a lot better. Here's a description of how Philippines fared:

Fse8M3ZWcAAcYEn.thumb.png.151322e694739ba4a7e5995a02ad409f.png

(https://www.ibon.org/us-aid-and-imperialism/)

Anyway, I'm sympathetic to this view:

7 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

The main point is that any person that is president is well aware of the crimes committed by the US in order to expand and maintain the empire and to be able to just go along with that will take someone that is a deeply flawed person. 

There's the more obvious imperialism of military action as Obama used on Libya but imperialism also means wealth extraction, of course, and Obama fully maintained USA's global empire in that sense. It should be noted here too that by "USA" we mean the state being used to benefit only the US elite. Working class Americans still have the shittest deal of all First World working classes and Obama did next to nothing to improve their lot.

For all his bluff and bluster I reckon Trump will be very uncomfortable with this process.

The E Jean Carroll and other NY civil suit against the Trump Organisation plus the possibility of criminal charges in Georgia regarding the vote ‘rigging’ will play more on his mind now.

Trump says he won’t plead guilty; fair enough.

There is zero chance that he will be able to sit through a trial without making a c**t of himself.  I wonder what the chances are of him getting done for contempt during the trial.

It will also be great fun if the judge imposes a gagging order.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

For all his bluff and bluster I reckon Trump will be very uncomfortable with this process.

The E Jean Carroll and other NY civil suit against the Trump Organisation plus the possibility of criminal charges in Georgia regarding the vote ‘rigging’ will play more on his mind now.

100% agree. For all his bluster, he is $hitting bricks right now. Mostly because as much as he is a total fvckwad, he isn't totally stupid. He know that when it comes to the business side of things, he cannot pull the wool over folks eyes like he does with other stuff. Hank in Arkansas will have a view on Woke Liberals etc, but be clueless about financial crimes.

Equally, it is a total ball ache for Republicans. If it goes wrong, he is probably next president and they don't want that (sensible ones dont) or he goes down and they all seem complicit.

The prosicuters wouldn't go this far if they didn't think they could get a conviction and he and his lot know this.

I don't see him ever going to trial though. He will either do some deal behind the scenes in return for turning on others and never run for office again OR (and what I think will happen) is that he will be dead before it ever gets that far.......

Thing is, Trump could be found guilty of putting live kittens through a mincer and using a stars 'n' stripes astoilet paper and massacring babies, and his boneheaded followers would either lap it up ('What a guy!') or claim TOTAL LIES! DRAIN THE SWAMP! LAME!

3 hours ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

...DeSantis is far more appealing, and not having Trump calling him names would clear the way...

Ron De Sanctimonious hasn't quite resonated to the same extent that Low Energy Jeb did. They finally got Al Capone for fiddling his taxes rather than any of the big stuff so maybe this is the easier way to take Trump down rather than anything directly linked to his failed Jan 6th coup attempt.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

6 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

Apart from his involvement in Vietnam, LBJ, was closest the USA came to a left wing president. 

Think Franklin D Roosevelt deserves a mention on that as well. Things like the New Deal and the Tennessee Valley Authority were genuinely left of centre:

220px-TVA_sign_at_Hyde_Park,_NY_IMG_5665