The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

42 minutes ago, BFTD said:

No doubt you've noticed the folk speculating that he's essentially trying to put off everything until 2025 then work to give himself immunity for as much as possible. I dunno how well that strategy's liable to work, but America deserves everything it gets if that's allowed to happen.

He could probably pardon himself if he gets back into office

Its untested but it doesn’t say in the US Constitution it’s not allowed, and if it does go through the courts the US Supreme Court would rule on it 

15 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

The unfortunate bit is any appeal will go thru the 11th Circuit, which is overseen by…Clarence Thomas. This is why Tory attempts to politicize the judiciary should be sounding screaming alarms in the UK. 

Mild mannered Mitch McConnell did all that despite Trump trying to claim the credit. I didn't realise that SCJs got individual powers over the Circuits.

I didn’t think that anyone in my lifetime would change the political landscape of western democracies in the way Trump has.

At the risk of invoking Godwin’s law maybe Trump is like Hitler, it was an Overton Window and if it hadn’t been Trump it would have been someone else.  However he was definitely the wrong* person at the wrong* time.

There is no doubt whatsoever that his blatant lying and total disregard for convention and the norms of political discourse was a huge incentive for Johnson to do the same in the U.K.  This will carry through with Truss.

* right if you’re a Trump supporter fuckwit.

Apparently the authorities are very concerned that Mar-a-Lago is a magnet for foreign spies where Trump has taken away lots of classified documents.

I have images of the FBI turning up and being met by Park the butler, who claims to be from South Korea but wears the two Kim badges as some sort of joke, the cook is very good at making Borscht, the chauffeur  is nicknamed Ayatollah, the maid is Cindy Assad - not sure where she is from - and various others.

5 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Bannon getting charged at state level is particularly sweet given his federal pardon by Trump.  The evidence already presented suggests it’s going to be pretty easy to get a conviction.

36 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Bannon getting charged at state level is particularly sweet given his federal pardon by Trump.  The evidence already presented suggests it’s going to be pretty easy to get a conviction.

Aye, I didn't realise the State of NY had gotten shot of their double jeopardy policy in 2019, they'd kept that pretty quiet. Wonder if it had been done with anyone specific in mind?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/18/trump-special-master-mar-a-lago-judiciary-courts

"Last week, the significance of Trump’s hyper-aggressive remodeling of the federal bench lurched into view. Aileen Cannon, who Trump nominated for the US district court for the southern district of Florida in May 2020, granted the former president his desire to have a “special master” handle thousands of documents seized by the FBI from the former president’s Mar-a-Lago club in Florida.

The ruling was greeted with astonishment by legal scholars who noted how convenient it was for Trump to give the special master control over highly classified materials. Cannon effectively erected a roadblock in front of the justice department’s criminal investigation into how national security intelligence had been illegally hidden in Mar-a-Lago."

20220913_185840.thumb.jpg.3e013b96d06b9d2a654f3f8ec4fdbae8.jpg

Saw a tweet the other week that was along the lines of “it’s a shame that the funniest person that’s ever lived is also one of the worst”, which is absolutely bang on. An abysmal human being? Absolutely. Demonstrably hilarious? Undeniably. Was howling laughing being reminded of these two clips earlier

Equally, can’t help but fear the Mar-A-Lago documents are going to go the same way as the russiagate stuff. Yet another “he can’t weasel out this time”…*weasels out*…”ah well, nevertheless”moment.

He’s a crook, but has always been a pretty unimaginative one. Rangers esque not paying the facepainter on a grander scale (lawyers mainly)has always been his bag, and I’m genuinely not convinced he has the intelligence to be covertly selling state secrets and nuclear weaponry designs to foreign despots. If it has happened, it’s far more likely been under his nose while someone’s distracted him by jangling keys or so.

Jared Kushner, on the other hand, I could absolutely believe that little snake was adding another couple of billion to the property investment fund by giving away info on American assets and a variety of other treasonous activities.

14 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Saw a tweet the other week that was along the lines of “it’s a shame that the funniest person that’s ever lived is also one of the worst”, which is absolutely bang on. An abysmal human being? Absolutely. Demonstrably hilarious? Undeniably. Was howling laughing being reminded of these two clips earlier

Equally, can’t help but fear the Mar-A-Lago documents are going to go the same way as the russiagate stuff. Yet another “he can’t weasel out this time”…*weasels out*…”ah well, nevertheless”moment.

He’s a crook, but has always been a pretty unimaginative one. Rangers esque not paying the facepainter on a grander scale (lawyers mainly)has always been his bag, and I’m genuinely not convinced he has the intelligence to be covertly selling state secrets and nuclear weaponry designs to foreign despots. If it has happened, it’s far more likely been under his nose while someone’s distracted him by jangling keys or so.

Jared Kushner, on the other hand, I could absolutely believe that little snake was adding another couple of billion to the property investment fund by giving away info on American assets and a variety of other treasonous activities.

I reckon that Trump’s downfall will ultimately be inflating the value of his investments to obtain finance then going the other way when declaring for tax purposes.

One successful prosecution is all that’s needed.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I reckon that Trump’s downfall will ultimately be inflating the value of his investments to obtain finance then going the other way when declaring for tax purposes.

One successful prosecution is all that’s needed.

I hope it's something tawdry and straightforward like that, simple fraud that is clear to anyone, or cheating contractors or investors. Anything to do with the Espionage Act or hoarding secret documents will have the trumpets shrieking deep state stitch up and they'll never shut up about it.

Edited by welshbairn

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/19/the-trump-judge-ruling-on-the-mar-a-lago-affair-is-defying-established-law

"Judge Aileen Cannon’s two rulings in the Mar-a-Lago affair offer a master class in illustrating how a young and ideologically-driven judge can badly bungle important issues of law and public policy and distort the proper role of courts in protecting state secrets and supervising criminal investigations. The Justice Department, wisely, is appealing.

The catalogue of errors and abuses is too long for a single column, so we touch only on the low points.

It is important to note that Judge Cannon received her appointment when she barely passed the American Bar Association’s minimum length of experience following law school graduation to be considered even minimally “qualified” for the federal bench.

More significantly, she appears to owe her appointment to her membership in the Federalist Society, the virtually exclusive source of Trump’s judicial selections.

Her approach to this dispute between the United States government and the former president has been shaped by a strange blend of the Federalist Society’s ideological influence on her career and a MAGA-cult-like belief that the former president should enjoy almost royal prerogatives."

2 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/19/the-trump-judge-ruling-on-the-mar-a-lago-affair-is-defying-established-law

"Judge Aileen Cannon’s two rulings in the Mar-a-Lago affair offer a master class in illustrating how a young and ideologically-driven judge can badly bungle important issues of law and public policy and distort the proper role of courts in protecting state secrets and supervising criminal investigations. The Justice Department, wisely, is appealing.

The catalogue of errors and abuses is too long for a single column, so we touch only on the low points.

It is important to note that Judge Cannon received her appointment when she barely passed the American Bar Association’s minimum length of experience following law school graduation to be considered even minimally “qualified” for the federal bench.

More significantly, she appears to owe her appointment to her membership in the Federalist Society, the virtually exclusive source of Trump’s judicial selections.

Her approach to this dispute between the United States government and the former president has been shaped by a strange blend of the Federalist Society’s ideological influence on her career and a MAGA-cult-like belief that the former president should enjoy almost royal prerogatives."

Said it before and will say it again, Trump’s judicial appointments, including that of Supreme Court Justices, with no regard for past precedent on suitability or experience will mean his influence will last far longer than he does.

If the Democrats ever get a chance to railroad through equally radical changes then they should do it; but they won’t.

It reminds me of Tories imposing draconian and far reaching legislation and Labour’s wishy washy response in reversing it when they can.  Why are those on the ‘left’ of politics such lightweights?