The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

9 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Said it before and will say it again, Trump’s judicial appointments, including that of Supreme Court Justices, with no regard for past precedent on suitability or experience will mean his influence will last far longer than he does.

If the Democrats ever get a chance to railroad through equally radical changes then they should do it; but they won’t.

It reminds me of Tories imposing draconian and far reaching legislation and Labour’s wishy washy response in reversing it when they can.  Why are those on the ‘left’ of politics such lightweights?

Actually, if they get a chance to weight in on the Constitutional Convention ideas under Article V, we could be really f**ked.

On 19/09/2022 at 12:46, Granny Danger said:

I reckon that Trump’s downfall will ultimately be inflating the value of his investments to obtain finance then going the other way when declaring for tax purposes.

One successful prosecution is all that’s needed.

The New York Attorney General who's been investigating this is streaming a statement here in half an hour, 4.30 UK time, hopefully something juicy.

39 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The New York Attorney General who's been investigating this is streaming a statement here in half an hour, 4.30 UK time, hopefully something juicy.

Civil law suit against the Don and his kids/business for inflating his companies worth to get low insurance/better loan terms 

Cooking the books by the sounds of it 

The AG mentioned their office is always open if Trump's team has another offer to settle, the last of which was rejected a few days ago. Sounds like the price is $250 million dollars, inflating your wealth can come back to bite you. I wonder how much he actually has, most of the properties in his name he doesn't own, he just sold the right to use his name which is a diminishing asset in most places. His golf courses in Scotland are losing a bundle, Turnberry losing the right to hold the Open won't help in prestige valuations. I hear the most likely reason he hasn't declared his candidacy for 2024 yet is all the money he's raised from maga mugs to get back the stolen election would be under strict supervision, meaning he couldn't use them for paying lawyers defending all his private issues. The funniest thing to come out of this would be if it turns out he's broke, and he and the family had to move into a Florida condo in Jacksonville. Won't happen sadly.

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The AG mentioned their office is always open if Trump's team has another offer to settle, the last of which was rejected a few days ago. Sounds like the price is $250 million dollars, inflating your wealth can come back to bite you. I wonder how much he actually has, most of the properties in his name he doesn't own, he just sold the right to use his name which is a diminishing asset in most places. His golf courses in Scotland are losing a bundle, Turnberry losing the right to hold the Open won't help in prestige valuations. I hear the most likely reason he hasn't declared his candidacy for 2024 yet is all the money he's raised from maga mugs to get back the stolen election would be under strict supervision, meaning he couldn't use them for paying lawyers defending all his private issues. The funniest thing to come out of this would be if it turns out he's broke, and he and the family had to move into a Florida condo in Jacksonville. Won't happen sadly.

There's that, and there's also the fact that the RNC are footing (at least some) of his bills - if he declares as a candidate they then can't, because they'd be showing preference to one candiate over another (even before anyone or if nobody else declares). 

It would have been better if Letitia James had been less closely associated with the Dems but I suppose politics and justice in the US are closely intertwined, a boring city clerk type reciting the the examples of fraud would have been more powerful, even better if it had been a Republican. 

Another boot up the arse for Trump and one of his puppet judges.

The criticism of her is quite harsh despite being couched in judicial terms.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-probe-doj-classified-documents-b2172604.html

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/21/donald-trump-lawsuit-new-york-investigation

The former president, meanwhile, insisted that he did nothing wrong in retaining the documents. “There doesn’t have to be a process, as I understand it,” he told the Fox News host Sean Hannity. “If you’re the president of the United States, you can declassify just by saying: ‘It’s declassified’.”

“Even by thinking about it, because you’re sending it to Mar-a-Lago or to wherever you’re sending it ... There can be a process, but there doesn’t have to be.”

Despite it all, Trump has been laying the groundwork for a potential comeback campaign and has accused Biden’s administration of targeting him to undermine his political prospects.

Asked by a conservative radio host what would happen if he was indicted over the classified documents at Mar-a-Lago, Trump replied: “I think you’d have problems in this country the likes of which perhaps we’ve never seen before. I don’t think the people of the United States would stand for it.”

Kurt Bardella, an adviser to the Democratic National Committee, said: “If the best defence you have for your conduct is: if you hold me accountable, there will be violence, that sounds like someone who has no business being either in public service or being outside of jail.”

Bardella expressed hope that, at long last, Trump would be held to account. “Everything about Donald Trump has always been about the grift. It’s always been about the con. And now his unmasking is at hand.”

4 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/21/donald-trump-lawsuit-new-york-investigation

The former president, meanwhile, insisted that he did nothing wrong in retaining the documents. “There doesn’t have to be a process, as I understand it,” he told the Fox News host Sean Hannity. “If you’re the president of the United States, you can declassify just by saying: ‘It’s declassified’.”

“Even by thinking about it, because you’re sending it to Mar-a-Lago or to wherever you’re sending it ... There can be a process, but there doesn’t have to be.”

Despite it all, Trump has been laying the groundwork for a potential comeback campaign and has accused Biden’s administration of targeting him to undermine his political prospects.

Asked by a conservative radio host what would happen if he was indicted over the classified documents at Mar-a-Lago, Trump replied: “I think you’d have problems in this country the likes of which perhaps we’ve never seen before. I don’t think the people of the United States would stand for it.”

Kurt Bardella, an adviser to the Democratic National Committee, said: “If the best defence you have for your conduct is: if you hold me accountable, there will be violence, that sounds like someone who has no business being either in public service or being outside of jail.”

Bardella expressed hope that, at long last, Trump would be held to account. “Everything about Donald Trump has always been about the grift. It’s always been about the con. And now his unmasking is at hand.”

I’m pretty sure that there will be a formal declassification process, but Trump will just lie about it.  Can’t see the courts accepting his lies though.

7 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

This bit has led lots of folks to ponder that Joey could reclassify them all by thinking it. He could even say he said it, but that the dog was the witness. 

"Champ, raise your right paw and swear, did your dad tell you he'd reclassified the docs NARA said were missing"

"Woof"

53 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

This incedent  further strengthens the idea that I have had for sometime that Trump has no idea what the limits and conventions regarding being president are. 

I think he thought being president means he could do whatever he liked.

We're not exactly immune from his brand of leadership in this country (UK) too.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Very soon Trump and his legal representatives are going to have to back up wild assertions with facts.

That’s going to be fun to watch.

Latest is the judge they picked has told them to show evidence that the FBI planted documents or to shut up, that after demanding the same for claims that Trump declassified everything. The difficulty for them is they'll get done for perjury if they lie to the judge, so they're sitting there squirming knowing that Trump is going to scream at them whatever they do.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Latest is the judge they picked has told them to show evidence that the FBI planted documents or to shut up, that after demanding the same for claims that Trump declassified everything. The difficulty for them is they'll get done for perjury if they lie to the judge, so they're sitting there squirming knowing that Trump is going to scream at them whatever they do.

Yeah, that’s what I was referring to.

Not related, but in the NY State case he’s claiming that the banks should have independently valued the properties that he was using as collateral as if that somehow excuses his overvaluations in certified financial documents that he signed off on.

Seems like Trump supporters are quite happy to pay for his legal fees.  I’m pretty sure if there was an epidemic in the USA where only people with an IQ under 85 died then 90% of Trump’s support would be wiped out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62998508

Kevin Bridges has some warm words for Rom Solene of Arizona.

B31D0376-C315-4C9F-95B4-3DCDDAF57802.gif.3724a83fd60e13d2be0da068cdac0a1b.gif

• 2 weeks later...