The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

On 09/05/2022 at 22:44, jofis said:

It must be awkward for some of these right-wing politicians when they go home and talk to the family:

'What were you debating today?'

'we were discussing your genitals and reproductive organs and who is best placed to tell you what to do with them.'

'Oh right, that's a bit weird. Can I not decide what is best for myself?"

'Don't be stupid, this isn't free-speech or gun ownership we're talking about here'.

Seek help.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

This is what politics in the USA has come to:

6A31480A-F99A-4CD4-843E-B5625978EC83.thumb.jpeg.448f473f0a1b01948025d99fb26f9941.jpeg

I really hope whichever one of them gets the nomination after they’ve spunked all the money on lawyers gets hammered into the ground by John Fetterman. Not that I wouldn’t have hoped that anyway, but it’d be extra nice. 

On 04/05/2022 at 05:30, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I'm absolutely calm, but there's no rule to say I cannot judge whether someone is an absolute idiot. Nothing, absolutely nothing in the remainder of the post I lifted "amused" from concerns anything but people using their power to make other, less powerful people's lives poorer at best and non-existent at worst. Forgive me, but I fail to see the humour.

Being “amused” in response to absurdity (and what @Albus Bulbasaurdescribed falls under that banner) is hardly controversial. Some big-time thinkers such as Camus and Nagel thought it to be a perfectly healthy response.

Personally, amusement is my go-to response as a result of the inescapable and ever-increasing onslaught of hypocrisy and absurdity we’ve all been subjected to for the past few decades.

You came in pretty heavy calling the guy an idiot. I don’t care for his choice of football team, but having read some of his posts he’s obviously not an idiot.

On 03/05/2022 at 03:45, Granny Danger said:

The troll is sucking people in hook line and sinker rendering the threads on this forum a joke.  Said people should know better.

Instead of discussing one the key issues in domestic US politics people are falling over themselves to rise to the bait.

Why does someone stating a point of view that differs from you make them a “troll”? 

I don’t agree with him, but I see this on here all the time, if you don’t fall in line with the majority you are deemed to be a “troll”. No wonder the right wing are able to convince moderates that authoritarianism from the left is a genuine fear.

Clinton found that out with her needless “basket of deplorables” comment.

Enough people in the US are against abortion to have made it one of the primary reasons they voted Republicans into power, in the hopes they would end up with a Supreme Court that could overturn  Roe v Wade. 

No doubt by pointing out this fact I will also be deemed a “troll”, despite stating that I don’t agree with @Duries Air Fresheneranti-abortion stance.

Edited by Luddite

6 minutes ago, Luddite said:

Why does someone stating a point of view that differs from you make them a “troll”? 

I’m don’t agree with him, but I see this on here all the time, if you don’t fall in line with the majority you are deemed to be a “troll”. No wonder the right wing are able to convince moderates that authoritarianism from the left is a genuine fear.

Clinton found that out with her needless “basket of deplorables” comment.

Enough people in the US are against abortion to have made it one of the primary reasons they voted Republicans into power, in the hopes they would end up with a Supreme Court that could overturn  Roe v Wade. 

No doubt by pointing out this fact I will also be deemed a “troll”, despite stating that I don’t agree with @Duries Air Fresheneranti-abortion stance.

Nail on head.

I don't understand why people can't just disagree or argue sensibly without making insults or accusations.  Most of my mates are left-wing Scottish Nationalists, and we never fall out or make snide remarks to each other about our politics.

8 minutes ago, Luddite said:

I’m don’t agree with him, but I see this on here all the time, if you don’t fall in line with the majority you are deemed to be a “troll”. No wonder the right wing are able to convince moderates that authoritarianism from the left is a genuine fear.

You should probably sub 'moderates' for 'those who've managed to forget which side literally tried to enact a coup 4 months ago'. 

6 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Nail on head.

I don't understand why people can't just disagree or argue sensibly without making insults or accusations.  Most of my mates are left-wing Scottish Nationalists, and we never fall out or make snide remarks to each other about our politics.

Cos you communicate with them in person, like we did for millennia. 

It really disheartens me how quickly most everyone has accepted this weird pseudonymous impotent raging into our phones to complete strangers as a normal way of communicating. It’s fucking weird and I will never be comfortable with. I feel unsettled everytime I type shit like this and throw it out into the abyss then , despite myself, my ego sits anticipating that little twinge you get when someone responds, like a c**t.

10 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

You should probably sub 'moderates' for 'those who've managed to forget which side literally tried to enact a coup 4 months ago'. 

Yeah, that’s it, create “others” in your mind so you can simply write them off, then you don’t have to concern yourself with actually communicating with people and you can be, obviously, justified and morally superior to them.

History shows us that usually works out well.

3 minutes ago, Luddite said:

Yeah, that’s it, create “others” in your mind so you can simply write them off, then you don’t have to concern yourself with actually communicating with people and you can be, obviously, justified and morally superior to them.

History shows us that usually works out well.

I'm not sure how you got any of that from my pointing out that authoritarianism in the US is almost entirely a right-wing phenomena, but if the right wing in the US can convince *anyone* that authoritarianism from the left is an issue then that person didn't take a whole lot of convincing. 

9 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I'm not sure how you got any of that from my pointing out that authoritarianism in the US is almost entirely a right-wing phenomena, but if the right wing in the US can convince *anyone* that authoritarianism from the left is an issue then that person didn't take a whole lot of convincing. 

Is it possible that you don’t see authoritarianism from the left because that’s your tribe?

I live in a very Republican state and voted against Trump… but I definitely see strains of authoritarianism coming from the left. 

And I got that because you just tagged millions of normal people ( I called them moderates) as anti-democratic insurrectionists, and from your tone in various other posts I infer a certain view of them as a monolithic group of people so far removed from your sense of morality and values that they are not worth trying to understand or communicate with…or “othering” as some call it.

Edited by Luddite

8 minutes ago, Luddite said:

Is it possible that you don’t see authoritarianism from the left because that’s your tribe?

I live in a very Republican state and voted against Trump… but I definitely see strains of authoritarianism coming from the left. 

I can't vote and don't really have a tribe, but no, there's nothing comparable to 'let's put forward bills to specifically target the 4 transgender kids in the Utah high school sports system' or 'let's prosecute parents of transgender teenagers in Texas as sex offenders for trying to support their children' or 'lets make all sorts of threats at Disney because they've said something we don't like, even tho that's going to put the property taxes of the citizens in the county up by $2k pa' or 'let's end democracy and the American experiment' coming from the left. Well, what left there *is* in this country. Can you give any examples of the strains you're seeing?

Edited by carpetmonster

3 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I can't vote and don't really have a tribe, but no, there's nothing comparable to 'let's put forward bills to specifically target the 4 transgender kids in the Utah high school sports system' or 'let's prosecute parents of transgender teenagers in Texas as sex offenders for trying to support their children' or 'lets make all sorts of threats at Disney because they've said something we don't like, even tho that's going to put the property taxes of the citizens in the county up by $2k pa' or 'let's end democracy and the American experiment' coming from the left. Well, what left there *is* in this country. 

Well, I’ll just have to disagree and say that I definitely see dangerous authoritarianism from the left, but as I don’t want to be on my phone any more tonight, impotently typing responses to someone equally as impotent I am, and as I am sure there’s nothing I can say that would convince you otherwise, and even if there was it would be of very little consequence, I want to thank you for the chat and bid you good night 👍

2 minutes ago, Luddite said:

Well, I’ll just have to disagree and say that I definitely see dangerous authoritarianism from the left, but as I don’t want to be on my phone any more tonight, impotently typing responses to someone equally as impotent I am, and as I am sure there’s nothing I can say that would convince you otherwise, and even if there was it would be of very little consequence, I want to thank you for the chat and bid you good night 👍

Please, try to convince me otherwise. Any examples at all.