The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

Just now, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Lol.

Are you still in Chicagoland?

Do you think the government is doing a good job there? Crime levels look outrageous.

Aye, I'm in the city. Crime isn't going *up* particularly, but there's been a couple of recent high-profile incidents near/in downtown in the last week that have caught a lot of media attention (fun fact - Chicago isn't even in the top 10 for crime per capita in US cities) because Chicago is a perennial target for the right.  Nobody gives a f**k when it's happening week in week out in the bits of the south side that people with money don't go to. The Mayor has been an enormous disappointment in a lot of ways, but it's not entirely fair to pin it on her - CPD have been on soft strike since former Officer Jason Van Dyke was sent down for the Laquan McDonald murder. State-wise, JB Pritzker's one of the country's more competent Governors and likely the most competent Illinois has had in....ever, probably. 

3 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Please, try to convince me otherwise. Any examples at all. 

Try to convince you? For what purpose? 

You don’t come across as someone who “seeks first to understand” , rather I get the impression you are seeking first to argue and debunk.

Generally speaking, if we agree that a move towards authoritarianism shows itself in things like a desire for social uniformity & punishing perceived enemies who don’t align with the group ideology,  using group authority to control behaviour, moral absolutism and intolerance towards differences…and you can’t see how those traits could be applied to those on the left then there’s nothing for us to discuss, is there?

I accept the examples you gave of authoritarianism from the right, they are undeniable, but you have access to the internet so if you have a genuine desire to explore the subject of authoritarianism from the left you could, so why would I waste any more of my time trying to convince you with examples of something you have already decided doesn’t exist?

1 hour ago, Luddite said:

Try to convince you? For what purpose? 

You don’t come across as someone who “seeks first to understand” , rather I get the impression you are seeking first to argue and debunk.

Generally speaking, if we agree that a move towards authoritarianism shows itself in things like a desire for social uniformity & punishing perceived enemies who don’t align with the group ideology,  using group authority to control behaviour, moral absolutism and intolerance towards differences…and you can’t see how those traits could be applied to those on the left then there’s nothing for us to discuss, is there?

I accept the examples you gave of authoritarianism from the right, they are undeniable, but you have access to the internet so if you have a genuine desire to explore the subject of authoritarianism from the left you could, so why would I waste any more of my time trying to convince you with examples of something you have already decided doesn’t exist?

I’m just asking you to tell me what examples of dangerous authoritarianism you’ve seen from the left. The fact that we’re having this conversation establishes thus I do have access to the internet. I’m asking you for things you’ve said that you’ve seen, rather than things that I can find for myself. If you could, I’d appreciate it. 

Edited by carpetmonster

9 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I’m just asking you to tell me what examples of dangerous authoritarianism you’ve seen from the left. The fact that we’re having this conversation establishes thus I do have access to the internet. I’m asking you for things you’ve said that you’ve seen, rather than things that I can find for myself. If you could, I’d appreciate it. 

No

9 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

So the things ‘I’ve already decided don’t exist’ actually don’t exist then? Huh. Fair enough. 

3 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

FTFY

I don’t know what FTFY means, but you have won this debate and you have completely owned me so I have given you the little green upvote thing.  Was nice chatting with you @carpetmonster👍

Here in the States, right wing tendencies are shifting further right and it is not comforting at all. There's nothing on the left, that I can think of, that compares to those absolute nut jobs.

It is everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Anonapersona said:

Here in the States, right wing tendencies are shifting further right and it is not comforting at all. There's nothing on the left, that I can think of, that compares to those absolute nut jobs.

It is everywhere.

The Americans seem to have decided that Hitler was a leftie.

Which, TBF, he was by their standards.

On 21/05/2022 at 16:09, carpetmonster said:

Aye, I'm in the city. Crime isn't going *up* particularly, but there's been a couple of recent high-profile incidents near/in downtown in the last week that have caught a lot of media attention (fun fact - Chicago isn't even in the top 10 for crime per capita in US cities) because Chicago is a perennial target for the right.  Nobody gives a f**k when it's happening week in week out in the bits of the south side that people with money don't go to. The Mayor has been an enormous disappointment in a lot of ways, but it's not entirely fair to pin it on her - CPD have been on soft strike since former Officer Jason Van Dyke was sent down for the Laquan McDonald murder. State-wise, JB Pritzker's one of the country's more competent Governors and likely the most competent Illinois has had in....ever, probably. 

Fair enough. I saw something about a new curfew and that they had installed metal detectors in Millennium Park due to gang violence. 

24 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Fair enough. I saw something about a new curfew and that they had installed metal detectors in Millennium Park due to gang violence. 

Aye, that's in response to one of the high profile incidents - kid got shot in Millennium Park last week. I'm not sure it was gang related, story I read is one kid punched another, who proceeded to pull out a gun and pop the assailant. 

Do folk still think this evil c**t is 'great banter' or 'the greatest ever to play the game' or other such bullshit? 

He gave a speech at the NRA lobby calling for more guns and saying no restrictions should be brought in.

Aye, top patter as usual from him. Hilarious.

Edited by DA Baracus

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Do folk still think this evil c**t is 'great banter' or 'the greatest ever to play the game' or other such bullshit? 

He gave a speech at the NRA lobby calling for more guns and saying no restrictions should be brought in.

Aye, top patter as usual from him. Hilarious.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Just a fucking unbelievably awful piece of shit. He's incredibly dangerous too. Will be overjoyed when he dies.

Hopefully someone will shoot him.

Soon.

Very, very soon.