The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

3 hours ago, RiG said:

A total distraction that will go nowhere in part because he would be obliged to testify in person if called.

ETA I’m astounded that he’s found lawyers willing to act on his behalf given his record of stiffing them.  Maybe they’ve been paid up front like the last guy.

Edited by Granny Danger

3 hours ago, RiG said:

This needs to be on the telly. Obviously it'd get laughed out of a real court as soon as they got some fees from it but Judy or Rinder would take this on. 

On 21/09/2022 at 17:32, welshbairn said:

The AG mentioned their office is always open if Trump's team has another offer to settle, the last of which was rejected a few days ago. Sounds like the price is $250 million dollars, inflating your wealth can come back to bite you. I wonder how much he actually has, most of the properties in his name he doesn't own, he just sold the right to use his name which is a diminishing asset in most places. His golf courses in Scotland are losing a bundle, Turnberry losing the right to hold the Open won't help in prestige valuations. I hear the most likely reason he hasn't declared his candidacy for 2024 yet is all the money he's raised from maga mugs to get back the stolen election would be under strict supervision, meaning he couldn't use them for paying lawyers defending all his private issues. The funniest thing to come out of this would be if it turns out he's broke, and he and the family had to move into a Florida condo in Jacksonville. Won't happen sadly.

IIRC, someone did some actual journalism years ago and worked out that he had, oddly enough, a maximum personal wealth of about $250 million, no more than he'd inherited. He responded by suing the guy for something like $10 billion dollars, later admitting that he knew he'd no chance of winning, but he just wanted to make the guy's life miserable (a SLAPP suit in other words, something he's massively keen on, and boasted about wanting to make easier).

On 22/09/2022 at 23:52, Merkie84 said:

This incedent  further strengthens the idea that I have had for sometime that Trump has no idea what the limits and conventions regarding being president are. 

I think he thought being president means he could do whatever he liked.

Yeah, that's literally the defence that's been used by some of his cronies. There are no limits to the President's powers.

The Richard Nixon strategy.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

TBH it’s old news.

For most Presidents it would be a major scandal, for Trump it’s a footnote.

8 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

He’s been officially called and his former aide has been given 4 months for refusing to testify.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63350291

If (when) the Democrats loose control of the House next month will this not all be mothballed?

49 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If (when) the Democrats loose control of the House next month will this not all be mothballed?

Nope, the charge, decision and sentence was a legal matter in the Courts, and beyond the control of Congress after the Congressional vote was taken.

27 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Nope, the charge, decision and sentence was a legal matter in the Courts, and beyond the control of Congress after the Congressional vote was taken.

Good to know, and seems to contradict things I’ve read.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Good to know, and seems to contradict things I’ve read.

There is a theory that the new Congress could revisit the charge, but the election on Nov 8 seats a Congress on Jan 20th, not immediately, so it would take that long before that novel theory could be tested. For now, the judge has stayed his order to remand Brannon to custody in light of his intended appeal, so it is possible some sort of test case could occur here.

Because this was a Criminal Contempt of Congress case, and prosecuted by the DOJ, I don’t see how a reversal would play into any sentence or ruling. They are probably thinking of the 1982 case of Anne Gorsuch, head of Reagan’s EPA, but no prosecution had occurred at the time that the White House rescinded its claim and Gorsuch released the documents, so Congress dropped the charge. There is also the chance they are confusing this prosecution with a prosecution using the Inherent Contempt Power of Congress, which would also be reversible by Congressional action.

Edited by TxRover

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2022 at 17:08, TxRover said:

A real quote from Donald Trump about tonight’s results:

"Well, I think if they win, I should get all the credit. If they lose, I should not be blamed at all."

They've just referred to that quote on "Breaking the News" and thought that was an ideal reason to appoint Trump as the Scottish football manager.