The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

14 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I guess we'll see in 2024.

He still commands worrying levels of support and, when he's unveiled as the tax dodger everyone knows he is, the Republicans will likely just choose to believe he's a Robin Hood figure, keeping money away from welfare queens.

It’s a fair time to wait until I can say “I told you so” but that’s life.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s a fair time to wait until I can say “I told you so” but that’s life.

I wouldn't go putting any money on it. Trump would've won in 2020 if it hadn't been for COVID. And, as he keeps saying, he got more votes than any prior candidate.

Sadly for him, he wasn't up against Walter Mondale in 1984.

I don't think Trump can win in 2024 tbh. His only chance is if the Dems stick with Biden and he's even more of a gibbering shambles than he is now. 

Trump can only really command the support of the moonhowling wing of the Republican Party and assorted QAnon nutters. Moderate republicans aren't going to vote for him and will probably just stay at home. The Democrats seem to have started getting their younger supporters out to vote and should they continue to do so, that plus some republicans staying at home should finish Trump. 

We also have to factor in his tax returns showing up some seriously shady stuff, criminal investigations around the Capitol Riots and I think a sexual assault case not to mention that the Party still have to nominate him. The only way he wins that, imo is to bully them into it by threatening to take his supporters with him and run as independent, which would surely be enough to properly f**k the republicans in the next election. 

Trump will win the Republican nomination if he goes for it imo. He still polls better than any other possible candidate. The rest of the candidates will be empty suits with little nationwide profile with the exception of De Santis. If he doesn't run then he's effectively the kingmaker given the level of support he has.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

That was before he was elected, wasn't it? The tradition was that presidential candidates made their returns public when they were running.

Seems like tax dodging goes over with Republicans about as well as sexual assault and perving on underage girls while they're changing.

1968, George Romney released returns while running, starting a tradition. Before that, Presidents generally released their tax returns. Since 1968, the exceptions are Gerald Ford and Donald Trump.

9 minutes ago, Stringer Bell said:

Trump will win the Republican nomination if he goes for it imo. He still polls better than any other possible candidate. The rest of the candidates will be empty suits with little nationwide profile with the exception of De Santis. If he doesn't run then he's effectively the kingmaker given the level of support he has.

Trump has a better plurality of Republican support than any other individual candidate, which may result in the nomination. It’s seriously doubtful he can win the general election.

42 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

I don't think Trump can win in 2024 tbh. His only chance is if the Dems stick with Biden and he's even more of a gibbering shambles than he is now. 

Trump can only really command the support of the moonhowling wing of the Republican Party and assorted QAnon nutters. Moderate republicans aren't going to vote for him and will probably just stay at home. The Democrats seem to have started getting their younger supporters out to vote and should they continue to do so, that plus some republicans staying at home should finish Trump. 

We also have to factor in his tax returns showing up some seriously shady stuff, criminal investigations around the Capitol Riots and I think a sexual assault case not to mention that the Party still have to nominate him. The only way he wins that, imo is to bully them into it by threatening to take his supporters with him and run as independent, which would surely be enough to properly f**k the republicans in the next election. 

The really worrying thing is just how big the moonhowling wing is. He may well lose, but that's an awful lot of people who are willing to endorse him as fit to be president.

Not saying they should vote for Biden, but staying at home, spoiling your ballot, or...y'know...voting for someone else are all options. Nobody's forcing them to eat the sandwich they decide has less shit in it.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

I wouldn't go putting any money on it. Trump would've won in 2020 if it hadn't been for COVID. And, as he keeps saying, he got more votes than any prior candidate.

Sadly for him, he wasn't up against Walter Mondale in 1984.

He got less votes than Hilary Clinton.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

He got less votes than Hilary Clinton.

I know; it's his comfort blanket from the last election. He got more votes than any other candidate, if you discount all the votes that he lost by.

That phone call with the Georgian Secretary of State never gets old. "Just say I got one vote more than Sleepy Joe, c'mon!"  :lol:

An appeals court has struck down the appointment of a ‘special master’ to review government documents seized at Trump’s Florida residence.  It’s good news for the DoJ but also for the rule of law and the apparent willingness of most judges not to put political allegiances ahead of due process.

It also calls into question the ethical standards of the judge who agreed to appoint the special master.  Aileen Cannon looks to be one of these Trump appointees who will put political allegiances first and has been rebuked by the appeal court judges.

Trump, is finding that his appointed judges, including SC Justices, are not necessarily going to dance to his tune.  I can’t see him being too happy about that.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

An appeals court has struck down the appointment of a ‘special master’ to review government documents seized at Trump’s Florida residence.  It’s good news for the DoJ but also for the rule of law and the apparent willingness of most judges not to put political allegiances ahead of due process.

It also calls into question the ethical standards of the judge who agreed to appoint the special master.  Aileen Cannon looks to be one of these Trump appointees who will put political allegiances first and has been rebuked by the appeal court judges.

Trump, is finding that his appointed judges, including SC Justices, are not necessarily going to dance to his tune.  I can’t see him being too happy about that.

Wonder if it is the same as this country, no matter how many slap downs they get they can't be sacked. they can be moved aside but still its a job for life.

It's surely been massively frustrating for the King in Exile that he couldn't find people willing to lay their careers and freedom on the line explicitly for his benefit. Has to be confusing for somebody who always got whatever he wanted until recent years.

Apparently The Don's finally going full Hitler, demanding the termination of all rules and regulations including the American Constitution in order to have himself returned to power. Not RESPECTING AR CONSTITOOSHUN is second only to taking a dump on Jesus's face in right-wing American society, so the Republicans must be fucking seething that he's saying the quiet bit out loud.

Hasn't been enough for the party to actually say or do anything against the Word of The Donald yet, however. Such upstanding, principled moral leaders.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

It's surely been massively frustrating for the King in Exile that he couldn't find people willing to lay their careers and freedom on the line explicitly for his benefit. Has to be confusing for somebody who always got whatever he wanted until recent years.

Apparently The Don's finally going full Hitler, demanding the termination of all rules and regulations including the American Constitution in order to have himself returned to power. Not RESPECTING AR CONSTITOOSHUN is second only to taking a dump on Jesus's face in right-wing American society, so the Republicans must be fucking seething that he's saying the quiet bit out loud.

Hasn't been enough for the party to actually say or do anything against the Word of The Donald yet, however. Such upstanding, principled moral leaders.

I tend to disagree.  The American right-wing have no more respect for the Constitution than Trump does.

They will laud it when it suits their purposes but decry it in an instant when it doesn’t; often in the same breath.