The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t know if it’s been mention on here before, but there’s been a spate of police officers who were involved in protecting the Capital Building who have committed suicide.  This is the fourth one.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/03/kyle-defreytag-us-capitol-attack-police-officer-dies

It’s hard to know if they were other issues involved but that seems to be a disproportionately high number.

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Don’t know if it’s been mention on here before, but there’s been a spate of police officers who were involved in protecting the Capital Building who have committed suicide.  This is the fourth one.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/03/kyle-defreytag-us-capitol-attack-police-officer-dies

It’s hard to know if they were other issues involved but that seems to be a disproportionately high number.

It may just be a coincidence in these cases, but there will have been a number of people who've had their ideas about America shaken by the recent popularity of fascism, and just how easy it is to forment and support a coup with absolutely no consequences for the people at the head of the movement.

I don't think anyone would be terribly surprised by the possibility here, but a lot of Americans have an almost fairytale, child-like view of their country, and they'll have found all of this devastating.

Edited by BFTD
Too much "here"

It was a cushy job for retired police officers, the most some of them had to cope with was a tourist trying to nick a memento. Then the shit hit the fan. There were probably others who sympathised with the rioters and turned a blind eye, then found out what happened to colleagues who tried to do their job. Then all the chain of people above who delayed assistance.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It was a cushy job for retired police officers, the most some of them had to cope with was a tourist trying to nick a memento. Then the shit hit the fan. There were probably others who sympathised with the rioters and turned a blind eye, then found out what happened to colleagues who tried to do their job. Then all the chain of people above who delayed assistance.

There are Republicans still claiming it was all harmless larks. A boisterous tourist group, I believe one politician described it as, a few months after literally shitting himself during the siege.

It's going to happen again, and it'll likely be worse.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

There are Republicans still claiming it was all harmless larks. A boisterous tourist group, I believe one politician described it as, a few months after literally shitting himself during the siege.

It's going to happen again, and it'll likely be worse.

I doubt it. Having Trump still in the White House after he'd lost an election and just switched most of the top Pentagon and DOJ jobs can only happen once in a lifetime or in a Hollywood B movie. 

40 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I doubt it. Having Trump still in the White House after he'd lost an election and just switched most of the top Pentagon and DOJ jobs can only happen once in a lifetime or in a Hollywood B movie. 

The worry is that, while Trump is still the figurehead, dozens of figures throughout the Republican Party have outed themselves as being absolutely OK with overturning democracy so long as it puts them in charge, and millions and millions of people are sympathising with them on that. And it's not even a new phenomenon - they've all been gradually whittling away at it for some time, with their ridiculous voter district gerrymandering and voting restrictions in areas where the opposition have strong support. They'd just no idea they could get away with doing it so openly until Trump came along.

The Republicans will absolutely be back in charge in four years time too, and the top priority is to make sure they can't be beaten again, regardless of election results.

14 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The worry is that, while Trump is still the figurehead, dozens of figures throughout the Republican Party have outed themselves as being absolutely OK with overturning democracy so long as it puts them in charge, and millions and millions of people are sympathising with them on that. And it's not even a new phenomenon - they've all been gradually whittling away at it for some time, with their ridiculous voter district gerrymandering and voting restrictions in areas where the opposition have strong support. They'd just no idea they could get away with doing it so openly until Trump came along.

The Republicans will absolutely be back in charge in four years time too, and the top priority is to make sure they can't be beaten again, regardless of election results.

I have a friend, a very intelligent man who has spent a colossal amount of time investigating the US election and he is convinced that Trump was robbed. He’s not a Trump fan but is certain that he won.

I didn’t mind Trump on quite a few issues but I am quite happy with the result.

Strange times!!

28 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I have a friend, a very intelligent man who has spent a colossal amount of time investigating the US election and he is convinced that Trump was robbed. He’s not a Trump fan but is certain that he won.

Strange times!!

How did this very intelligent man actually conduct his investigation? On the internet?

Edited by welshbairn

36 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Strange times!!

Hmm